Buying new headphones. Need help.

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for new headphones as my current ones are breaking slowly... Very slowly.

I currently have Sharkoon Xtatic Digital 5.1. (analogue). I've had them for well over 5 years, but now the bass is cutting out often, and the left speaker is becoming quite. It also produces static if the Windows volume is over 19% which I have to lower by 1% every 1-2 months.

They have been through a lot. From dropping them, to my cats having them as a feast, to the pins bending. It's about time they retire.

So, I have a dedicated internal sound card that I am more than pleased with. Asus Essence STX II 7.1.

I don't think the rest of my specs are needed, but if the are then I'll add them later, or you can find them on my page if needed.

I need headphones that work well in games, but even better when listening to music. They MUST be analogue and true 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound. None of this USB or virtual rubbish.

I would also like them to be over ear. I get pain if they are on ear, or in-ear.

I play games often and love what 5.1 offers, it makes you apart of them game and I need to keep that.

I also listen to a lot of music. When I'm not working then I'm either gaming, listening to music or watching anime. So headphones are a big part of my personal life.

I listen to bassy music and love a good bit of base in game. I absolutely adore base. Base is love, base is life.

I completely understand that bass can interfere with a gaming session. Like a frag grenade can over power every other sound in a game. That's not good, however in music the bass is a must. So in short I need a pair of headphones that can complete both tasks, rather than shining at one and lacking on the other.

again, let me know if you need any more information regarding my system, headphones or general information.

I have no idea what I'm looking for as I'm no expert, far from it. I'm just a consumer hoping to find what works best for me.

My budget is around £100-200, £250 maximum. There must be an absolutely good reason to hit £250.

I hope you can all help me 'cos it seems as if I'm unable to help myself!

It's not a race to the bottom.

They MUST be analogue and true 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound. None of this USB or virtual rubbish.

I would also like them to be over ear. I get pain if they are on ear, or in-ear.

I play games often and love what 5.1 offers, it makes you apart of them game and I need to keep that.

I also listen to a lot of music. When I'm not working then I'm either gaming, listening to music or watching anime. So headphones are a big part of my personal life.

I listen to bassy music and love a good bit of base in game. I absolutely adore base. Base is love, base is life.

I completely understand that bass can interfere with a gaming session. Like a frag grenade can over power every other sound in a game. That's not good, however in music the bass is a must. So in short I need a pair of headphones that can complete both tasks, rather than shining at one and lacking on the other.

First off, read this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/331886-71-headphones/

You really, really, really don't need "True 5.1/7.1" and that's a fact. An absolute fact. 7.1 headphones are garbage, and aren't even worth 1/4 of what they charge you. All games already use virtual surround stuff, and you'll have a better experience with a good pair of stereo headphones (Which you can easily get with your budget). As for bass, good headphones can have all the bass you could want, without having it bleed into the mids and highs, and ruin the experience. On a good pair of headphones, your example with a frag grenade simply wouldn't happen unless that game is designed that way (CS:GO with flashbangs, etc.). Also, at this price point, just about any headphones you buy would be very well suited to movies, games, music and anime. A good headphone is good at all that stuff, for the most part. 

Honestly, the Philips Fidelio X2 is a very good choice if they are only for indoor use. They are open back, you using them outside would not really be a good experience. I'm assuming that since you didn't mention anything to the contrary, that these will be sitting at your desk pretty much permanently. Another good one would be the Hifiman HE-400s (the "S" is a part of the model name, not a pluralization.) 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

First off, read this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/331886-71-headphones/

You really, really, really don't need "True 5.1/7.1" and that's a fact. An absolute fact. 7.1 headphones are garbage, and aren't even worth 1/4 of what they charge you. All games already use virtual surround stuff, and you'll have a better experience with a good pair of stereo headphones (Which you can easily get with your budget). As for bass, good headphones can have all the bass you could want, without having it bleed into the mids and highs, and ruin the experience. On a good pair of headphones, your example with a frag grenade simply wouldn't happen unless that game is designed that way (CS:GO with flashbangs, etc.). Also, at this price point, just about any headphones you buy would be very well suited to movies, games, music and anime. A good headphone is good at all that stuff, for the most part. 

Honestly, the Philips Fidelio X2 is a very good choice if they are only for indoor use. They are open back, you using them outside would not really be a good experience. I'm assuming that since you didn't mention anything to the contrary, that these will be sitting at your desk pretty much permanently. Another good one would be the Hifiman HE-400s (the "S" is a part of the model name, not a pluralization.) 

Thank you for linking me that post. I read through it and also watched the videos, even read other people's comments. However, I personally do believe there is a difference between virtual and analogue "true" surround sound.

Either my mind is playing tricks on me (like a placebo effect) or I'm special (Lord please!) but I really do think there is a difference especially with gaming.

About bass: I have another set of headphones for my other machine Roccat Kave XTD Digital. They are stereo, virtual 5.1, with "bass" but it's far from good enough. So far away from being good enough that it's not even funny. That's why I need a separate driver dedicated for bass. I need the headphones to shake. Hearing it and feeling it are completely different.

7.1 & 5.1 : I also think 7.1 could be pointless as 5.1 works perfectly but I would be a fool to not at least look at them while I'm looking for options. I'm looking to buy something that I don't know what I'm looking for. If I was to then limit myself than more fool me as I'm eliminating something that could be a potential winner.

Usage: Yes, they will be sitting on my desk connected to the computer. They will never be used outside, or on another machine. They will be used along side a set of Logitech Z506. I have Y spitters connected to the headphones and speakers to the sound card. Headphones for gaming and private music (too late at night) then the speakers for evening time.

I appreciate your help.

le snip

There is no such thing as true surround in headphones. It's physically impossible. You may like the implementation of a particular virtual surround headphone more than another, but that has nothing to do with the number of dedicated drivers. Surround in headphones is determined mostly by the DSP implementation.

Also, do not expect "surround" headphones to do well with music.

Your best bet to get the best of both worlds is a good pair of headphones and either Razer surround or a soundcard with Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D.

I would try to go for Beyerdynamic DT770 (or DT990 if more affordable) and a soundcard from Asus or Creative with one of those virtual surround technologies. Might be worth trying Razer surround first if you haven't already and saving a bit of money.

You say you love bass; might as well go for broke with the JVC HA-SZ2000...

:D

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

You say you love bass; might as well go for broke with the JVC HA-SZ2000...

:D

Those look interesting. I watched a few YouTube video's showing what they could do, and in some you can see the base moving paper. That got my saliva moving.

Those look interesting. I watched a few YouTube video's showing what they could do, and in some you can see the base moving paper. That got my saliva moving.

I actually owned a pair of those for a couple months. They are literally good at one thing: bass. So much so that everything else just isn't enjoyable to listen to. They are heavily veiled and with the amount of bass they produce I could only listen to them for 15-30 minute sessions. They will make you re-think whether you really LOVE bass. I did enjoy the ultra-low frequencies from those headphones, especially when they are vibrating your whole head.

Really though, there are better options that can do more than just bass.

If you are serious about bass it might be best for you to check out the Basshead thread over on Head-fi. Those guys know a lot more than I do and usually back up their statements with measurements.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

I actually owned a pair of those for a couple months. They are literally good at one thing: bass. So much so that everything else just isn't enjoyable to listen to. They are heavily veiled and with the amount of bass they produce I could only listen to them for 15-30 minute sessions. They will make you re-think whether you really LOVE bass. I did enjoy the ultra-low frequencies from those headphones, especially when they are vibrating your whole head.

Really though, there are better options that can do more than just bass.

If you are serious about bass it might be best for you to check out the Basshead thread over on Head-fi. Those guys know a lot more than I do and usually back up their statements with measurements.

Is there no way to increase / decrease the bass when needed?

Is it at a static volume, or follows the main volume?

Might as well get some Custom One Pros at that point.

No, and truthfully when not boosted it isn't much more bass than a "normal" set of headphones. They pretty much need a dac/amp with custom EQ settings to boost bass or make them sound good at all.

I'd recommend the audio technical ath m50x. Probably the best headphones for your price point

gallery_40059_1318_13136.png

I'd recommend the audio technical ath m50x. Probably the best headphones for your price point

They look very... Plastic.

gallery_40059_1318_13136.png

mean, but +1

also, OP, please no surround. If anything get virtual bc all of those tiny drivers they stuff into a closed pair of headphones are absolute garbage and for 300 euros, you can do very well. For a self pronounced bass lover, I agree with the fidelio x2, but I would also like to throw the he400 into the mix with a proper tube amp. Mmmm

mean, but +1

also, OP, please no surround. If anything get virtual bc all of those tiny drivers they stuff into a closed pair of headphones are absolute garbage and for 300 euros, you can do very well. For a self pronounced bass lover, I agree with the fidelio x2, but I would also like to throw the he400 into the mix with a proper tube amp. Mmmm

Orthodynamic w/ tube amp? HA!

Orthodynamic w/ tube amp? HA!

Depends what tube amp. A Lyr? Well then we've got a combo.

But I see what you're saying, a normal tube amp won't do it.

The M50X is becoming the John Cena of headphones all of the sudden... and I don't mean that as a compliment.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

The M50X is becoming the John Cena of headphones all of the sudden... and I don't mean that as a compliment.

Probably more like nicki minaj

or iggy azalea

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

or iggy azalea

As a wrestling fan, John Cena's worse. 

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

As a wrestling fan, John Cena's worse.

but "you can't see me!"

Hey! New SIgnature! 

but "you can't see me!"

Even Stevie Wonder locked in a basement in some random ass place can see Cena's untalented and unwanted ass (well, soccer moms and kids like him more often than everyone else who actually watches wrestling for what wrestling is...) and shit.

5.1 gaming headphones are a joke man.... Look up Z reviews up youtube as well. He reviews Cans good for gaming/music and goes from cheap to expensive.

There simply is no such thing as 5.1 audio in something that is right over your ears directly. 2 higher quality drivers will produce MUCH better sound than a bunch of 30mm drivers stuffed inside 1 cup. All those little drivers are going straight into your ear buddy, same as anything does.

You got to admit John cena phone prank is awsome though

ssl left out sbx studios on virtual surround

but you can listen to samples of most here,