Microsoft wants $1.49 a month to remove the ads it shows inside Solitaire on Windows 10

I like how "let's be thankful they didn't fuck us over even more" is an actual argument people use to defend this kind of bullshit...

Why make something worse to begin with? When you release something new it should be better or at the very least equally as good.

It's like Microsoft are trying out how much bullshit people will tolerate before getting fed up. Apparently people have a very high tolerance of bullshit.

For me, I've had enough. I won't be upgrading to Windows 10 and I won't recommend it either. I was on the fence several weeks ago and since then Microsoft has just been trying to push me onto the Windows 7 side and they finally succeeded.

It's a shame because I really liked a lot of stuff in Windows 10.

people doesn't have very high tolerance to bullshit, you have zero tolerance for BS that doesn't even affect you, i'm not saying that is bad, at some point everything must be looked through cynicism to not get fucked over a potentially bad situation, but you NEVER put down the cynicism hat, outside of you complaints about Windows update, your scrapping the bottom of a barrel to find the most insignificant piece of dirt about this, who the fuck gives a shit about MS wanting a dollar and a half to kill adds on a game that is sole purpose is to kill time, for that's the only reason i play these card games, another thing is that half of the shit you have complained can be turned off, lock screen ads about store apps, there's a toggle, sending your encrypted wifi password to mail contacts, there's a toggle, not providing an ISO to skip the upgrade progress and not doing it afterward, yes that is a valid complaint, but they aren't locking you out of reinstalling windows again afterwards, if i can save hundreds of dollars having to install windows 10 twice, i don't mind it, that's money that i can put towards other upgrades like a SSD

what you are asking is for MS to give you your own version of windows on a silver plate in your table, sorry that a company that has to make profit has to cater to the world in general that a single person instead

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

http://www.businessinsider.com/solitaire-windows-10-pay-to-remove-ads-2015-7

Wasn't this game free on windows 7?

What happened to the iconic pinball game from the XP days?

Will the card bouncing ending be DLC?

Pin ball didn't have comments in its code and it didn't work in 64 bit so it had to be removed

It was actually a seira online game that MS bought the rights to

You're a little late to be complaining about it, it's like asking why Microsoft office costs money now

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

what you are asking is for MS to give you your own version of windows on a silver plate in your table, sorry that a company that has to make profit has to cater to the world in general that a single person instead

See:

The only thing I want is for Microsoft to release an OS that is better or the same as Windows 7 in every single way, with 0 drawbacks. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to ask for. To not make your product worse.

I am not saying they should cater to me specifically. I am saying they should make the product as good as possible for the consumers. Putting ads in your OS is not beneficial to consumers. It's detrimental to the user experience and it is therefore bad. If you can show me a poll that says more than 50% of people think seeing ads makes the user experience better than I will happy say that I was wrong and applaud Microsoft. I doubt you will be able to do that though so therefore this is a step backwards. I don't understand why people accept and even defend things which are clearly worse than what we had before.

Yea....NO!!

post-30533-0-81336800-1438135011_thumb.p

post-30533-0-81336800-1438135011_thumb.p

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I am not saying they should cater to me specifically. I am saying they should make the product as good as possible for the consumers. Putting ads in your OS is not beneficial to consumers. It's detrimental to the user experience and it is therefore bad. If you can show me a poll that says more than 50% of people think seeing ads makes the user experience better than I will happy say that I was wrong and applaud Microsoft. I doubt you will be able to do that though so therefore this is a step backwards. I don't understand why people accept and even defend things which are clearly worse than what we had before.

As a developer, I see Windows 10 being this massive showcase of their new Universal App framework: Windows Apps.

The mass evolution of Modern UI which was super limited.

Theres is Office Mobile set of software showing that you can do large scale software, You have Edge that shows that you can make a super powerful web browser competing with the big boys, meaning if you have a project idea that is system intensive, it can be a viable option to make it under. App the apps built-in shows different apps, and a suggested GUI, and how they scale to Windows 10 Mobile perfectly fine. Mail and Calendar shows hat you can do something pretty decent for new comers to it. Solitaire app shows ads with in-app purchase module and how you can have an automated system where you can remove adds, and have both models (pay or ads) in your program that you are developing.

So maybe that is why I don't particularly mind. Would I like it without ads at all, on all apps. YES! Of course. But let's be honest here: People are not happy with XP/Vista pricing. So Microsoft lowered it with Windows 7. Big time lower. People still not happy, finding ~100$ too pricey, despite having no problem purchasing software fraction in complexity for triple or more in price, and even more smaller scale, full of bugs and issues, no support, near the same price: Most recent AAA games. So ads started to appear in Windows 8. Still too expensive people say, (and yes, I see feedback about this). Now, Windows 10 is essentially free for mass majority of people. And now we have more ads, push on the store app, and in-app purchases. Soo many people here seek for 10-20$ keys of windows 7/8 on the web, and still having problem deciding if it worth the investment.

What do you want LAwLz? Sorry but engineers cost money. Good engineers costs even more money. Nothing is truly free in life. And if it is, it has MAJOR drawbacks. People need food on the table. If you are too greedy, then that is not my problem, this is life.

Expect more ads, more in-app purchases, more included games in the OS when Windows will be truly free.

I read that there is some in the start menu, adverts for applications on the windows store, no idea if that's true or not. 

There is a featured Apps app, which can be removed with literally two clicks (Either just removed from the start menu, or uninstalled completely - either only takes two clicks). Otherwise, no, there are no ads in the Start Menu.

There can be ads on the lock screen, if you use the featured images thing - which is 100% optional, and can be completely disabled.

Personally, I have not seen any ads at all.

Also, I have no problem with Microsoft releasing a free game with Ads, then asking for money for an Ad Free version. Would you all prefer no free version at all?

Besides, that fee also gives you perks (Not that I care about those perks, but I don't give a shit about the game at all - far better versions are available online if you really want to play Solitaire).

Honestly, people are making this an issue when it's not.

Not True. I have Windows 10 and the closest thing to that is app recommendations on the default start page of Edge. The app recommendations are actually relevant to the apps that I have gotten from the store, not who is paying money to have their app there.

Yep.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Now it sounds like W10 is a phone.

It technically is...

g8s9e0vsqiysarqvbqr5.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Is this what Microsoft meant by focusing more on PC gamers?

Obama-lol.gif

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

It technically is...

g8s9e0vsqiysarqvbqr5.png

I hope Stardock can fix it like they did with w8.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Sorry but if I pay for a product then I expect it not to shove ads down my throat. Main reason why I don't have cable or Hulu. 

Yes, I get that W10 will be free for the first year for legitimate copies, but I will be buying my own physical copy anyway for clean installs.

But you didn't really pay for the solitair app. It's a free app on the store that Microsoft happens to include in the installation. You pay for the OS, not that little app. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

See:

Have you even seen these app that are mentioned?

They are the least annoying adds I have ever seen, ever. They either blend in so that you don't notice that it is an add, or they are put in a place in the app were it does not take up any important space. In the Solitaire app the add is at the bottom of the main menu/screen. Most people would rarely scroll down there, and since it comes after all menu items, it isn't in the way. It is just there chillin' out of your way. 

Don't judge before you have seen it yourself http://imgur.com/ShjIPbk 

The add in the start menu can be turned off in settings. And solitaire isn't part of Windows 10, it's an app they just have chosen  to automatically include, by popular demand. You are free to remove it. And you can also get other solitaire apps from the store that is not made by MS (but they probably have more adds). Don't blame the OS for an included app, that is just being stupid and makes it look like you are just looking for the tiniest excuse to unhappy with Win 10. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

http://www.businessinsider.com/solitaire-windows-10-pay-to-remove-ads-2015-7

microsoft%20solitaire%20collection%207_2

Windows 10 comes bundled with the Microsoft Solitaire Collection, gathering a bunch of variations on the eternally popular card game. But included withing the game are ads for other products and services — and if you want to remove the ads, Microsoft is charging $1.49 a month (or the bulk discount of $9.99 a year).

Canceling my Windows 10 upgrade.

For your $1.49 a month, you get a score boost in TriPeaks and Pyramid, and the chance to win a bunch of extra "coins," the in-game currency you win by completing challenges. You don't need it to play Solitaire, and the game itself plays more or less as it has since Windows 3.1 in the early nineties. But if you don't want to pay, get used to those ads

Well I had hope for Windows 10. But pre-installing apps that aren't useful tools, especially with ads, is unacceptable. If all the bloatware, crapware, and adware can't be uninstalled then I may consider OSX for my non-gaming purposes, I have two old iMac units, 2010 and I think 2003, I can use to make my system dual boot with Hackintosh. Though I was hoping to get Windows 10 Pro.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Couldn't you just... hide and not open the apps?

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

What are they? Laptop makers? Is this their "wild tangent games"? 

wait...

the surface....

...it's kind of  a laptop 

it all makes sense 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Alright, who here still plays Solitaire on Windows?

Not many people, I suppose. If you don't want to be disturbed by ads that are in this 'app', don't go to it?

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

uninstall, problem solved.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Stupidest reason to dismiss an OS I've ever heard.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Repost.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/417410-microsoft-wants-149-a-month-to-remove-the-ads-it-shows-inside-solitaire-on-windows-10/

Also who didn't expect this on an OS they are giving away away at the moment.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

oh no, the operating system i got for free has adverts in one of the games i won't ever play, now i don't want it.....

^^Pretty much this :D

The W8 version also had ads... at least there's the option to remove them if they bug you that much now and there's always the option to play a different version of solitaire, its not like MS have a copyright on it ;) (or you could just ignore them and play the game)

If it has Adware in its pre-installed game it has it elsewhere and it's not yet known if pre-installed stuff can be uninstalled. 

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

As a developer, I see Windows 10 being this massive showcase of their new Universal App framework: Windows Apps.

The mass evolution of Modern UI which was super limited.

Theres is Office Mobile set of software showing that you can do large scale software, You have Edge that shows that you can make a super powerful web browser competing with the big boys, meaning if you have a project idea that is system intensive, it can be a viable option to make it under. App the apps built-in shows different apps, and a suggested GUI, and how they scale to Windows 10 Mobile perfectly fine. Mail and Calendar shows hat you can do something pretty decent for new comers to it. Solitaire app shows ads with in-app purchase module and how you can have an automated system where you can remove adds, and have both models (pay or ads) in your program that you are developing.

Yep they are making a good job showcasing what developers can do in it. But shouldn't the TP have been the showcase and then the RTM be an actual OS that people want to use?

So maybe that is why I don't particularly mind. Would I like it without ads at all, on all apps. YES! Of course. But let's be honest here: People are not happy with XP/Vista pricing. So Microsoft lowered it with Windows 7. Big time lower. People still not happy, finding ~100$ too pricey, despite having no problem purchasing software fraction in complexity for triple or more in price, and even more smaller scale, full of bugs and issues, no support, near the same price: Most recent AAA games. So ads started to appear in Windows 8. Still too expensive people say, (and yes, I see feedback about this). Now, Windows 10 is essentially free for mass majority of people. And now we have more ads, push on the store app, and in-app purchases. Soo many people here seek for 10-20$ keys of windows 7/8 on the web, and still having problem deciding if it worth the investment.

What do you want LAwLz? Sorry but engineers cost money. Good engineers costs even more money. Nothing is truly free in life. And if it is, it has MAJOR drawbacks. People need food on the table. If you are too greedy, then that is not my problem, this is life.

Expect more ads, more in-app purchases, more included games in the OS when Windows will be truly free.

You make it sound like Windows 10 is free or cheaper than Windows 7 and 8 but it's not. It's not free if you are building a new computer. It's not free if you have Vista or an earlier version of Windows (which as you probably know is like 1 in 3 users). It's only free for a limited amount of time. And if you buy certain products such as a laptop then you don't have a choice but to pay for it because the OEM has paid the price for Windows and passes that cost along to the customer.

Windows 10 is by no means free. Using "you're getting it for free" as an argument as to why some things in Windows 10 are acceptable shows a lack of seeing things long term and the ability to put yourself in other peoples' shoes.

It reminds me a bit about Vessel and I think @MG2R put it well when he said:

I honestly don't give two cares about what they're advertising... If I'm paying for a service, there shouldn't be ads on it; period.

Not even (stock) Android has ads in it! There is something to be said for a paid OS having more ads and crap in it than a free one. And the free one is from Google! The king of ads.

Don't blame the OS for an included app, that is just being stupid and makes it look like you are just looking for the tiniest excuse to unhappy with Win 10. 

What? Of course I will blame the OS for the programs it comes with. I would be equally unhappy if Google forcefully pushed out for example Candy Crush Saga to all Android devices. I am not looking for excuses to be unhappy with Windows 10. I am just reading the news threads and then giving my opinion on the news, and most of the new stories have been about bad things Microsoft has changed or added to Windows 10. If I was looking for things then you would have seen me make a bunch of threads, not just commenting on already existing ones.

Oh look, yet more reasons that people should NOT upgrade to Windows 10

Make it flop.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs