Not sure if I've moved my os to ssd (please help)

CrustyTissue
Go to solution Solved by CrustyTissue,

Yep, just be careful not to move the drive much when you connect it. 

EDIT: So long as you don't disconnect the SSD... How are you having both connected?

Hey i've fixed the issue now :) For some reason the boot priority seems to be on the drive which is placed in the actual drive location (if that makes sense) so i moved the ssd into the normal place and moved the hdd into the caddy and now it works fine. Thanks so much LoneRanger and have fun making all kinds of gains :P

Okay hey guys, so I cloned my hdd to my ssd and changed it to boot from my ssd. However when I tried to wipe my hdd it said 'You cannot format ... it contains the version of windows that you are using' So does that mean that it is still running of my hdd? (Also the windows icon is still on the hdd not the ssd)

Go into your Pc and try booting with the HDD unplugged. If it doesn't work it is still on the HDD

Go into your Pc and try booting with the HDD unplugged. If it doesn't work it is still on the HDD

By what it looks like even if windows is on the ssd it won't boot without the hdd

YOu have to unplu gthe HDD when installing windows on the ssd or you have problems.

You should be able to tell when looking in Disk Management which drive you are booted from:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disk-management-windows-7.htm

The drive will be allocated the drive letter "C" in Disk Management.

If you are booted from the HDD simply try booting without the HDD plugged in as suggested above.

If this fails then you most likely didn't clone the drive correctly and you should try again.

What software are you using to clone the disk?

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

By what it looks like even if windows is on the ssd it won't boot without the hdd

YOu have to unplu gthe HDD when installing windows on the ssd or you have problems.

Thing is it's a laptop and that's a pain ;( I was trying to speed up a old laptop. I don't have the windows disc as the laptop came with windows pre installed.

Go into disk management, is the System Reserved partition on the HDD or on the SSD? 

Never mind, read the question wrong. Unplug the HDD and try re-booting?

You should be able to tell when looking in Disk Management which drive you are booted from:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disk-management-windows-7.htm

The drive will be allocated the drive letter "C" in Disk Management.

If you are booted from the HDD simply try booting without the HDD plugged in as suggested above.

If this fails then you most likely didn't clone the drive correctly and you should try again.

What software are you using to clone the disk?

EaseUS todo backup, I followed this

Go into disk management, is the System Reserved partition on the HDD or on the SSD?

EaseUS todo backup, I followed this

So are you booted from the HDD now? Is your original HDD connected to the PC right now? Did you use a third drive as an intermediate drive?

So are you booted from the HDD now? Is your original HDD connected to the PC right now? Did you use a third drive as an intermediate drive?

Yea the hdd is connected to my laptop but i restarted it went into bios and told it to boot from ssd. It seemed to work but im not sure since i cant format my hdd. I might have just skipped the sdd and went onto the 2nd boot preference.

Yea the hdd is connected to my laptop but i restarted it went into bios and told it to boot from ssd. It seemed to work but im not sure since i cant format my hdd. I might have just skipped the sdd and went onto the 2nd boot preference.

Can you remove the HDD from the laptop? If so can you try booting without it?

okay will do that now

okay will do that now

nope it wont boot :(

IbSSahV.jpgCan you remove the HDD from the laptop? If so can you try booting without it?

It wont boot :(

Go into disk management, is the System Reserved partition on the HDD or on the SSD? 

So it didnt boot ... i guess its still on the hdd :( Did i do something wrong? I just want to move the os to the ssd, I know the simple thing would be a clean install but I don't have the disc or anything since windows came with the laptop :S

So it didnt boot ... i guess its still on the hdd :( Did i do something wrong? I just want to move the os to the ssd, I know the simple thing would be a clean install but I don't have the disc or anything since windows came with the laptop :S

Download the Correct ISO off google put it on a usb and install it!.

unplug the hdd first.

Download the Correct ISO off google put it on a usb and install it!.

unplug the hdd first.

Can you elaborate please (i'm a noob :P)

Nope, you didn't. It's Windows being Windows. I'd just clean install Windows without the HDD connected; back-up any of your files to the HDD, unplug it, install Windows, connect it, transfer your backed-up files over, format the HDD. 

Similar thing happened to me in that when installing Windows i had a HDD i was using to back-up files (didn't have an OS on it) connected, not knowing Windows includes it in the MBR and couldn't boot without it connected. Needed to re-install Windows again.

Can you elaborate please (i'm a noob :P)

Download an ISO of your operating system version, create a bootable USB with it, boot from the USB with only the SSD connected and install Windows. (Should activate it automatically if it's 8+, although there will be a sticker somewhere on the bottom of your laptop with the product-key).

Download an ISO of your operating system version, create a bootable USB with it, boot from the USB with only the SSD connected and install Windows. (Should activate it automatically if it's 8+, although there will be a sticker somewhere on the bottom of your laptop with the product-key).

Okay thanks :) It's late so I will do it tomorrow. Thanks for the help :)

It says 'the product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.'

I managed to find a disk but i removed my dvd to put the ssd in ... I have a portable one but I cant seem to boot of it :(

It says 'the product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.'

Is that after the clean install? What did you install Windows from? 

EDIT: Did you install Windows without the HDD connected? 

I managed to find a disk but i removed my dvd to put the ssd in ... I have a portable one but I cant seem to boot of it :(

Do you not have a USB memory stick you could use?

Is that after the clean install? What did you install Windows from? 

EDIT: Did you install Windows without the HDD connected? 

Do you not have a USB memory stick you could use?

No i tried installing the iso but it gave me that :(

No i tried installing the iso but it gave me that :(

And this was with the HDD disconnected? 

So, you have an SSD that is supposedly a clone of the HDD, and when you tried to clean install Windows on it, it gave you 'the product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.'?