Motorola announces the Moto X Style, Moto X Play, and 3rd gen Moto G

TopWargamer

Source 1: http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-x-style-specs-price-availability-everything-629309/

Source 2: http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-x-play-specs-price-availability-629317/

Source 3: http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-g-3rd-gen-announced-everything-you-need-to-know-629129/

Source 4: http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-x-style-vs-play-629417/

Moto X Style

The Moto X Style was already covered here on LTT, so I won't stay long on it. The jist is that you're getting high end specs for a mere $400, and that puts the Moto X Style as the OnePlus Two killer. It's awesome. To check out the full report, go to this thread

moto-style.jpg

Moto X Play

The Moto X Play is easily aimed at the affordable-but-still-awesome phone market, and is aimed straight at the Zenfone 2, although the Zenfone is spec'd a little better. Still though, the Moto X Play is a beast, and it's only $300!

So here's the spec run down. You get a 5.5" 1080p display, 1.7GHz Snapdragon 615, 2GB of RAM, 16GB or 32GB of storage with microSD expansion, 21MP main camera, 5MP front-facing camera, a humongous 3,630mAh battery, LTE of course, a water repellent coating, and it'll run Android 5.1.1.

That's crazy, right? Let's do some phone math real quick. Low powered chip + huge battery + Motorola's battery optimization techniques = super long battery life. how long? Who knows! But you'll easily make it through 2, maybe even 3 days of battery life.

The Moto X Play will launch in August of this year in 55 countries, but the US is, unfortunately, not one of those countries. That's a real shame too, because I think this phone would have sold extremely well. Hopefully they'll bring it here later!

Moto_X_Play_White_Front_Back.jpg

Moto G 3rd gen

The Moto G is arguably one of the best bang for your buck smartphones that you can currently get, and Motorola is keeping that low $180 price tag on their new Moto G.

With a $180 price tag, this phone is aimed directly at the Zenfone 2 as well, although, again, the Zenfone 2 does have better specs. The new Moto G is still a great phone though. So here's what you get: 5" 720p display, 1.4Ghz Snapdragon 410, 1GB or 2GB of RAM (more on this in a second), 8GB or 16GB of storage with microSD expansion, 13MP main camera, 5MP front-facing camera, a 2,470mAh battery, LTE, dual-SIM, water proofing that is IPX7 rated, and it'll run Android 5.1.1

Okay cool specs aside, blah blah blah. Let's talk about this 1GB or 2GB of RAM nonsense. If you order the 8GB version, your Moto G will come with 1GB of RAM. If you order the 16GB version, your moto G will come with 2GB of RAM. Why on earth didn't they make it 2GB of RAM across the board? The world may never know.

Anyways, there's no release date for the new Moto G yet, but when it does launch, it will cost $180 for the 8GB version and $220 for the 16GB version.

c5a57f2e65.jpg

So what do you think about Motorola's new devices? They're all pretty great, but the Moto G is a bit more confusing, because there are better phones for the same price. 

COMIC SANS

All probably otherwise great phones with shit cameras and no sd slots

not this time bro, all of them have sd slot up to 128gb (32gb on the g) and cameras got a beefy upgrade in all of them, apparently dxo ranked the style better that the iphone 6 and 6+ and the G has the same sensor that the nexus 6 which while its not best is much much better that the last gen G

All of the phones have microSD expansion...

As for the camera, I'm not sure about the other phones, but the Moto X Style has a pretty darn good camera. A photo test plus a link to more photos from the Moto X Style can be found in the other LTT thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/417268-moto-x-style-best-in-class-camera/

tumblr_ns0ey45wqP1rfyzpbo1_500.gif

camera still probably sucks.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This is saucy

Not sure how I feel about the design of the back though.

All with shit cameras and no sd slot s

not this time bro, all of them have sd slot up to 128gb (32gb on the g) and cameras got a beefy upgrade in all of them, apparently dxo ranked the style better that the iphone 6 and 6+ and the G has the same sensor that the nexus 6 which while its not best is much much better that the last gen G

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

All probably otherwise great phones with shit cameras and no sd slots

As for the camera, I'm not sure about the other phones, but the Moto X Style has a pretty darn good camera. A photo test plus a link to more photos from the Moto X Style can be found in the other LTT thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/417268-moto-x-style-best-in-class-camera/

COMIC SANS

Is that a wood colour(?) on the back of that phone?

Technically it's bamboo afaik. You can get it as part of Moto Maker, which all of these phones can take use of.

COMIC SANS

With a $180 price tag, this phone is aimed directly at the Zenfone 2 as well, although, again, the Zenfone 2 does have better specs. The new Moto G is still a great phone though. So here's what you get: 5" 720p display, 1.4Ghz Snapdragon 410, 1GB or 2GB of RAM (more on this in a second), 8GB or 16GB of storage with microSD expansion, 13MP main camera, 5MP front-facing camera, a 2,470mAh battery, LTE, dual-SIM, and it'll run Android 5.1.1

Don't forget IPX7 waterproofing on the G :)

"Rawr XD"

Is that a wood colour(?) on the back of that phone?

Its not just colored, the moto Xs have all have a wood back option.

I would have prefered a smaller screen, as I love all generations of the moto X, but I also prefer a smaller screen. I really liked the size of the 2014 model.

Don't forget IPX7 waterproofing on the G :)

Thanks for pointing this out. Obviously I looked over it. Fixed!

COMIC SANS

tumblr_ns0ey45wqP1rfyzpbo1_500.gif

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I would totally get this phone if...they had included dual SIM support. It's a real shame they didn't, as they'd have something that absolutely destroys the OnePlus if they did.

Also, fast charging does not eliminate the need for a larger battery. It doesn't help me at all if I'm not near a wall outlet.

Where did you get the 32gb info for the Play? As far as I can tell, it will only be available in the 16gb variety.

This phone would be awesome as well, if they had included dual front facing speakers. Alas, they didn't.

Seems like a few short cuts were made on each device.

Still amazing advances, especially with that screen to body ratio.

It's rated the third best camera on a mobile device right now...so....no.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Where did you get the 32gb info for the Play? As far as I can tell, it will only be available in the 16gb variety.

From source 2. It states that it will have a 16GB model and a 32GB model.

COMIC SANS

From source 2. It states that it will have a 16GB model and a 32GB model.

Odd. Motorola's site only lists 16GB.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The new moto X would be good if the OnePlus Two didnt exist 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

The new moto X would be good if the OnePlus Two didnt exist 

IMO the new Moto X (referring to the Moto X Style) looks much better than the OnePlus Two. I was considering getting the OP2, but after seeing the new Moto X, I'm getting that instead.

COMIC SANS

IMO the new Moto X (referring to the Moto X Style) looks much better than the OnePlus Two. I was considering getting the OP2, but after seeing the new Moto X, I'm getting that instead.

True, but if you want a better phone for gaming, get the OP2 as IMO the 810 is not ready for 1440p gaming. 

The OP2 is very cheap here in the UK, so i will either get that or a Z5 Compact (leaning to the Z5 my mum needs to use up her upgrade, and the 4.7 inch screen will be a perfect size for me, as well as it will be overkill for gaming due to the 720p screen). However, both phone's bootloaders are unlocked, so i can flash ROMs when software support ends 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Nice. I want one so bad, and if not one of them...waybe the other Moto Gs will drop in price so I can finally snag one. :D

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |