What happens to PS4 and XBone if AMD goes belly up?

dougdangger

Serious question guys.  With AMD in the red and their stocks around $1.60 per share things aren't looking good.  If they go belly up would it mean the end of the current gen consoles?  Since AMD owns the patents and designs and they're the ones manufacturing the hardware, if they go bye bye would that mean no more PS4/XBone?

microsoft and sony can probably buy the plants and keep on making them

my guess is that sony and microsoft would somehow buy the patents to the tech and source them out to someone else. or we could be looking at a new console launch already

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

The world joins PCMR?

/kappa

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

We would probably see Intel modifying one of their current processors for them (think original Xbox-modified Pentium III) and Nvidia making a custom GPU for them (think original Xbox).PS might end up going the super computer route again like the PS3.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

(sorry off topic) but Donald Trump is my hero.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Me2

Im being serious kek

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

my guess is that sony and microsoft would somehow buy the patents to the tech and source them out to someone else. or we could be looking at a new console launch already

Very good point but wouldn't sony and microsoft try to outbid one another or buy the patents/technology separately?

So if Microsoft buys AMD then Sony will be at their mercy unless they're willing to scrub off the PS4 and start over.

They can't Intel amended their liscences with amd if they do get bought out so nobody else would be able to make them

They can't Intel amended their liscences with amd if they do get bought out so nobody else would be able to make them

Well intel can't run their business without AMD licenses so if the contract was void a new one would be created

as For OP the R&D is complete for the chips AMD is only being paid a small amount for the tech, TSMC is manufacturing the chips and that will continue even if AMD was to go bankrupt, TSMC would just continue making the designs

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R