[URGENT] TS asked me to download a sound plugin, Steam immediately shut down, now I can't login anymore?

JorenBus

What the hell is going on, TS3 asked me to download a sound plugin, I did, now suddenly I can't login into my Steam account anymore. "Steam is having trouble connecting to the Steam network". Am I getting hacked, do I have some sort of virus now? I can still access Steam thru my browser.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

try starting in offline mode than going online. i have to do hat every time i want to launch steam on my PC

try starting in offline mode than going online. i have to do hat every time i want to launch steam on my PC

Can't, I can only choose to retry connection or cancel

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

What exactly did you download and install?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What exactly did you download and install?

I joined a TS3 server from a friend, it said I had to download a sound plugin, I did and 1 second later all this happened.

My friend is on that server, with the same plugin, with other friends of his...

RIP SKINS

€75 inventory gone. 

GG

Thats a known and now typical way of grabbing your info, its a RAT.

I suggest running Malwarebytes ASAP

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Thats a known and now typical way of grabbing your info, its a RAT.

I suggest running Malwarebytes ASAP

Yup, all my skins (€75) gone.

GG

Contact the Steam support. Might take a while, but there's a big chance of getting your account back again. Your skins will be gone though, they don't refund them anymore.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Yup, all my skins (€75) gone.

GG

Shit, I know the feeling, been scammed out of nearly $200 USD. Lost a Bayo and Vulcan to scam bots at one point.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Contact the Steam support. Might take a while, but there's a big chance of getting your account back again. Your skins will be gone though, they don't refund them anymore.

But I can still access my Steam account thru my browser. That just means they stole my skins, and not my account right?

I recently saw something about it on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3bflec/attention_fake_ts3_server_tries_to_get_users/

Some guy even analysed it and said that it's a steam account stealer.

So gratz. You have a virus.

Go on a different computer, reset your steam password and and then enable steam guard 2 step verification.

Also check your bank account if you have credit card info stored in steam. They might have bought a lot of stuff as well.

And then go about removing the malware on your computer.

But I can still access my Steam account thru my browser. That just means they stole my skins, and not my account right?

In this case just do what @T6kke said.

I wonder how they got into your account. Did you have 2 step verification and the email trade thingy activated?

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

I wonder how they got into your account. Did you have 2 step verification and the email trade thingy activated?

Yes, and my mail could only be accessed by a code sent to my cell phone.

How is this even possible??

Yes, and my mail could only be accessed by a code sent to my cell phone.

How is this even possible??

Steam recently updated their 2 step verification with a new mobile version. You probably didn't have that activated.

And the old one was more or less safe but if you had set up your desktop as a safe computer or you were logged in the virus can(and probably did) steal the file that will allow them to log in with out the e-mail verification.

Steam recently updated their 2 step verification with a new mobile version. You probably didn't have that activated.

And the old one was more or less safe but if you had set up your desktop as a safe computer or you were logged in the virus can(and probably did) steal the file that will allow them to log in with out the e-mail verification.

Ok, I changed my password on another PC and acitivated the mobile Steam Guard, so they can't acces my account anymore.

Malwarebytes didn't find anything.

Ok, I changed my password on another PC and acitivated the mobile Steam Guard, so they can't acces my account anymore.

Malwarebytes didn't find anything.

Well I doubt that the virus just left. But it's a known thing so google around and see how other people have removed it.

Well I doubt that the virus just left. But it's a known thing so google around and see how other people have removed it.

I also used Sophos Virus Removal Tool and Malicious Software Removal Tool from Windows.

They both didn't find anything.

this is way they figured out lately to scam people..

its a really tricky way and it seems your "friend" isnt your friend actually

good thing is they probably dont have any interest in your steam account and they didnt even hijack it, just stole your skins so you will probably get it back

another good thing is; you only had 75$ worth of skins (trust me, thats not a lot, there are people getting scammed for thousands of euros worth of skins)

the bad thing is, you got scammed and steam support policy changed about a month ago and they do not return scammed items anymore

this is way they figured out lately to scam people..

its a really tricky way and it seems your "friend" isnt your friend actually

good thing is they probably dont have any interest in your steam account and they didnt even hijack it, just stole your skins so you will probably get it back

another good thing is; you only had 75$ worth of skins (trust me, thats not a lot, there are people getting scammed for thousands of euros worth of skins)

the bad thing is, you got scammed and steam support policy changed about a month ago and they do not return scammed items anymore

So you're suggesting that my 'friend' knew about this, and did it on purpose? Interesting...

He didn't remove me or anything, and even asked me if I wanted a skin.

Yes I know, €75 isn't that much, but still.

So you're suggesting that my 'friend' knew about this, and did it on purpose? Interesting...

He didn't remove me or anything, and even asked me if I wanted a skin.

Yes I know, €75 isn't that much, but still.

either that or he's going to be scammed as well within the next few minutes/hours since he has installed the same 'sound plugin' as you did

didnt that friend add you and told you to join him on TS to talk about playing together etc and that you have to install the plugin cause they cant hear you or something?

either that or he's going to be scammed as well within the next few minutes/hours since he has installed the same 'sound plugin' as you did

didnt that friend add you and told you to join him on TS to talk about playing together etc and that you have to install the plugin cause they cant hear you or something?

No, I added him thru Reddit in the looking for team subreddit.

He said he didn't have to install a plugin.

No, I added him thru Reddit in the looking for team subreddit.

He said he didn't have to install a plugin.

yeah, thats the most common place to set up this kind of trap

wasnt he the one to give the TS info etc?

yeah, thats the most common place to set up this kind of trap

wasnt he the one to give the TS info etc?

FUCK.

The guy who gave me the link is friends with the guy "I" sent the trade offer to...

Ok, is there something I can do now?