is Motherboard audio becoming really good to a point that having a separate audio card is becoming useless/a thing of the past?

Just something that i've been thinking, current high end mobos & upcoming future motherboards boast a lot of features in the audio section , they're even separating a motherboard section & dedicate the space purely for audio with proper shielding, pretty neat feature if you ask me, plus it come with audio features that most sound cards come with or even better,

So , What are your thoughts on this? what do you think is happening & where do you think this is headed?

Dayum dat title length!

Details separate people.

Wow, what a long topic title. Yeah, audio cards are useless at this point, although if you're really an audiophile, there are some nice ones that just don't compare to onboard audio.

It's either mb audio or external dac. Soundcards are useless already.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Having a separate audio card is pretty pointless. There's two kinds of people, those who are perfectly happy with onboard audio, and those who go straight to a dedicated DAC and amp.

"Rawr XD"

Motherboard audio is indeed improving, if you really care about sound quality the only things you should be considering if you're NOT going to use onboard sound, is to use external amp/dacs IMO.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just something that i've been thinking, current high end mobos & upcoming future motherboards boast a lot of features in the audio section , they're even separating a motherboard section & dedicate the space purely for audio with proper shielding, pretty neat feature if you ask me, plus it come with audio features that most sound cards come with or even better,

So , What are your thoughts on this? what do you think is happening & where do you think this is headed?

Pretty much most mobo's built in soundcard is capable enough to drive headphones nowadays adequately except maybe orthodynamic and electrostat stuff. I tried plugging in my headphones directly to the mobo sometimes and the difference is minimal compared to a dedicated amp/dac setup.

I'm not expert to speak on this, but I found a lot of on board audio still gives muddled sound on nicer headpphones, and worse yet, perfect good sound cards have drivers that give "enhancements", especially on laptops, that just...ugh...fuck up the audio quality so bad, and it can be difficult to get all of the features working without these "enhancements" if you can't find a standalone driver without all of that extra crap....cough....realtek....(beats software on hp laptops well, worse but more apparent that you need to get rid of it )

Still, the ONLY reason I've bought a sound card in recent years is if the onboard one just sucks that bad (be it bad sound or unacceptable white noise or EMI on cheaper boards), and I get something that just works right for a good price, not "hi-fi". If I wanted really nice, I would consult someone and buy an external dac/amp combo that'd I'd only consider buying if my budget was at least a few hundred bucks for headphones alone 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Audio cards are kinda useless nowadays.

However, if you are professional, Audio-cards in the $1,299-$3,000 USD Range are all the rage.

Sound cards aren't worth the money.  As of right now I don't know of any motherboard that can power HD 600 properly and putting an amp in a computer is just asking for interference.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Unless you are one of those people who just has to use 1/4 inch jacks, there isn't a need for a sound card. Onboard is more than good enough for the vast majority of users, and external amp/dacs are a better option most times compared to a sound card. Now in the professional production realm, pro-grade sound cards have their uses, but that is a totally different discussion.

I used to have a soundcard... most wasted 60€ in my life... now I am completely happy with onboard audio :)

The Purity Sound 2 audio chips that are built-in ASRock motherboards nowadays have some really nice audio quality that getting a DAC is debatable if you really need one or not. 

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

"Becoming?" I'd say we're already there. That doesn't mean it's good across the board, there is definitely variation, but I'd say that it is good enough for the majority of people running non-ridiculous headphones.