Intel (INTC) , Micron (MU) Unveil New 3D XPoint Technology

Amit Moryossef

Intel (NASDAQ: INTC) and Micron Technology, Inc. (Nasdaq: MU) unveiled 3D XPoint technology, a non-volatile memory that has the potential to revolutionize any device, application or service that benefits from fast access to large sets of data. Now in production, 3D XPoint technology is a major breakthrough in memory process technology and the first new memory category since the introduction of NAND flash in 1989.

Details about 3D XPoint technology include:

• Cross Point Array Structure – Perpendicular conductors connect 128 billion densely packed memory cells. Each memory cell stores a single bit of data. This compact structure results in high performance and high-density bits.
  • Stackable – In addition to the tight cross point array structure, memory cells are stacked in multiple layers. The initial technology stores 128Gb per die across two memory layers. Future generations of this technology can increase the number of memory layers, in addition to traditional lithographic pitch scaling, further improving system capacities.
  • Selector – Memory cells are accessed and written or read by varying the amount of voltage sent to each selector. This eliminates the need for transistors, increasing capacity while reducing cost.
  • Fast Switching Cell – With a small cell size, fast switching selector, low-latency cross point array and fast write algorithm, the cell is able to switch states faster than any existing non-volatile memory technology today.

Source: http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Intel+(INTC)+,+Micron+(MU)+Announce+Revolutionary+3D+XPoint+Technology/10756443.html

This information is taken from the intel press email, embargoed about 15 minutes ago.

Sorry I cant write more and just copy paste, I just now written a full article on the subject in Hebrew..

Beat me to this one! I'm still watching the press release and reading the article

FX-8350 | Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | 16 GB (2x8 1600Mhz) Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC Dual | Corsair Vengeance C70 | 120GB Samsung EVO SSD, 1TB WD Black | Corsair AX860i | 2x BenQ XL2420TE | Corsair H110 | Logitech G15 | Logitech G500 | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Windows 8.1

What's the difference between this and 3DNAND?

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

im guessing its faster 

hebrew? where copy and paste the hebrew

I ment that I copy-pasted the info from the website I linked, and not written anything myself on the subject.

My article (in hebrew): http://www.pcgalaxy.co.il/intel-and-micron-revealed-new-memory-architecture/

It is also copied alot from the release, but I packaged it I believe nicely.

It is alot faster, and alot more durable. You can read about the architecture in the "source" link.

Also, 3d nand in my understanding is just stacked nand, not a new architecture.

It's truly non-volatile (you'd have to leave it powered off for about 30 years in theory to lose data), and the write speed potential is 4X what NAND flash is today.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This makes me interested... What speeds would we be looking at?

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

This makes me interested... What speeds would we be looking at?

"The technology is up to 1,000 times faster and has up to 1,000 times greater endurance than NAND, and is 10 times denser than conventional memory."

What about actual P/E cycles?

When are they going to ship these chips?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

What about actual P/E cycles?

When are they going to ship these chips?

As said in the article, supposedly 1000x higher endurance, though at what nanometer and cell density level isn't said. It could be a worst case 10nm TLC, making it less than impressive.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Note guys this apparently the official naming/implementation of Hybrid Memory Cube that intel and micron have been working on together.

Someone please take a note of that. This is not different than that in any fashion other than the most recent iteration.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

As said in the article, supposedly 1000x higher endurance, though at what nanometer and cell density level isn't said. It could be a worst case 10nm TLC, making it less than impressive.

That's why I asked actual values, if there are any

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

I sure hope they don't put this on a SATA drive. It should be on a PCI-e connector, over NVMe or something.

Speaking of stuff that should go on PCI-e connectors, has there been a V-NAND SSD on it yet? Or is the 850 series the only dive that has V-NAND? I want to see how fast that can go.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Speaking of stuff that should go on PCI-e connectors, has there been a V-NAND SSD on it yet? Or is the 850 series the only dive that has V-NAND? I want to see how fast that can go.

Intel's 750 series is 3D NAND.

Intel's 750 series is 3D NAND.

daaamnn. Alright then. We need to get this into an SSD that'll "breathe fire" on the 750s, just like the 750s "breathe fire" over everything else.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Even if they could get half that speed wouldn't it saturate an M.2 PCI interface? If so, what kind of interconnect would be needed to support such speeds?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I am not so educated on this type of thing. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

so .. hmm, SK-Hynix started to produce 3D-Nand http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1327264&_mc=RSS_EET_EDT

Memory chipmaker SK Hynix Inc. has said it will prepare for its first production volumes of 3D NAND flash memory in the third quarter of 2015. It joins the ranks of Samsung, Toshiba and Micron.

The part will be a 36-layer 128Gbit NAND multilayer-cell (MLC) device. In addition the company said it would complete the design of a 48-layer triple-layer cell (TLC) in 2015 to be able to meet demand from the solid-state drive market in 2016. SK Hynix had announced a 24-layer NAND device as a prototype.

I read in another one of the posted articles mention that it reads a resistance to call a bit.

So 3D memory aside, is this the first real high-density application of the memristor we're looking at here that isn't just a small chip for sale on Digikey? That would excite me a hell of a lot more.

So....I wonder how long NVME will last before bottlenecking the new type of storage memory.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Been waiting awhile for them to announce this.

Makin' and breakin' wafers.

So....I wonder how long NVME will last before bottlenecking the new type of storage memory.

For consumers and even professionals: 10 years easy. HPC: too late.

If you mean the tech itself, that all comes down to controllers. NVMe could easily be a bottleneck for SSDs even today if the controllers were advanced enough.

For consumers and even professionals: 10 years easy. HPC: too late.

If you mean the tech itself, that all comes down to controllers. NVMe could easily be a bottleneck for SSDs even today if the controllers were advanced enough.

I meant the standard itself, AHCI ended up not being good enough for NAND based SSD, let alone SSD with the new NV memory. (I should have worded my original comment differently).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL