980ti SL BOTTLENECK

Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Definitely not.

Is this a joke thread or real? 

Either way, no, no it will not

no it will not that is a beast of a cpu

Not at all. You will be fine.

Nope... Not even a 4790k

I'm almost scared to comment. I think that it could potentially bottleneck his 980TIs.

First of all:

The 5820k isn't exactly the best CPU when it comes to single core performance. A 4790k should outperform it pretty easily in that regard.

Most games rely on single core performance.

I've seen that my i5-4670 is already a bottleneck for my two 980s (NOT TI), so what do you guys think would happen if you have practically the same single core performance as my i5 (if stock speed) with two 980 TIs? :)

I could be completly wrong here and if I'm please feel free to tell me, but also tell me why.

Even if I'm right, this theory should only apply to games that rely heavily on single core performance. If his CPU is overclocked to hell, then it might not be a problem at all.

Hi guys i was planning to upgrade my build by adding in a second 980ti but im wondering if my i7 5820k will bottleneck two 980ti's in sli

Definitely not.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Nope... Not even a 4790k

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

lol

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

Definitely not.

no it will not that is a beast of a cpu

Nope... Not even a 4790k

I'm almost scared to comment. I think that it could potentially bottleneck his 980TIs.

First of all:

The 5820k isn't exactly the best CPU when it comes to single core performance. A 4790k should outperform it pretty easily in that regard.

I've seen that my i5-4670 is already a bottleneck for my two 980s (NOT TI), so what do you guys think would happen if you have practically the same single core performance as my i5 (if stock speed) with two 980 TIs? :)

I could be completly wrong here and if I'm please feel free to tell me, but also tell me why.

Even if I'm right, this theory should only apply to games that rely heavily on single core performance. If his CPU is overclocked to hell, then it might not be a problem at all.

First of all:

I like your comment for your explenetion. Im sorry to say but something others have failed to give.  I have a fractal design kelvin T12 to cool my cpu so i imagine that it can give me a decent overclock.

I like your comment for your explenetion. Im sorry to say but something others have failed to give.  I have a fractal design kelvin T12 to cool my cpu so i imagine that it can give me a decent overclock.

Thanks!

Something I might have forgotten to say is that I don't think you'll notice the bottleneck if it's actually there.

People tend to say that there isn't a bottleneck if the bottleneck isn't very noticeable, for example by loosing 5fps. For me that is still a bottleneck.

I'm pretty sure that your 5820k will create a bottleneck, but the amount of FPS you loose isn't actually very noticeable. Let's say BF4 drops from 200 FPS to 160 FPS as an example.

You should definitly try to give your CPU at least a slight overclock just to minimize the chance of a potential bottleneck ;)

Thanks!

Something I might have forgotten to say is that I don't think you'll notice the bottleneck if it's actually there.

People tend to say that there isn't a bottleneck if the bottleneck isn't very noticeable, for example by loosing 5fps. For me that is still a bottleneck.

I'm pretty sure that your 5820k will create a bottleneck, but the amount of FPS you loose isn't actually very noticeable. Let's say BF4 drops from 200 FPS to 160 FPS as an example.

You should definitly try to give your CPU at least a slight overclock just to minimize the chance of a potential bottleneck ;)

thanks for the help man.