Microsoft wants $1.49 a month to remove the ads it shows inside Solitaire on Windows 10

Remind me:

FCE700D3F11115113938019827712_25ee10e1d7

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Will they sell skins and hats for solitaire too?

They sold themes for the windows 8 one.

Now it sounds like W10 is a phone.

Cause it's on all the devices... :D

Microsoft, lets be honest. This is Windows we're talking about. Removing the ads will probably be as simple as changing one or two registry keys. And if that doesn't work there's always online solitaire.

Which will have ads on the website...

Sorry but if I pay for a product then I expect it not to shove ads down my throat. Main reason why I don't have cable or Hulu.

Yes, I get that W10 will be free for the first year for legitimate copies, but I will be buying my own physical copy anyway for clean installs.

Solitaire probably isn't included, it wasn't with Win8.

You can do clean installs once you get the win10 key supposedly.

I won't go to GNU/Linux. I will just stay on Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes all these idiotic changes.

The only thing I want is for Microsoft to release an OS that is better or the same as Windows 7 in every single way, with 0 drawbacks. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to ask for. To not make your product worse.

Not going to happen in this world as the landscape has changed.

Hah... "Free" .. it's a high quality Solitaire. So "free" means get ads .. because else how would the devs make money?

Traditionally by buying the OS. Beyond this year this is going to cost £100 to buy. Is it going to still have ads then too?

Traditionally by buying the OS. Beyond this year this is going to cost £100 to buy. Is it going to still have ads then too?

Yep because the ads are in the app, just like most other free apps. It just happens to be included. Probably a good thing too many people didn't like that you had to go and download it in win8.

Not going to happen in this world as the landscape has changed.

It would if people don't accept all the bullshit. The only reason why they are making some things worse is because they are getting away with it.

Yep because the ads are in the app, just like most other free apps. It just happens to be included. Probably a good thing too many people didn't like that you had to go and download it in win8.

There are ads in other places as well such as the start menu and login screen. Although they can be disabled (at least for the time being).

Just like how my phone comes with ads in the Maps and Health apps that come with it? Owait that doesn't happen because that would be fucking awful.

It would if people don't accept all the bullshit. The only reason why they are making some things worse is because they are getting away with it.

There are ads in other places as well such as the start menu and login screen. Although they can be disabled (at least for the time being).

Only ones that wouldn't be disable able without out re-edit would probably be the free bing version like what win 8.1 has I imagine.

Just like how my phone comes with ads in the Maps and Health apps that come with it? Owait that doesn't happen because that would be fucking awful.

Your phone unless you have a base install from Google has ads everywhere.

And that's a game vs a utility. Actually ads I maps wouldn't be uncommon Google already kina does it based on search results which are paid...

Your phone unless you have a base install from Google has ads everywhere.

And that's a game vs a utility. Actually ads I maps wouldn't be uncommon Google already kina does it based on search results which are paid...

iPhone. No ads on apps that I paid for as part of iOS.

iPhone. No ads on apps that I paid for as part of iOS.

Well ads for apple related stuff in respective apps.

Well ads for apple related stuff in respective apps.

Other than the Apple Watch app (which you could consider an ad, but it also adds functionality in the event of me having the watch...), no. Nothing.

As has already been said in this thread at least, Google don't pull this shit with Android, and Apple don't with iOS. Maybe HTC and Samsung do (I have no idea), but as far as I'm concerned this is a new direction for a desktop OS that I'm not altogether happy with.

-sigh- looks like I'll go back to waiting for Valve to make Linux gaming a thing so I can ditch Microsoft once and for all.

As a developer, I see Windows 10 being this massive showcase of their new Universal App framework: Windows Apps.

The mass evolution of Modern UI which was super limited.

Theres is Office Mobile set of software showing that you can do large scale software, You have Edge that shows that you can make a super powerful web browser competing with the big boys, meaning if you have a project idea that is system intensive, it can be a viable option to make it under. App the apps built-in shows different apps, and a suggested GUI, and how they scale to Windows 10 Mobile perfectly fine. Mail and Calendar shows hat you can do something pretty decent for new comers to it. Solitaire app shows ads with in-app purchase module and how you can have an automated system where you can remove adds, and have both models (pay or ads) in your program that you are developing.

So maybe that is why I don't particularly mind. Would I like it without ads at all, on all apps. YES! Of course. But let's be honest here: People are not happy with XP/Vista pricing. So Microsoft lowered it with Windows 7. Big time lower. People still not happy, finding ~100$ too pricey, despite having no problem purchasing software fraction in complexity for triple or more in price, and even more smaller scale, full of bugs and issues, no support, near the same price: Most recent AAA games. So ads started to appear in Windows 8. Still too expensive people say, (and yes, I see feedback about this). Now, Windows 10 is essentially free for mass majority of people. And now we have more ads, push on the store app, and in-app purchases. Soo many people here seek for 10-20$ keys of windows 7/8 on the web, and still having problem deciding if it worth the investment.

What do you want LAwLz? Sorry but engineers cost money. Good engineers costs even more money. Nothing is truly free in life. And if it is, it has MAJOR drawbacks. People need food on the table. If you are too greedy, then that is not my problem, this is life.

Expect more ads, more in-app purchases, more included games in the OS when Windows will be truly free.

Windows 10 isn't free for the majority of people. It's free for the people who want to upgrade, but the majority of their sales have been to OEMs building new systems, in which case it isn't.

Meanwhile the pirated version will have no such ads , no windows updates and all other bullshits.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Hah... "Free" .. it's a high quality Solitaire. So "free" means get ads .. because else how would the devs make money?

Windows 10 isn't free. If you build a new gaming PC in 2017, prepare yourself to shell out at least 100$. For that price, you get an OS with ads in it...

#LinuxMasterRace  :P

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Man, adds really are cancer of this world. It's funny they work yet no one cares for them.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Yep they are making a good job showcasing what developers can do in it. But shouldn't the TP have been the showcase and then the RTM be an actual OS that people want to use?

Ok... how am I supposed to get TP now to check it out?

So no, it applied everywhere.

You make it sound like Windows 10 is free or cheaper than Windows 7 and 8 but it's not. It's not free if you are building a new computer. It's not free if you have Vista or an earlier version of Windows (which as you probably know is like 1 in 3 users). It's only free for a limited amount of time. And if you buy certain products such as a laptop then you don't have a choice but to pay for it because the OEM has paid the price for Windows and passes that cost along to the customer.

Windows 10 is by no means free. Using "you're getting it for free" as an argument as to why some things in Windows 10 are acceptable shows a lack of seeing things long term and the ability to put yourself in other peoples' shoes.

It reminds me a bit about Vessel and I think @MG2R put it well when he said:

Not even (stock) Android has ads in it! There is something to be said for a paid OS having more ads and crap in it than a free one. And the free one is from Google! The king of ads.

Ok live in your illusion of free.

And yes Win10 is cheaper. You have free upgrades for 1 years, cutting Microsoft revenue.

Yep they are making a good job showcasing what developers can do in it. But shouldn't the TP have been the showcase and then the RTM be an actual OS that people want to use?

You make it sound like Windows 10 is free or cheaper than Windows 7 and 8 but it's not. It's not free if you are building a new computer. It's not free if you have Vista or an earlier version of Windows (which as you probably know is like 1 in 3 users). It's only free for a limited amount of time. And if you buy certain products such as a laptop then you don't have a choice but to pay for it because the OEM has paid the price for Windows and passes that cost along to the customer.

Windows 10 is by no means free. Using "you're getting it for free" as an argument as to why some things in Windows 10 are acceptable shows a lack of seeing things long term and the ability to put yourself in other peoples' shoes.

It reminds me a bit about Vessel and I think @MG2R put it well when he said:

Not even (stock) Android has ads in it! There is something to be said for a paid OS having more ads and crap in it than a free one. And the free one is from Google! The king of ads.

What? Of course I will blame the OS for the programs it comes with. I would be equally unhappy if Google forcefully pushed out for example Candy Crush Saga to all Android devices. I am not looking for excuses to be unhappy with Windows 10. I am just reading the news threads and then giving my opinion on the news, and most of the new stories have been about bad things Microsoft has changed or added to Windows 10. If I was looking for things then you would have seen me make a bunch of threads, not just commenting on already existing ones.

Do you have a source for your INCREDIBLE claim that "as we know" 1 in 3 people use Windows Vista or otherwise an older version of Windows? No. Nope. Not even.

post-8505-0-71395000-1438177968.png

As you can see, Windows Vista, specifically, takes up 1.62% of the market share.

Windows 7 and newer (All the ones that qualify for the upgrade) take up a whopping 77% of the market share.

What about older versions of Windows? Surely it makes sense that the rest would be 33% because of math? Nope. Wrong.

Windows Vista and Windows XP make up a grand total of 13.6% of the OS market share. That's about 1 in 7, 1 in 8. Not one in fucking three.

Oh, and this is the June 2015 report on Market Share, so that's pretty recent.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If it has Adware in its pre-installed game it has it elsewhere and it's not yet known if pre-installed stuff can be uninstalled. 

how is it yet not known? First of all, it is Windows, of course you can uninstall. Also several have already upgraded, and I can personally confirm that all apps can be uninstalled (didn't test Edge though, but I guess that one too)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Which will have ads on the website...

Adblock. Whether or not you use adblock, though, having ads on something that you essentially payed money for is ridiculous.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole