Few days ago, I was getting 80-90fps on GTA V. now I'm getting 40-60. Was was there another patch decreasing performance?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey all

So a few days ago I was getting 80-90 fps on a new build i just put together (I5 4690k + R9 290) and was playing at very high. 

Now as I play I get 40-60Fps on High graphics. Was there an update in the past few days? 

My 4690k is also OC'd a little bit too. just a 5% increase. and the R9 290 is OC'd to 1200 Core clock and 1400 Memory. 

Basically I'm getting the same FPS I did on my FX 8350 than I do on my 4690k. 

In GTA, GTA takes up 72% of the CPU load  GPU says 88% load. 

cpu load should not be at 100%. Probably why the fps dropped because your gpu should be the one at 100%

Make sure something in the background isn't eating your cpu

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I heard that a recent update for the pc version of GTA5 made the performance worse for everyone.

I haven't tested this myself yet.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

Check your background processes

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Check your background processes

cpu load should not be at 100%. Probably why the fps dropped because your gpu should be the one at 100%

Make sure something in the background isn't eating your cpu

Only thing that could make a slight difference is Chrome running at ~7%. 

Edit: GPU takes up 72% of the cpu load... that normal? 

Only thing that could make a slight difference is Chrome running at ~7%.

Edit: GPU takes up 72% of the cpu load... that normal?

Any GPU driver thingy shouldn't use that much CPU power, maybe 10% max. I'd suggest reinstalling the driver and running malwarebytes.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Any GPU driver thingy shouldn't use that much CPU power, maybe 10% max. I'd suggest reinstalling the driver and running malwarebytes.

I made a typo error. I meant GTA takes up. Autocorrected to gpu 

I made a typo error. I meant GTA takes up. Autocorrected to gpu 

that is normal, but that leaves 30+% being taken up by other stuff on the pc.

Cpu usage in games should normally be around the 70% mark or less if you have anything more than a fairly recent i5.

When you cpu gets taxed by a program in the background, it wont be able to feed the gpu fast enough, causing its usage, and the game fps to fall.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I heard that a recent update for the pc version of GTA5 made the performance worse for everyone.

I haven't tested this myself yet.

The Ill gotten gains 2 patch destroyed framerates and added stutter but they rolled it back claiming it was a new patch

all it did was put it back to Gains 1 patch level which lowered performance but wasn't terrible.