Monitor stopped showing up

Go to solution Solved by DotBowder,

If it worked on a Windows 10 preview disk, but not on a Windows 8 disk, then it's almost certainly an issue with the Nvidia Drivers on the Windows 8 disk. If you download and attempt to re-install the Nvidia Drivers, there is an option in the installation which you can check which will perform a "Clean Installation" this will wipe any previous drivers and install the new ones.

(Also, it would be worth mentioning that it would be good practice, for removing pre-existing drivers, to uninstall the drivers, use CCLeaner to clear out any left over registry values, reboot, and then install the new drivers with a "Clean Installation.")

Also, what driver version does it say you're using? If you go to Nvidia Control Panel, in the lower-left corner of the window, there should be an option for "System Information" If you click that, it will open another window where it will list the driver version. Mine is currently at 353.30.

3HE815Q.png

I have a setup where my PC is connected to my Monitor on my desk and my TV behind me so I can turn around and play games with a controller or sit somewhere else in the room.

Usually my display setting set up so that it uses the monitor on my desk exclusively and i can just switch to extend when i need the bigger screen but this morning it just hasn't been showing up.

I've tried restarting the TV and the PC but it just refuses to detect the display.

Please help

cables checked? tried a new one? what kind of outputs do you have in spare? 

If it was working one day and then not the next, the first place to look would be the cable connecting the display to your computer. Re-seat the cable (Unplug and plug back in securely). Cables can go bad out of the blue, if you have a spare, swap the cable. Make sure the TV is turned on and is on the correct input for the computer before attempting to detect a display.

Has there been any changes to the computer, hardware or software, between the time that it was working and when it stopped working?

Can you view anything else on the TV?

Also, what kind of graphics are we dealing with here? AMD, Intel, Nvidia?

Do you have a dedicated graphics card or just the video connections on the motherboard?

When you detect display, is it in the Windows "Screen Resolution" settings, or is it in AMD Catalyst Control Center, or Nvidia Control Panel?

I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 and the TV definitely works on all ports.

I tested my windows 10 preview boot and that worked fine just now from the same port ,same cable and same machine.

For some reason on windows 8 it can't detect it in Windows screen resolution or Nvidia Control Panel.

If it worked on a Windows 10 preview disk, but not on a Windows 8 disk, then it's almost certainly an issue with the Nvidia Drivers on the Windows 8 disk. If you download and attempt to re-install the Nvidia Drivers, there is an option in the installation which you can check which will perform a "Clean Installation" this will wipe any previous drivers and install the new ones.

(Also, it would be worth mentioning that it would be good practice, for removing pre-existing drivers, to uninstall the drivers, use CCLeaner to clear out any left over registry values, reboot, and then install the new drivers with a "Clean Installation.")

Also, what driver version does it say you're using? If you go to Nvidia Control Panel, in the lower-left corner of the window, there should be an option for "System Information" If you click that, it will open another window where it will list the driver version. Mine is currently at 353.30.

3HE815Q.png

I have the same version as you.

I'm going to try a fresh install of it and see if that helps.