Power cord broke off in hard drive?

p3acefrog

So i was cleaning my moms computer and cleaning up the wiring because it was bad and when i unplugged the had drive i found that the power cord was broken/melted into the harddrive. I did not notice until i was having issues plugging back in the hard drive. I bent a pin and when trying to unbend the pin and plug in the broken end of the cord because it had been working and seemed to go back in but not stay in, I broke off the pin. I tried to pull out the plastic parts that were stuck plug it in and see what would happen the first time i tried it posted to bios but did not see the HDD. When i wiggled the cord around and restarted it didn't even pretend to boot  the fans spun and stopped and it started to smell like melting plastic so i shut it off. How fucked am I? Is the harddrive dead now? If so whats a cheap solution for a hard drive so i can get my moms computer up and running again.

SNIP

This is an external hard drive?

You can remove the drive and put it into a new enclosure (or inside a PC)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

video

Its not the sata pins that are the issue would i be able to do that with the power pins as well tho? Also when I attempted to use the drive i smelt burning plastic and the drive smells like burning plastic i dont want to burn down my house or fry her pc

Its not the sata pins that are the issue would i be able to do that with the power pins as well tho? Also when I attempted to use the drive i smelt burning plastic and the drive smells like burning plastic i dont want to burn down my house or fry her pc

the same concept applies 

There is still plastic stuck on the top of the pins

I think it would work the same way.

I think it would work the same way.

Ill look into giving it a try thank you for the help. Is there a place to buy a cheap drive for her to use it doesnt need lots of space 240/500 will work for her needs as of now i need to get her pc working again.

oh nice one.. you ripped the sata power connector out and buggered the pins..

Get a new HDD, repair the pins, mirror the broken HDD onto the new one and get rid of the broken one

I see you didnt read the post thats fine ill do a tl:dr The power connector that was plugged in broke in some way while plugged in i know if it melted or just snapped but the plastic is stuck inside the pins. I did not notice this at first and bent a few pins trying to plug it in then accidently bent a few more trying to dislodge the plastic.

probably snapped, would seem like a structurally weak point for the plastic

It wont come out of the pins and when i tried to use the same broken plug because the plastic fits correctly it smells like burning plastic

smelling like burning plastic.. It shouldn't really be doing that..

Try and re-bend the pins and get a new sata power cable. The drive is buggered now anyway, but see if you can salvage as much data off of it as you can

When i tried to start the computer with it plugged in it wouldnt boot even to bios and started to smell

smelling like burning plastic.. It shouldn't really be doing that..

Try and re-bend the pins and get a new sata power cable. The drive is buggered now anyway, but see if you can salvage as much data off of it as you can

Looking closer as it sits here you can see that a pin is burnt jfP2c.jpg

good luck OP, you will need it. 

Replace that drive ASAP, if the connector melted into the sata power connector, you have bigger problems (figure out if the drive, your PSU or you house's electrical system is acting up, and replace/mitigate the risks as needed).