Whitehouse fianlly responds to 'Pardon Edward Snowden' petition

Syntaxvgm

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/pardon-edward-snowden

OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE RESPONSE TO
Pardon Edward Snowden
A Response to Your Petition on Edward Snowden
Thanks for signing a petition about Edward Snowden. This is an issue that many Americans feel strongly about. Because his actions have had serious consequences for our national security, we took this matter to Lisa Monaco, the President's Advisor on Homeland Security and Counterterrorism. Here's what she had to say:

"Since taking office, President Obama has worked with Congress to secure appropriate reforms that balance the protection of civil liberties with the ability of national security professionals to secure information vital to keep Americans safe.

As the President said in announcing recent intelligence reforms, "We have to make some important decisions about how to protect ourselves and sustain our leadership in the world, while upholding the civil liberties and privacy protections that our ideals and our Constitution require."

Instead of constructively addressing these issues, Mr. Snowden's dangerous decision to steal and disclose classified information had severe consequences for the security of our country and the people who work day in and day out to protect it.

If he felt his actions were consistent with civil disobedience, then he should do what those who have taken issue with their own government do: Challenge it, speak out, engage in a constructive act of protest, and -- importantly -- accept the consequences of his actions. He should come home to the United States, and be judged by a jury of his peers -- not hide behind the cover of an authoritarian regime. Right now, he's running away from the consequences of his actions.

We live in a dangerous world. We continue to face grave security threats like terrorism, cyber-attacks, and nuclear proliferation that our intelligence community must have all the lawful tools it needs to address. The balance between our security and the civil liberties that our ideals and our Constitution require deserves robust debate and those who are willing to engage in it here at home."

Follow @WeThePeople on Twitter all day long for a series of Q+As with various Administration officials on the petition responses we released today.

Tell us what you think about this response and We the People.

TL:DR

As I've always said, if he didn't leave the country, they would probably have killed him, and if not, only to prevent public outcry. The ONLY reason Holder took the death penalty off of the table was they had no way to extradite him and wanted him to come willingly somehow. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If you say so.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

If you say so.

Go listen to interviews with senators from the time, both republican and democrat. Language as direct as "I want him hanged" was even a few times

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

inb4 look at all the prevented terrorist attacks bullshit

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Yes he should have just used the legal ways to raise his concerns, which means he could raise 0 fucking concerns legally so their position is that Snowden should have just shut the fuck up.

Typical politician bullshit: Cry about people upholding the law even in the face of evidence of them not upholding the fucking law.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I haven't really followed the Edward Snowden story, and since i'm not in the US (i'm aware he exposed information concerning other countries, like the UK) i don't really know exactly what information he leaked other than exposing the government through doing so; how did the information he leaked pose a threat to national security? In what way? (i'm not questioning it, i'm asking)

EDIT: I don't mean things like NSA, GCHQ, PRISM etc. I mean the things that pose a risk to national security. 

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/pardon-edward-snowden

TL:DR

As I've always said, if he didn't leave the country, they would probably have killed him, and if not, only to prevent public outcry. The ONLY reason Holder took the death penalty off of the table was they had no way to extradite him and wanted him to come willingly somehow. 

One of my favorite looks at some of the issues.

He's a hero to the American public, it's a shame it has to be this way

Not just the American either, Uk, Europe, pretty much everywhere...

He should come home to the United States, and be judged by a jury of his peers -- not hide behind the cover of an authoritarian regime.

This part makes me laugh, as if the United States' government isn't an authoritarian regime with its own interests at its core.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

So. They wanted him to expose the government doing unlawful things by following the law and exposing himself. That seems like bad logic to me. I'm surprised he isn't killed already...

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Go listen to interviews with senators from the time, both republican and democrat. Language as direct as "I want him hanged" was even a few times

Indeed. And Donald Trump says almost all Mexican immigrants are racists.

Besides, according to the letter of the law (I do disagree with what he did personally, but I recognize why he and many others can see it as a good/nessicary feed) his actions are pretty unilateral. He did compromise national security and he did damage the perspective of the country globally (even if really most of the outrage is feigned by foreign governments because they know we do that already. They try themselves as we know they do. I do not know how much more successful we are than them, but I know we are not alone in trying.) So yea pretty much if he did come back he would be convicted of treason. And that's not even prejudiced, its literally the letter of the law.

Now I don't particularly think he should be tried and I recognize that he won't come back but the US government CANNOT make any other comment than it wants him back.

So with that in mind, I wish him the best of luck on his future endeavors and I hope that for everyone's sake he doesn't find himself in the US in the future.

NOTE even if the Obama administration personally agrees that he did the right thing or that he shouldnt come back and face a trial, they cannot say anything other than YOU GET BACK HERE!!!

Also, he can at least be thankful the US doesn't conduct trials in absentia for treason.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I haven't really followed the Edward Snowden story, and since i'm not in the US (i'm aware he exposed information concerning other countries, like the UK) i don't really know exactly what information he leaked other than exposing the government through doing so; how did the information he leaked pose a threat to national security? In what way? (i'm not questioning it, i'm asking)

EDIT: I don't mean things like NSA, GCHQ, PRISM etc. I mean the things that pose a risk to national security. 

From what I understand most of what he leaked was domestic info about three letter organizations spying on the american people. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

From what I understand most of what he leaked was domestic info about three letter organizations spying on the american people. 

That's what i mean, i don't understand how that's a risk to national security? Other than them no longer being at an advantage as we now know what they're doing... How's that a security risk?

That's what i mean, i don't understand how that's a risk to national security? Other than them no longer being at an advantage as we now know what they're doing... How's that a security risk?

Which is a detriment to national security. Indeed however some minority of documents were sensitive. (Particularly those related to foreign allies).

Again read my full quotes above before killing me.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

They are claiming that they can gain intelligence on foreign threats by monitoring the american (and other) people. 

Personally I don't buy it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Because potential terrorists would know about them spying and use other means of communication?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I read (and/or skimmed) (parts of) it (up to) three times, and it seems like it's all political bullshittery and dodging the question, and deflecting the blame to Edward Snowden.

The petition: "Pardon E.S."

The response: "Weeellll, none of this would have happened if he would have stayed back here and not run off like a little pussy and let him be judged by people we can pick to convict him. So he gets what's coming for exposing us doing illegal things."

I'm not sure why I expected anything more than the usual political response, but I did. :c

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

I read (and/or skimmed) (parts of) it (up to) three times, and it seems like it's all political bullshittery and dodging the question, and deflecting the blame to Edward Snowden.

The petition: "Pardon E.S."

The response: "Weeellll, none of this would have happened if he would have stayed back here and not run off like a little pussy and let him be judged by people we can pick to convict him. So he gets what's coming for exposing us doing illegal things."

I'm not sure why I expected anything more than the usual political response, but I did. :c

see post 12

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

see post 12

this one?

Indeed. And Donald Trump says almost all Mexican immigrants are racists.

Besides, according to the letter of the law (I do disagree with what he did personally, but I recognize why he and many others can see it as a good/nessicary feed) his actions are pretty unilateral. He did compromise national security and he did damage the perspective of the country globally (even if really most of the outrage is feigned by foreign governments because they know we do that already. They try themselves as we know they do. I do not know how much more successful we are than them, but I know we are not alone in trying.) So yea pretty much if he did come back he would be convicted of treason. And that's not even prejudiced, its literally the letter of the law.

Now I don't particularly think he should be tried and I recognize that he won't come back but the US government CANNOT make any other comment than it wants him back.

So with that in mind, I wish him the best of luck on his future endeavors and I hope that for everyone's sake he doesn't find himself in the US in the future.

NOTE even if the Obama administration personally agrees that he did the right thing or that he shouldnt come back and face a trial, they cannot say anything other than YOU GET BACK HERE!!!

Also, he can at least be thankful the US doesn't conduct trials in absentia for treason.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

This part makes me laugh, as if the United States' government isn't an authoritarian regime with its own interests at its core.

its frighteningly close to, if not a hybrid oligarchy/democracy, which is how the country was founded in the first place.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

this one?

Indeed, one cannot expect them to not give that response given the letter of the law (even if they supported him personally which I don't believe they do).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Because potential terrorists would know about them spying and use other means of communication?

I heard officials use that argument time and time again.  Any terrorist who is smart enough to tie his own shoelaces already took precautions against surveillance even way before 9/11

Also :

post-139790-0-92855300-1438113606.jpg

that's not the point

the point the politicians are trying to make - that 90% of the raging pitchforks over the internet just aren't listening too - are that you can't deny that Snowden expelled privileged information that he wasn't allowed too

as if....Intel hires you and gives you access to R&D information, it's for the purposes of your job towards the company goal. It is still not your information to share to the world. If you have a problem with the company plans, you bring it up in a civilized manner - you don't light a fire and hand out pitchforks. You probably signed paperwork when hired on to be made clear on these kind of things

the severity of this is that we're talking about secret government security information and organizations. When you're hired on to these organizations, you're not just given access to this stuff to just do what you want with it. It belongs to the government. You are taking government secrets and sharing them to the world - it's treason. Stop defining it as morally right or wrong, it's still treason

the grey line is whether him bringing up the issue "normally" would have worked because of the nature of what was exposed - the NSA was never supposed to be exposed to the public and always be a secret, so the other side of the argument is - "how would Snowden have raised awareness of something that doesn't exist"