GTX 970 Randomly Lose Connection to Video Output

exshadowz

So I originally upgraded from a GTX 560ti twin frozer from MSI to a MSI GTX 970 100 ME but I had issues with the card randomly shutting off and losing signal to my DVI. At that time I had both cards in my PC with the 560ti as a dedicated physx card. So after the problem persisted a few times I was told to remove the physx card and I did but the problem still persisted. I proceeded to do a clean installation of Nvidias video driver and it worked for a week and then the problem came back. So I decided to contact MSI customer service and he helpped me create a RMA and send it in. During the time I used my 560ti and I had no issues. About 2 weeks from sending in my 970 I was told that they had no more GTX 970 100 ME to give me a replacement and if I would accept the GTX 970 Golden Edition. Of course I accepted that replacement and I thought now that I have a completely different GPU I should be fine. Well I was really wrong as after 2 days of installing the new GPU the problem persisted. So I thought maybe its my DVI cable that's just unstable with the 970 for some odd reason. So I switched to a HDMI as I didn't have another DVI laying around. After a few hours, well the problem came back. I also realized that most of my random shut offs came from being on Chrome and I read that Chrome's hardware acceleration was causing people some issues. So I turned that off and am now waiting. But if this does not work can someone please provide me with your expertise on what I should do to solve this issue. I am new to the world of custom gaming PCs and is my first major upgrade from when I had a friend build this for me in 2009 or 2010 (not 100% sure when I built it)

My Specs:

i5 2500k @ 3.30Ghz

MSI GTX 970 100 ME ----> Now a MSI GTX 970 4G Golden Edition

MSI GTX 560ti (Dedicated Physx Card) -----> currently no longer in my system

8GB RAM

750W Ultra X4 PSU

Make sure the GPU is seated properly, make sure it's PCI-E power connections are seated properly and the pins in them are seated properly as well, and make sure the video cable is plugged in correctly, and that the monitor is plugged in correctly. Just to make sure it's not that. 

Then try a different video output and see if the same occurs, then get back to me if that did anyhting.

Edit: Just read that you tried the diff output and the same happened. Try reinstalling drivers.

revert to an old driver such as 350.12. I have had major problems with the new drivers such as crashing every 30 minutes and general instability

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Make sure the GPU is seated properly, make sure it's PCI-E power connections are seated properly and the pins in them are seated properly as well, and make sure the video cable is plugged in correctly, and that the monitor is plugged in correctly. Just to make sure it's not that. 

Then try a different video output and see if the same occurs, then get back to me if that did anyhting.

Edit: Just read that you tried the diff output and the same happened. Try reinstalling drivers.

Did all that before and still did it.

revert to an old driver such as 350.12. I have had major problems with the new drivers such as crashing every 30 minutes and general instability

how do you revert to an older driver. Sorry I never had to revert so I don't know how to do this? 

Did all that before and still did it.

how do you revert to an older driver. Sorry I never had to revert so I don't know how to do this? 

Go to Nvidia's website and install the one you want. Make sure you do a custom installation and select the clean install option. You can also go into your NVIDIA folder in your C:\ drive and look for the driver version you want if it's still in there.