PMS - Raspberry Pi

I have installed Plex Media Server on my Raspberry Pi 2, and have had it working for months. I decided to reformat it to clear up some files, now when I install PMS and try to play on my Android phone, or Fire TV, I get "The server is not powerful enough to transcode", however it works on web and the Chromecast.

I followed this guide: http://www.htpcguides.com/fix-plex-server-is-not-powerful-enough-on-raspberry-pi-2/ but it did not fix it.

What is going on, please help

What OS are you using? When you reflashed the sd card did you use the same image? Had you updated your system before reinstalling it?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What OS are you using? When you reflashed the sd card did you use the same image? Had you updated your system before reinstalling it?

Same OS - Raspbian. I did sudo rpi-update too.

I did sudo rpi-update too.

that might be the problem. if you got an update that wasn't compatible with PMS that might be the reason you're having these issues. Try reflashing and installing pms without using rpi-update.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

that might be the problem. if you got an update that wasn't compatible with PMS that might be the reason you're having these issues. Try reflashing and installing pms without using rpi-update.

Yes, I have reflashed 10 times :(

Yes, I have reflashed 10 times :(

perhaps the package itself has been updated. reflash and install it without using "apt-get update". do you remember the exact version you were using?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

perhaps the package itself has been updated. reflash and install it without using "apt-get update". do you remember the exact version you were using?

It still won't work with not doing "apt-get update", package as in the Plex One? If so, I was running the latest version previously.

It still won't work with not doing "apt-get update", package as in the Plex One? If so, I was running the latest version previously.

at this point I'm starting to think it's a bug with the android app. try reinstalling that after applying the "fix", see if anything changes.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

at this point I'm starting to think it's a bug with the android app. try reinstalling that after applying the "fix", see if anything changes.

Okay, I think the Fire TV uses the Android App anyway, don't think it was updated though. Checked the Play Store reviews and their all good :( hopefully it is the app, cause it works on Web - so does that mean it is powerful enough?

Okay, I think the Fire TV uses the Android App anyway, don't think it was updated though. Checked the Play Store reviews and their all good :( hopefully it is the app, cause it works on Web - so does that mean it is powerful enough?

oh it's MORE than powerful enough, the problem lies in telling it to the program.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

good, at least we have something to work with ^^ you can probably use that same .apk for both the firetv and your phone. or you could wait to see if an update fixes it, depending on how much you use them (although I suspect the firetv is used mostly for that).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This might be a coincidence, I recently updated both my Plex media server, and the Andriod apps. Now whenever I try to play MKVs it tries to force transcoding, there's literally not an option that will allow me to natively play MKVs, other than setting it to use an external player like MXplayer. There seems to be something kinda borked with the most recent server release (or Andriod apps), I would maybe try rolling it back and see if it makes any difference.

ajnimd.jpg

This might be a coincidence, I recently updated both my Plex media server, and the Andriod apps. Now whenever I try to play MKVs it tries to force transcoding, there's literally not an option that will allow me to natively play MKVs, other than setting it to use an external player like MXplayer. There seems to be something kinda borked with the most recent server release (or Andriod apps), I would maybe try rolling it back and see if it makes any difference.

ajnimd.jpg

Yes, its the apps. I rolled back on Android and Fire TV, and there were no issues. Hope they fix it 

Yes, its the apps. I rolled back on Android and Fire TV, and there were no issues. Hope they fix it 

Yeah it's weird, I can't see anything to suggest they purposefully dropped support for direct play of MKVs, it must be a fuck up. And transcoding video is such a waste of CPU resources (not to mention it looks like shit) when you generally only need to transcode unsupported audio. Strange move by Plex.

Yeah it's weird, I can't see anything to suggest they purposefully dropped support for direct play of MKVs, it must be a fuck up. And transcoding video is such a waste of CPU resources (not to mention it looks like shit) when you generally only need to transcode unsupported audio. Strange move by Plex.

It's not just MKVs for me, all types of videos

It's not just MKVs for me, all types of videos

Oh, really. It's definitely a fuck up then. Hopefully they'll fix it with next Android update.

Oh, really. It's definitely a fuck up then. Hopefully they'll fix it with next Android update.

Hopefully yeh, although it works if I have the PMS on my PC, just not Raspberry Pi

Hopefully yeh, although it works if I have the PMS on my PC, just not Raspberry Pi

Yeah it'll be a similar situation to my old Synology NAS, it had the processing power to transcode Audio, but not Video and Audio at the same time. With Plex trying to force transcoding of both, it (the pi) will lack the power to do so. Whereas, our powerful PC CPUs can handle transcoding pretty much anything on the fly.