GPU for CAD

Hi guys! I'm planing a build for a friend that does a lot of CAD work, specially with the AUTODESK suite, REVIT and AUTOCAD.

I want to know how good is a GTX 960 compared to a Quadro k1200? He is NOT going to game with this PC.

Thanks! Any other suggestions are appreciated as wel..
:)  :ph34r:

Ummm haven't spent time with Revit but with AutoCAD it doesn't benefit much from a better GPU. CPU is more important from my experience.

GPU becomes important when using Solidworks which has a lot of shading techniques that are only available to professional cards or to people who can do a registry edit and make it work on a gaming card

the quadro it even says its for 3d applications

What are you talking about? AMD dosen't have CUDA whatsoever

Hi guys! I'm planing a build for a friend that does a lot of CAD work, specially with the AUTODESK suite, REVIT and AUTOCAD.

I want to know how good is a GTX 960 compared to a Quadro k1200? He is NOT going to game with this PC.

Do those pieces of software support CUDA or OpenGL/CL acceleration?

The 960 has 1024 CUDA cores, and the K1200 has 512. The K1200 has double the RAM though (2GB for 960, 4GB for K1200 - there is a 4GB version of the 960 but it's quite expensive).

I would say it really comes down to how much VRAM he's going to use. Will those programs benefit from more than 2GB of RAM? If so, the K1200 would be better. Having higher colour depth and ECC memory may also be useful.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

My laptop uses a quadro 2000M and runs like a charm. Rendering is not that fast as it used to be back in the old days, but i would say an equivalent would be sufficient. Quadro cards do tend to get really expensive, so any budget information would be good.

What are you talking about? AMD dosen't have CUDA whatsoever

... what are you talking about? Who said anything about AMD ever in this thread?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I am doing a build as well for a family member who uses REVIT and the requirements are as many cores as you can afford at the highest speed you can afford and even mentions dual Processors. They have certain requirements for the GPU so you really need to use the recommendations from their website. Just go to autodesk.com and check the minimum requirements.

amd has cuda. it is a different name called STREAM PROCCESORS

Ehhh that's not really the same thing.

CUDA is specifically an NVIDIA GPGPU acceleration API.

Both AMD and NVIDIA have Stream Processors (GPU "cores"), but you cannot call AMD cores "CUDA Cores" since that makes absolutely no sense.

My laptop uses a quadro 2000M and runs like a charm. Rendering is not that fast as it used to be back in the old days, but i would say an equivalent would be sufficient. Quadro cards do tend to get really expensive, so any budget information would be good.

He can sped a max of 300 USD for the GPU.

With cad get the cheapest gpu and most powerful cpu

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

... what are you talking about? Who said anything about AMD ever in this thread?

He changed what he said he said, it was something like along the lines of: you shoudl wait for the 380x becasue it has 4000 cuda cores

amd has cuda. it is a different name called STREAM PROCCESORS

Sorry that's not exactly true, AMD equivalent is called stream processors, yes but they are no way near directly comparable to CUDA cores, so no, it's not just a different name

Ummm haven't spent time with Revit but with AutoCAD it doesn't benefit much from a better GPU. CPU is more important from my experience.

GPU becomes important when using Solidworks which has a lot of shading techniques that are only available to professional cards or to people who can do a registry edit and make it work on a gaming card

terere93,

Dietrichw is absolutely correct, one thing I will point out is the current GTX line is not on the official approved or recommended list for compatibility.  While the GTX 960 may have better performance the application may not take advantage of this yet.  That being said I personally would go with a GTX 970 as the price to performance ratio shows this to be a great card especially with applications that can make use of it (Adobe Premier Scrubing, etc).

Hope this helps.

He changed what he said he said, it was something like along the lines of: you shoudl wait for the 380x becasue it has 4000 cuda cores

Sorry that's not exactly true, AMD equivalent is called stream processors, yes but they are no way near directly comparable to CUDA cores, so no, it's not just a different name

i got confused so i changed my post. im like high on dragon fruit

Ahhh my bad, he must have edited his post before I saw.

Yeah. AMD no hablo CUDA cores.

i got confused so i changed my post. im like high on dragon fruit

Please stop spreading misinformation then

but amd still has them in general right? cuda stream or what ever u call dem

Both have cores. But there are applications that can only use CUDA acceleration, if your application uses CUDA acceleration AMD cards can not benefit from that. If the application does not support CUDA Acceleration I think the amount of cores and speed is what matters. 

but amd still has them in general right? cuda stream or what ever u call dem

AMD has stream processors. Just like NVIDIA. No "Cuda Stream", no "CUDA core", just Stream Processors. You could call NVIDIA Cores "CUDA Cores" if you wanted. but only NVIDIA.

AMD DO NOT have CUDA Cores. CUDA is an NVIDIA specific technology (Although apparently they've licensed CUDA to Intel, but that's a different story).

AMD has stream processors. Just like NVIDIA. No "Cuda Stream", no "CUDA core", just Stream Processors. You could call NVIDIA Cores "CUDA Cores" if you wanted. but only NVIDIA.

AMD DO NOT have CUDA Cores. CUDA is an NVIDIA specific technology (Although apparently they've licensed CUDA to Intel, but that's a different story).

k ty

Both have cores. But there are applications that can only use CUDA acceleration, if your application uses CUDA acceleration AMD cards can not benefit from that. If the application does not support CUDA Acceleration I think the amount of cores and speed is what matters. 

terere93,

Regardless of this, graphics card only affects in application previewing.  Rendering and final exporting is 100% processor based.  This means that the person you are getting this graphics card for may not see any difference in CAD performance getting even a 980Ti.  Cuda, Stream, etc do not affect this.

Hope this helps.