Getting a dedicated sound card

Samppa221

Will getting a dedicated sound card help me remove the "coil whine" what i hear in my headphones when playing on high fps's?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

You can get a external one to avoid electrical interference completely.`

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

no, you just need to cap out the fps in the software

It could be his motherboard causing electrical interference, that may help but it will be a issue in competitive games.

Pascal laptops guide

no, you just need to cap out the fps in the software

When i cap it at 145 it still coil whines. I need the 144 fps for my monitor.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Internal sound cards are mostly a waste of money, get something external like a DAC/AMP combo or only a DAC if you have headphones that are easy to drive.

get an external one, they are better and they can amplify ur noice

Noice?

Pascal laptops guide

Internal sound cards are mostly a waste of money, get something external like a DAC/AMP combo or only a DAC if you have headphones that are easy to drive.

I got Kingstons HyperX's

Spoiler

an internal sound card is a DAC

they are the exact same thing

and most sound cards have a built in amp as well

you dont need a sound card to be external

having a sound card in a PCIe slot already removes the EMI from the motherboard

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

an internal sound card is a DAC

they are the exact same thing

and most sound cards have a built in amp as well

you dont need a sound card to be external

having a sound card in a PCIe slot already removes the EMI from the motherboard

That is true, but an internal sound card does not always remove all noise. 

Also, drivers can be a huge problem with them and they are known to be buggy/crashy. 

So I'd rather go with something external. 

I got Kingstons HyperX's

Just a DAC would be fine then. 

are you using front or rear audio?

Tried both they both coil whine but i mostly use the front.

Spoiler

That is true, but an internal sound card does not always remove all noise. 

Also, drivers can be a huge problem with them and they are known to be buggy/crashy. 

So I'd rather go with something external. 

it removes almost all EMI

unless you are using studio quality audio equipment there will be no difference from an external DAC

a good quality sound card that wasnt made 5 years ago will have perfectly fine divers

never had any issues with my xonar DG and it removed all audible EMI my onboard sound had

of course the front panel audio still has emi since it passes behind the motherboard though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it removes almost all EMI

unless you are using studio quality audio equipment there will be no difference from an external DAC

a good quality sound card that wasnt made 5 years ago will have perfectly fine divers

never had any issues with my xonar DG and it removed all audible EMI my onboard sound had

of course the front panel audio still has emi since it passes behind the motherboard though

It depends on the sound card of course, my Xonar DG is causing bluescreens and all kinds of weird stuff. 

Something external is plug and play and in addition doesn't block airflow to the GPU. 

Also, it 100% eliminates all EMI whereas an internal sound card maybe doesn't. 

It depends on the sound card of course, my Xonar DG is causing bluescreens and all kinds of weird stuff. 

Something external is plug and play and in addition doesn't block airflow to the GPU. 

Also, it 100% eliminates all EMI whereas an internal sound card maybe doesn't. 

unless you use a digital connection to your receiver or speakers you will never remove 100% of EMI

or XLR, that also works

Spoiler

Have you tried different headphones as well?

Only ones with usb those doesn't do it. Because usb.

Spoiler

Only ones with usb those doesn't do it. Because usb.

Yeah, because the DAC is external with USB. You obviously need something, so set a budget.

Yeah, because the DAC is external with USB. You obviously need something, so set a budget.

Budget would be something like 30-40€

Spoiler