Overclocking PNY GTX 960 4GB

thekrang

Hey guy's. A friend of mine just recently bought an PNY GTX 960 4GB, it actually performs really well, but he wants a little more.  He decided to do OC but we haven't done anything with that so, we want your advice or tutorial  :) the other components are: FX 8350 stock, 990FXA-UD3 and a Corsair CX 600M

prev_PNY-Graphics-Cards-GeForce-GTX-960-

Btw, we saw the oc they made in this site: http://www.pcgamewar...cs-card-review/ but they are using another CPU and a Bigger PSU so we didn't want it to do it that way

I doubt you would could get a big OC with that cooler but just use a program like MSI Afterburner, increase the core clock and memory clock by like 10 or 20mhz at a time game and record temps if it's safe (under 80 C) then OC some more and continue until it gets too hot or crashes meaning that you increase the voltage and overclock some but be careful and if it gets too hot downclock until it's safe

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

get a overclocking program like MSI afterburner wich is my favorite, then creap up the core clock 10-30mhz at a time and memory clock just the same(i have found that memory clock you can be a bit more agressive with) and play some games or run a stress test somthing liek firestrike is a good program, theres a free version on steam, and if you see any artifacts(black shapes or other things that shouldent be) reduce it a small bit and try again, and if not turn up the clock and memory some more, it takes some time but it can be pritty fun sometimes and also OC'ing will likely void any warrenty that may be on the card and overclocking your grafics card can crash your PC so dont be afraid if it just turns off mid benchmark or something, also remember to save the overclock your using in one of the slots in MSI after burner so you know what you got up to if your PC just shuts down or crashes! also keep an eye on temperature if it gets to 80 ish under load its probably time to stop because of thermal throttle and that high temperatures may damage you GPU, good luck with the overclocking :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016