Hi all,

I've recently been using a new vocal booth for doing some of my voice overs for upcoming videos using my AT2020 condenser mic. (Normally I'm recording at my desk with my Rode Procaster Dynamic mic.) When in the vocal booth area, I can get clean/quiet sound that I can't get at my desk, so I figured for purely-voiceover videos, I'd use the more bass-y mic for my bass-heavy voice. 

But I was curious... Does anyone know of a better condenser (or somehow better type) microphone for picking up good bass and low-end (XLR only, of course) than the Audio Technica AT2020?

I'm not looking to buy anything; but if anyone has specific examples in mind, I'd love to pose a review request to the manufacturer and see if I could test them out/do some comparisons. :)

Thanks guys!

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

To be honest, it's not really /that/ easy.

Each persons voice is different and you'll really have to try a few different mics before you find the perfect match for you.

I'd suggest reading reviews of popular mics (lots of sites like Sound on Sound have big mic comparisons) and see what looks good to you.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

SNIP

Personally I am looking to get something like the electro voice re20 or re320 (they are dynamic but sound really great for vocals)

or something like the shure sm7b, again an amazing vocal mic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Personally I am looking to get something like the electro voice re20 or re320 (they are dynamic but sound really great for vocals)

or something like the shure sm7b, again an amazing vocal mic

I've used RE20s before - definitely aiming to have them (or one of them) in my normal desk mic setup! They're just expensive, haha.

I've used RE20s before - definitely aiming to have them (or one of them) in my normal desk mic setup! They're just expensive, haha.

yeah but 100% worth it if you want to sound amazeballs

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Good to know! Thanks!

i know this isnt what you asked but would you reccomend the at2020 as i am thinking of buying one

thanks

No one Dies a Virgin, Life fucks us all - Kurt Cobain

i know this isnt what you asked but would you reccomend the at2020 as i am thinking of buying one

thanks

Absolutely! - As long as you can mitigate your background noise. It's a very "hot" microphone; it will pick up a lot. As long as you can keep your ambient background noise down (low PC fan speeds, no room fans, no people, sound foam) the AT2020 is a beast.

Absolutely! - As long as you can mitigate your background noise. It's a very "hot" microphone; it will pick up a lot. As long as you can keep your ambient background noise down (low PC fan speeds, no room fans, no people, sound foam) the AT2020 is a beast.

Thanks, off to buy one

No one Dies a Virgin, Life fucks us all - Kurt Cobain

I upgraded from a AT2020 USB to a Blue Spark and Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. Big improvements there and lots of controls to dial in my sound.

• 2 years later...

I assume that you have already found a mic to use haha. But i'd still like to through in my recommendation.

I recommend that you purchase the Shure SM7B. Its an XLR microphone a little on the pricier side but it is definitely

worth the purchase!