Folding rig recommendation

Guest Johnny5g
Go to solution Solved by Guest Johnny5g,

It will not be good for gaming, and it will EAT power... so beware...

make sure to get the 8320e... it is slowert then the 8320, but it is a 95w CPU, rather then 125w

ok thanks!

I want to get in to folding and my parents don't want to spend a ton of money. Can anyone please give me a a list of parts around $1000 USD but it is not fixed I think $1200 max. Thanks!

Just for folding or for games as well?

This is pretty much a FOLDING ONLY pc, it would do terribly at games due to lack of processing power and memory, not to mention the small storage space... less cpu intensive games it would do fine but yeah

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZDWCQ7

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

No need to really build a FOLDING machine, if you want to give it a shot just do it on your current rig. 

If you like it, by all means splurge and build a wicked machine, the more folds the better, but don't break the bank yet (parents).

KILLING IS HIS BUSINESS...

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Just for folding or for games as well?

This is pretty much a FOLDING ONLY pc, it would do terribly at games due to lack of processing power and memory, not to mention the small storage space... less cpu intensive games it would do fine but yeah

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZDWCQ7

thanks but i don't game so folding only.

4690k and 970 if you need a folding/gaming rig. can always SLI after for more horsepower

thanks

No need to really build a FOLDING machine, if you want to give it a shot just do it on your current rig. 

If you like it, by all means splurge and build a wicked machine, the more folds the better, but don't break the bank yet (parents).

thanks. How do you think my i7 Mac mini will do?

thank you very much! i have started folding but i am afraid it will put a huge toll on my mac. i will be doing my best to make a folding rig. thanks and have a good day.

thanks. How do you think my i7 Mac mini will do?

Can't hurt to try.

thank you very much! i have started folding but i am afraid it will put a huge toll on my mac. i will be doing my best to make a folding rig. thanks and have a good day.

And it looks like you just did, lol. Let it run for a bit, even on light power, just to see your temperatures, and if it looks ok after an hour, put it on full and let it sit, check it every little bit.

KILLING IS HIS BUSINESS...

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Can't hurt to try.

And it looks like you just did, lol. Let it run for a bit, even on light power, just to see your temperatures, and if it looks ok after an hour, put it on full and let it sit, check it every little bit.

ok thanks! i will post a picture

ok thanks! i will post a picture

I'm going to guess 6k ppd and ~75-90C temperatures

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

i am done. 

post-241194-0-99616300-1438104949.png

post-241194-0-99616300-1438104949.png

I'm going to guess 6k ppd and ~75-90C temperatures

i don't know what ppd is but it can 70-80c. light 70c medium 75c heavy 80c. 

i don't know what ppd is but it can 70-80c. light 70c medium 75c heavy 80c. 

PPD = Points per day, that image says you're getting 1345 PPD, use the chrome application to fold, you'll get more points out of that processor.

PPD = Points per day, that image says you're getting 1345 PPD, use the chrome application to fold, you'll get more points out of that processor.

oh thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

A bit over budget, but you could always go with 2x290s until you have money to add a 3rd, and 4th hehe. I don't suggest buying this though as it sucks except for folding pretty much. It should make about 600k ppd (with 3x 290s, cpu won't be worth any really), whereas a single 980 makes around 300-350 or a 980ti makes like 450k ppd or so, but 3x 290s are actually only $100 more than a 980ti now but like I said it's a stupid rig, would just be a pretty good way to get ppd/$.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Run the chrome client on your mac mini, should be a lot better PPD on that thing since it is CPU based.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

A bit over budget, but you could always go with 2x290s until you have money to add a 3rd, and 4th hehe. I don't suggest buying this though as it sucks except for folding pretty much. It should make about 600k ppd (with 3x 290s, cpu won't be worth any really), whereas a single 980 makes around 300-350 or a 980ti makes like 450k ppd or so, but 3x 290s are actually only $100 more than a 980ti now but like I said it's a stupid rig, would just be a pretty good way to get ppd/$.

that is a blank link.

Run the chrome client on your mac mini, should be a lot better PPD on that thing since it is CPU based.

ok so I would install chrome on my Mac?

ok so I would install chrome on my Mac?

Yea if that is possible

Yea if that is possible

ok I will. can I please have a link? Thanks!

that is a blank link.

So it is, but I didn't save it unfortunately. Must have copied from the url bar instead of the pcp link box. Oops, basically I found a gigabyte motherboard with 4 PCIe x16 slots that should be usable concurrently, slapped a celeron in there (I don't think CPU core per GPU matters much for AMD and CPUs have terrible PPD/dollar ratios), 4GB or 8GB ram, some placeholder storage device, a 1500W PSU, a placeholder case, and you would be able to fit 4 R9 290s, or 2 now to stay under budget, then wait for something else to come along with better PPD/dollar that you can afford. Like I said, stupid build as it's going to be a bad computer with a celeron and a crappy storage device for general use, but it will get good PPD (4 R9 290's could be 850-900ppd)

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

So it is, but I didn't save it unfortunately. Must have copied from the url bar instead of the pcp link box. Oops, basically I found a gigabyte motherboard with 4 PCIe x16 slots that should be usable concurrently, slapped a celeron in there (I don't think CPU core per GPU matters much for AMD and CPUs have terrible PPD/dollar ratios), 4GB or 8GB ram, some placeholder storage device, a 1500W PSU, a placeholder case, and you would be able to fit 4 R9 290s, or 2 now to stay under budget, then wait for something else to come along with better PPD/dollar that you can afford. Like I said, stupid build as it's going to be a bad computer with a celeron and a crappy storage device for general use, but it will get good PPD (4 R9 290's could be 850-900ppd)

ok thanks!

ok thanks!

I am curious though, do you plan to build a reasonable general purpose rig and fold on that, or do you have enough money laying around to make an investment in a single-purpose PC? Computer hardware depreciates fast, so it's not really a great investment unless you have multiple times that saved up, or a good source of income and can afford the luxury since it's not even doing anything for you as a tool, you are letting someone else use it for a good cause.