anyone else get gpu usage spikes on bf4 shanghai map?

arronleeds

my gtx 970 tanks into the 60-70 fps range from the upper 90s when i play shanghai on tdm, my gpu usage will spike all the way from 98% to 68% amd my fps will go with it, if i go on any other map my gpu is at a constant 90+ fps.

anyone else with this issue.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

my gtx 970 tanks into the 60s from the upper 90s when i play shanghai on tdm, my usage will spike all the way from 98% to 68% amd my fps will go with it, if i go on any other map my gpu is at a constant 90+ fps.

Is it only when the building is destroyed or always

Exactly this. When the building is down, it's very CPU and GPU intensive all of the sudden because there's a shitload of textures on the ground there.

no bro this is on tdm.

it randomly started happening one day -_- im thinking its the game because every other map i play i get around 97-98% usage.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

no bro this is on tdm.

it randomly started happening one day -_- im thinking its the game because every other map i play i get around 97-98% usage.

So you can't destroy the building in tdm? idk then. The only time i get drops on shanghai is when it drops. I only play conquest though, soo.....

So you can't destroy the building in tdm? idk then. The only time i get drops on shanghai is when it drops. I only play conquest though, soo.....

nope, its only a small portion of the map like all the tdm servers :P.

my gtx 970 tanks into the 60-70 fps range from the upper 90s when i play shanghai on tdm, my gpu usage will spike all the way from 98% to 68% amd my fps will go with it, if i go on any other map my gpu is at a constant 90+ fps.

anyone else with this issue.

Is your clockspeed constant when this happens? 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Is your clockspeed constant when this happens? 

erm i didnt check bro but im pretty sure it was.

erm i didnt check bro but im pretty sure it was.

Well if your util maxes and your FPS drops, it sounds like the clockspeed is dropping... a lower clockspeed giving 99% util should give worse FPS than a higher clockspeed giving 70% util.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Well if your util maxes and your FPS drops, it sounds like the clockspeed is dropping... a lower clockspeed giving 99% util should give worse FPS than a higher clockspeed giving 70% util.

il go on now bro and check, its only shanghai which is odd, it only started happening a couple months ago, but i only just realised its the usage thats dropping.

turns out nope, my gpu clock speed stays the same.

turns out nope, my gpu clock speed stays the same.

Ok, next thing: what's your CPU speed and util look like when the GPU usage spikes?

Ok, next thing: what's your CPU speed and util look like when the GPU usage spikes?

cpu is at stock atm so max is 3.9ghz i believe, i used perfoverlay.drawgraph and the cpu and gpu usage was literally up and down like a zig zag and then at times there were huge gpu usage spikes, but i know the reason behind that is not having vysnc and because i have it on my wd green, i dont get the huge spikes when its on my ssd which i have no  space for it on anymore but i still get the low gpu usage

it cant be my hardware for the simple fact its only that one map, i think dice just messed it up.

cpu is at stock atm so max is 3.9ghz i believe, i used perfoverlay.drawgraph and the cpu and gpu usage was literally up and down like a zig zag and then at times there were huge gpu usage spikes, but i know the reason behind that is not having vysnc and because i have it on my wd green, i dont get the huge spikes when its on my ssd which i have no  space for it on anymore but i still get the low gpu usage

it cant be my hardware for the simple fact its only that one map, i think dice just messed it up.

Your CPU is 3.7GHz when under a 4-core load if at stock. 3.9GHz is only for 1 or 2 cores stressed only.

Use an overlay like HWiNFO + RTSS or Playclaw 5 (if you know your CPU/GPU speed is constant) and monitor your util and temps in real-time. Or if you have a second monitor, you can monitor your CPU with Throttlestop 8 or HWiNFO64 sensor mode, and your GPU can be monitored with GPU-Z.

Siege of Shanghai map is very CPU intensive. Your CPU bottlenecks your GPU, which is why the GPU usage drops.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Your CPU is 3.7GHz when under a 4-core load if at stock. 3.9GHz is only for 1 or 2 cores stressed only.

Use an overlay like HWiNFO + RTSS or Playclaw 5 (if you know your CPU/GPU speed is constant) and monitor your util and temps in real-time. Or if you have a second monitor, you can monitor your CPU with Throttlestop 8 or HWiNFO64 sensor mode, and your GPU can be monitored with GPU-Z.

my temps are only around 40-45 while playing and il go into a game soon and monitor my cpu, il overclock it to around 4.2ghz so its the same all the time while under stress.

my temps are only around 40-45 while playing and il go into a game soon and monitor my cpu, il overclock it to around 4.2ghz so its the same all the time while under stress.

Mmm that should be fine, definitely.

Siege of Shanghai map is very CPU intensive. Your CPU bottlenecks your GPU, which is why the GPU usage drops.

my 4460 doesn't give me any drops on shanghai :# I stay 60+ on 1440p and max settings

my 4460 doesn't give me any drops on shanghai :# I stay 60+ on 1440p and max settings

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

i mean i am running my 970 at 1610/2100 and my windows 8 is pretty gutted.