Does faster internet improve wifi at same distance?

Agazed

So I pay for a 50Mpbs internet connection and I have 10Mpbs when i'm 10 feet away from my router,

Will I get 20Mpbs when i'm 10 feet away if I have a 100Mbps internet connection?

(Read this a few times if it doesnt make sense)

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

no it doesnt work that way.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

So I pay for a 50Mpbs internet connection and I have 10Mpbs when i'm 10 feet away from my router,

Will I get 20Mpbs when i'm 10 feet away if I have a 100Mbps internet connection?

No you won't the wifi is limited more by the wifi connectivity on your wifi device. So it won't improve, by a lot at least. So use a wired connection, for the love of god, please.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/VLRose I like anime, I'm missing at least 50 off this list.

R9 390, i5 6400, 8GB Ram

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) And no hard drives  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

•  

No. The limit is your WiFi signal strength.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

no. if you think about why the speed drops you will get why this is a silly question.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No you won't the wifi is limited more by the wifi connectivity on your wifi device. So it won't improve, by a lot at least. So use a wired connection, for the love of god, please.

I don't think it'll improve at all.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I don't think it'll improve at all.

What using a wired connection?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/VLRose I like anime, I'm missing at least 50 off this list.

R9 390, i5 6400, 8GB Ram

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) And no hard drives  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

•  

What using a wired connection?

Yes, the speed will improve by a great deal since the connection will be consistent and connection strength will be a lot higher.

Yes the speed at range will be improved if the device can handle it BUT u would be paying more $ per month so in the long run cheaper to get a better AP

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I wish it would. Ethernet it the best way to improve you speed along wifi 

Well yes and no. Basically if the WiFi max speed is the limiting factor it won't improve, but if the connection is then it will. While it depends router to router and on connection, I would say having a connection of less than say 20 mbps nominal will actually show improvement on most routers when connection goes up.

It may seem odd to many city people, but in rural areas it's extremely common to have routers significantly stronger than the isp service. (This is actually an issue at my parents house in fact.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

@Agazed

Everyone likes road analogies with networking, so think of each network connection like a road. When you have a bottleneck in that "road" it doesn't matter how much faster the traffic flowing into it is it'll slow down to the same speed. For example if there's a set of traffic lights that only lets through a few cars at a time. Or when a crowd of people try to get through one or two doors at at once. It doesn't matter how fast they're arriving if there's a massive bottleneck.

Well yes and no. Basically if the WiFi max speed is the limiting factor it won't improve, but if the connection is then it will. While it depends router to router and on connection, I would say having a connection of less than say 20 mbps nominal will actually show improvement on most routers when connection goes up.

OP said their current connection is sitting at 50Mbps. Assuming the speed limit they're talking about is actually the WiFi and not something like torrents clogging up the tubes? They won't get any improvement. Because in this case WiFi is likely the bottleneck.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

@Agazed

Everyone likes road analogies with networking, so think of each network connection like a road. When you have a bottleneck in that "road" it doesn't matter how much faster the traffic flowing into it is it'll slow down to the same speed. For example if there's a set of traffic lights that only lets through a few cars at a time. Or when a crowd of people try to get through one or two doors at at once. It doesn't matter how fast they're arriving if there's a massive bottleneck.

OP said their current connection is sitting at 50Mbps. Assuming the speed limit they're talking about is actually the WiFi and not something like torrents clogging up the tubes? They won't get any improvement. Because in this case WiFi is likely the bottleneck.

Indeed, by my own reasoning he wouldn't get a benefit. I was merely pointing out to the previous posters that in many cases you can get a benefit. In fact, you can look at specific routers to see their speed at a distance to see if you are under that bottleneck or not.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

• 2 weeks later...

no it doesnt work that way.

No. The limit is your WiFi signal strength.

no. if you think about why the speed drops you will get why this is a silly question.

Yes the speed at range will be improved if the device can handle it BUT u would be paying more $ per month so in the long run cheaper to get a better AP

I wish it would. Ethernet it the best way to improve you speed along wifi 

It may seem odd to many city people, but in rural areas it's extremely common to have routers significantly stronger than the isp service. (This is actually an issue at my parents house in fact.)

@Agazed

Indeed, by my own reasoning he wouldn't get a benefit. I was merely pointing out to the previous posters that in many cases you can get a benefit. In fact, you can look at specific routers to see their speed at a distance to see if you are under that bottleneck or not.

Thought I would update you guys on this. So before my new ISP installed my new internet my speeds were 28/5. I went to the corner of my house and saw a 3/1 speed with the speedtest app on my phone.

So now I have 100/100 Mbps speeds and I put my router in the same spot and went to the same spot where I tested it across my house. I then saw 20/14 instead of 3/1.

Oh and don't worry I use ethernet with all my PC's and only use WiFi with phones.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+