"nixBox Mini" Linux Build Idea

EposVox

Hi all. I'm looking to build a small, quiet, nice-looking Linux machine.

Well, I'm planning one. I don't possibly have the money to build it right now, but I want to plan one out.

I'm using a Mac Mini and PowerMac G5 case as my inspiration.

Here's my build list so far...

• Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX MiniITX Case
  • Intel Core i5-4960K
  • Corsair H80i
  • Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT miniITX mobo
  • Hingston HyperX Fury Black 2x8GB RAM
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
  • Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
  • EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX 2.0 GPU
  • Corsair RM 650W PSU
  • Noctua fans

Any issues you forsee with this build? Other than maybe wifi drivers; I likely won't use wifi.

PCPartPicker doesn't know if the H80i would clear in the case.

Thanks!

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

looks good

how about a smaller case

also why a 960 ? are u planning on gaming on that pc ?

i would try to disable TRIM on that ssd

google "samsung ssd trim linux" for more info

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

how about a smaller case

also why a 960 ? are u planning on gaming on that pc ?

What would you recommend, case-wise?

I mainly went with that one for the smooth look; again, I like how it kind of resembles an Apple case, but not white. Dunno.

And I like having some graphics power for my 'nix. Compiz, some gaming, and I wanna do screen recording and things like that. Just to be safe. 1440p display.

looks good, i just built something similar in specs, what kind of gaming are you aiming for? at the moment i have the pentium g3258 in mine (the haswell quasi K series chip) also have 240mm aio, gtx960, 1 x sdd and 2 x hdd and it runs fantastic and OC'd up to 4.5 easily. It really cut the cost right down in the interim and has plenty of power for a mini PC (thinking i will lash out once skylake comes out and then place my i7 into this little rig)

looks good, i just built something similar in specs, what kind of gaming are you aiming for? at the moment i have the pentium g3258 in mine (the haswell quasi K series chip) also have 240mm aio, gtx960, 1 x sdd and 2 x hdd and it runs fantastic and OC'd up to 4.5 easily. It really cut the cost right down in the interim and has plenty of power for a mini PC (thinking i will lash out once skylake comes out and then place my i7 into this little rig)

See, I was considering a build with the Pentium, but I try to avoid dual cores nowadays.. Does it perform well for you? I never thought I'd use anything under a quad again lol

See, I was considering a build with the Pentium, but I try to avoid dual cores nowadays.. Does it perform well for you? I never thought I'd use anything under a quad again lol

i wanted a cheap media pc, so i built a brand new system (minus graphics and bought just 1 drive) for less than 400 in an m-atx case due to initially being jerked around with second hand parts, etc... i initially tried to overclock the CPU but got crashes due to further using the chip as the GPU as well (did work purfect as media pc with stock speed but whats the fun in that). Got a bit of an itch and picked up a G1 Gaming GTX 960 and overclocked them both very easy, windows loads in a breeze, have not had a CPU related slow down as yet (running windows 10 previews). I havn't done alot of gaming on the thing due to slowly getting my steam stuff over to it (as both a backup and for use). I'm actually very suprised with the power of it, even at the stock speed of 3.2Ghz. I was thinking of picking up an i5 down the track but i have had such good response out of it im going to keep it and as i said once skylake comes i will further migrate old parts down and then build an even smaller pc with the pentium for media consuption/data backups

What would you recommend, case-wise?

I mainly went with that one for the smooth look; again, I like how it kind of resembles an Apple case, but not white. Dunno.

And I like having some graphics power for my 'nix. Compiz, some gaming, and I wanna do screen recording and things like that. Just to be safe. 1440p display.

take a look at the M1 case

https://www.ncases.com/

M1-v2-03-1500x750.jpg

or the FT03 mini

FT03S-Mini-34View-02.jpg

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

• 4 months later...

I don't know if this is gonna be a necro or anything because this is what I saw:
gh0enj9.png

So, anyone out there that think I'm necro-ing... I don't know if I am necro-ing because it looks like the post was made on July this year. So, I apologize in advance.

Anyways, it an FT03 mini would be great, just like what qwerty said.

I don't know if this is gonna be a necro or anything because this is what I saw:

So, anyone out there that think I'm necro-ing... I don't know if I am necro-ing because it looks like the post was made on July this year. So, I apologize in advance.

Anyways, it an FT03 mini would be great, just like what qwerty said.

Awesome, that may be what I go with, then. Will look quite nice.