Is the CM Hyper 212 EVO enough to keep an OC'd G3258 cool?

hccard
Go to solution Solved by AMICLG,

I've done 4.7 GHz on a G3258 with a Hyper 212 EVO, it ran a little warm (85c) under load. I'm not 100% sure the voltage but i think it was around 1.255.

So I recently got into the world of overclocking, and I had a couple questions regarding efficient cooling.

I recently completed a build focused around the Intel Pentium G3258. I had read a lot about that particular CPU, and found it to be pretty much exactly what I needed for my semi-budget, yet upgrade oriented machine. The goal here is to get as much use and power out of the G3258 while I can, and then upgrade to something like the new "Devil's Canyon" line later on. When putting this together, I knew that overclocking was a good option maybe in the future, but I didn't realize immediately just how great of an option it really is. I'm looking to pick up the CM Hyper 212 EVO, and possibly a few more case fans to help me get started, but I wanted to get an outside opinion on my situation before I buy anything. I'm currently running the G3258 with it's stock cooler on a Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A. Something that attracted me to that particular board was that it advertised High Temperature Protection with it's "Lower RDS(on) MOSFET Design". All of this is housed in a Cooler Master N200, which currently has one 120mm intake fan in the front, and one 120mm exhaust fan in the back.

Currently with the stock cooler and two fans, my CPU idles at a little less than 40 degrees. Under load, it sits at right around 60. I ran Prime95 for an hour and the highest it ever got was 63 degrees, but it probably averaged around 59 or 60. With that being said, if I overclock my G3258 and raise the voltage accordingly, will getting a Hyper 212 EVO be enough to keep it running in the ideal temperature range? My case has 3 additional fan mounts, another in the front, one on the side, and one on the top (all 120mm). I have found a four pack of Cooler Master 120mm fans for like $12 on a Newegg and was wondering if that would be a good buy. With all that in mind, I would like to point out that I need this CPU to last me as long as I need it, which may be 2-3 years, and from what I understand the hotter your CPU runs, the shorter the life span.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! 

You could get a bigger overclock out of s BeQuiet! Pure Rock. It'll also be quieter.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

You can probably get to 1.25V at least which should give you 4.5GHz if you're lucky or 4.2 at the worst

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

You could get a bigger overclock out of s BeQuiet! Pure Rock. It'll also be quieter.

Do you know off hand if that's smaller than the 212 EVO? I have a microATX Mid tower, so fitting a big cooler in might be tricky, but I do know for sure that the 212 EVO fits.

Yes.

You're fine, my 8120 at 4.5GHz was fine.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I've done 4.7 GHz on a G3258 with a Hyper 212 EVO, it ran a little warm (85c) under load. I'm not 100% sure the voltage but i think it was around 1.255.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!