rumour has it AMD is prepping a 370X to "combat" nVidia's GTX950 [updated]

zMeul

Only the R9s this will be an R7.

Edit: beaten to the punch ;)

says R9 370 series in the screenshot.

says R9 370 series in the screenshot.

Must be a database typo, they moved the 370s to the R7 series because it doesn't support all the new tech.

Hmmm. So that may be reason why they moved it down from R9 to R7. All R9 3xx support it if I am not wrong so it seems that only R9 will support all newest technologies and R7 only may support some.

funny thing is the 370 OEM is an R9 ;)

funny thing is the 370 OEM is an R9 ;)

Even the 360 is xD

(Granted its got more features than the 370)

Even the 360 is xD

(Granted its got more features than the 370)

the 360 yes, because it's GCN 1.1

wow that's some next level stuff...AMD HAS to innovate to keep their consumer base. I clearly have no idea how much work goes into a new GPU, but they have to lower temps, power consumption and increase performance if they want to keep their heads above water

What the point in making a new GPU if they are legitimately testing FinFet technologies right now. It's just a waste of money to make something as a filler product. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Well they don't really need new cards in midrange... These may be GCN1 but on raw performance they are fast enough to compete. The lack of freesync is the major drawback. But considering AMD's financial situation I don't see AMD innovating in the midrange unless Nvidia forces their hand. And cards like the 750ti will not force their hand even if it's Maxwell and low power consumption etc...

370x seems like a pretty high naming for something aimed to fight the tiny 950...

Still it would be cool if there was something like lower power consumption or much more OCability.

right now it seems Nvidia is the heel wrestler who gets boo's from the crowd cause they cheat to win matches and AMD is a wrestler with 0 charisma and 0 mic skills who is boo'ed cause they bore the crowd

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

A rebranded R9 270X , which was a rebranded 7870 GHz(pretty much), which was a rebranded 6970!

What a great world we live in, AMD releasing a rebranded 4 year old gpu <3 .

And what does it means? That AMDs 4yo gpu, still beats an 2015 very new nvidias gpu?

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

A rebranded R9 270X , which was a rebranded 7870 GHz(pretty much), which was a rebranded 6970!

Well it wasn't a 6970, since Pitcairn is GCN 1.0 and 6970 was Cayman which wasn't a GCN arch'. Pitcairn has been 370, 270x, 270, 7870, 7850, 7970m, 8970m and m290x.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Errr what?

A 7870 (GHz or non) was Pitcairn, which was GCN 1.0 (As @marldorthegreat points out). It was also 28 nm, with 1280 Stream Processors.

A 6970 was 40 nm, pre GCN architecture, and had 1536 stream processors.

Please check your facts before jumping on the "I hate AMD" bandwagon.

A 370x might be a rebrand that is several generations old, but it's definitely not related to a 6970 in any way, shape, or form, besides the "AMD" badge on the side.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

And what does it means? That AMDs 4yo gpu, still beats an 2015 very new nvidias gpu?

aparently there's "something" wrong with the 270X that AMD needs to rebrand it 370X - it was nothing wrong with the 270X nor with the 7870Ghz so, wtf is AMD's problem?

950??

Unless I'm not mistaken, the Fury and Fury X bumped the entire 300 series down by 1 tier...

(and I still can't afford anything beyond the 260X price bracket)

(and I still can't afford anything beyond the 260X price bracket)

says the man who has 4 computers :P

says the man who has 4 computers :P

I spent money on only one of them... the others are gifts...

it's three computers...

one is dead, the other two are my personal machines...

the fourth onne is still in the planning stage...

I need the fourth one to meet the needs of the entire household...

wow that's some next level stuff...AMD HAS to innovate to keep their consumer base. I clearly have no idea how much work goes into a new GPU, but they have to lower temps, power consumption and increase performance if they want to keep their heads above water

Not really. For desktop, it's all about features and performance. Lower temps and power consumption is nice, but that's more of a laptop selling point.

Well people do not get budget cards to run 4k, expensive dynamic sync technology or any of the added features of the high end cards. In fact Nvidia is the abnormal here by not just rebranding old cards for the entry level market.

At the end of the day if someone asks me for a budget build, I will just deliver whatever's better on performance vs price and works on the form factor, and the person buying will not give 2 shits about brand loyalty or how new the chip is.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Errr what?

A 7870 (GHz or non) was Pitcairn, which was GCN 1.0 (As @marldorthegreat points out). It was also 28 nm, with 1280 Stream Processors.

A 6970 was 40 nm, pre GCN architecture, and had 1536 stream processors.

Please check your facts before jumping on the "I hate AMD" bandwagon.

A 370x might be a rebrand that is several generations old, but it's definitely not related to a 6970 in any way, shape, or form, besides the "AMD" badge on the side.

My bad then.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well, aren't they downgrading their rebranded GPU so they fit better a performance bracket as the chip gets rebranded over rebrand?

But the 370x may support Free Sync, True Audio, etc... Isn't the main purpose of 300 series that all cards will support these technologies?

They already don't. The 370 doesn't.

I was confused why they rebranded the 265 to be the 370 anyway. If they rebranded the 270X in the first place then the 370 would at least have performed like an overclocked 270 and not been an unmitigated downgrade.

Well people do not get budget cards to run 4k, expensive dynamic sync technology or any of the added features of the high end cards. In fact Nvidia is the abnormal here by not just rebranding old cards for the entry level market.

They generally do, they just consider the low end to be up to 740. It makes sense to not rebrand the 950 tier. These cards are often bought by people upgrading an OEM and not wanting to upgrade the 300W PSU. That's why the 750 Ti was still a good product to exist, even if it performed like a 260X and cost the same as a 270X on release.

Also if Nvidia were to do the same thing their direct equivalent to the 270X would be the GTX 580, and that definitely doesn't satisfy any sane power requirements for this segment of the market.

source: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_to_soon_release_an_r9_370x_gpu/128061140134l.jpgwhat is it? just a rebranded R9 270X, and by looks of it, will have the exact same clocks too ...

Pitcairn is old by now. If nothing else, AMD deserves applause for making something 4 years old STILL be a viable low end choice at all...

Nvidia hasnt been producing that much groundbreaking stuff... if all they can do is produce "new" cards that is getting beaten by 4 year old design.... But hey, lets just keep on blindly celebrating the 900 series. You know, making a product that is solid, thats terible. We should rather support that other company that maks GPUs then screw their old products over with their drivers once their new products are out, because thats the way you stay ahead. You shaft all your previous customers, forcing them to buy new or succumb to the shit you throw at them

Pitcairn is old by now. If nothing else, AMD deserves applause for making something 4 years old STILL be a viable low end choice at all...

Nvidia hasnt been producing that much groundbreaking stuff... if all they can do is produce "new" cards that is getting beaten by 4 year old design.... But hey, lets just keep on blindly celebrating the 900 series. You know, making a product that is solid, thats terible. We should rather support that other company that maks GPUs then screw their old products over with their drivers once their new products are out, because thats the way you stay ahead. You shaft all your previous customers, forcing them to buy new or succumb to the shit you throw at them

you're missing the point where AMD has to rebrand their 270X, that's a 7870Ghz rebrand to contra-attack nVidia's upcoming GTX950

Pitcairn if you know about what happened in them islands you wouldn't be naming a GPU after them.

you're missing the point where AMD has to rebrand their 270X, that's a 7870Ghz rebrand to contra-attack nVidia's upcoming GTX950

I don't know what is worst, AMD rebranding or being able to compete with rebrands... NVIDIA isn't pushing enough performance since AMD is still trading blows with cards from 2011.