Blue Yeti- Annoying Whine while recording

Chronos5618

Hello all,

I come to you, seeking the help of any audiophiles out there, or people with experience with the Blue Yeti mic in general. Recently bought one off Ebay, for some casual audio recording, gaming etc but found that while recording, there is often a very annoying whine in the background. Fiddling around the with gain, mic volume etc improved the sound somewhat, but at the expense of the overall audio quality. In short, I am unable to reproduce the lovely crisp recordings I've heard from others on the internet using this mic. 

I've done some googling and have tried almost every fix in I have read about, but nothing really fixes it, though some do improve the problem. I guess my question is this- Am I just missing some settings that will make the noise go away, or is it easier to just get a refund off Ebay and go with another set up entirely? I've included a sound clip of the problem, and any feedback would be gratefully received, as it is driving me nuts! 

Thanks in advance 

Blue Yeti Mic Noise.mp3

Blue Yeti Mic Noise.mp3

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Hello all,

I come to you, seeking the help of any audiophiles out there, or people with experience with the Blue Yeti mic in general. Recently bought one off Ebay, for some casual audio recording, gaming etc but found that while recording, there is often a very annoying whine in the background. Fiddling around the with gain, mic volume etc improved the sound somewhat, but at the expense of the overall audio quality. In short, I am unable to reproduce the lovely crisp recordings I've heard from others on the internet using this mic. 

I've done some googling and have tried almost every fix in I have read about, but nothing really fixes it, though some do improve the problem. I guess my question is this- Am I just missing some settings that will make the noise go away, or is it easier to just get a refund off Ebay and go with another set up entirely? I've included a sound clip of the problem, and any feedback would be gratefully received, as it is driving me nuts! 

Thanks in advance 

Do you have your rig standing on the same table as the Yeti? Is the Yeti on the stand it came with or on a boom arm?

To me, your sound bite sounds like vibrations from your rig are picked up through the foot of the mic. Just for experiments sake, try holding the mic in your hand (so that the mic is not touching the table) and do a short recording and see if the whine is gone.

Edit: there is both a low hum and a high pitched whine present, which noise are you referring to?

Do you have your rig standing on the same table as the Yeti? Is the Yeti on the stand it came with or on a boom arm?

To me, your sound bite sounds like vibrations from your rig are picked up through the foot of the mic. Just for experiments sake, try holding the mic in your hand (so that the mic is not touching the table) and do a short recording and see if the whine is gone.

Edit: there is both a low hum and a high pitched whine present, which noise are you referring to?

Nope, my rig is underneath the desk, which is what you are probably hearing. It's on the stand, but it makes no difference if it is on the desk or in my hand. The hum is just my PC, it is the whine that is bothering me. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Nope, my rig is underneath the desk, which is what you are probably hearing. It's on the stand, but it makes no difference if it is on the desk or in my hand. The hum is just my PC, it is the whine that is bothering me. 

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm no expert on this, but in my experience that is not a noise a mic should make... Have you eliminated everything else, i.e. switched usb cable, switched usb port, tried different recording software, maybe a different sound card if you have a spare?

If you have eliminated everything else, I'd get a refund. My Yeti certainly does not sound like that.

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm no expert on this, but in my experience that is not a noise a mic should make... Have you eliminated everything else, i.e. switched usb cable, switched usb port, tried different recording software, maybe a different sound card if you have a spare?

If you have eliminated everything else, I'd get a refund. My Yeti certainly does not sound like that.

Unfortunately I have done all those things and alas, they have had little effect. It's really annoying- I must have listened to dozens of Blue Yeti samples, and not a single one sounds like mine (thought apparently this is a known issue with a specific batch of them). I think I'll probably just get a refund, put some extra money towards it and get something a little more directional so that it doesn't pick up the full sound of my system. Thanks for the help though, really appreciate it! 

Hello all,

Thanks in advance 

first of all , i can't hear a thing from the audio sample .

then did you try a usb that u didn't use for the mic ?

if that didn't work try it on dif. pc if the whining still there i think you have to call customr support :)

first of all , i can't hear a thing from the audio sample .

then did you try a usb that u didn't use for the mic ?

if that didn't work try it on dif. pc if the whining still there i think you have to call customr support :)

Done that- still an issue. Probably just easier to return and get a refund as opposed to dealing with customer support. 

snip

Make sure that the cable from the microphone to the computer is not tangled up in a whole lot of cables. Having a lot of cables around your audio connectors can sometimes cause issues. Try isolating the cable from the microphone to the computer input.