Apple Watch - My First Impressions

You guys should not be payed by Vessel for this video because of the integrated ads in it.

It was a mistake, this version should have gone on youtube but still...

I`m paying for the service because of the no ads policy. If I go to the store and I pay for something and I do not receive that item for my money it`s not fair. This is not acceptable in a commercial situation it should not be accepted in this particular case either.I paid for this service I want to receive what I paid for.

b400b310fb5dda8fde9e1015b6f50411785db02c

It's nowhere in Vessel's terms of service that the content can't have baked in ads. We just don't put them in because we feel like that's a better experience for the paying customer. 

We (I) forgot on this one.

Mistakes happen.

You guys should not be payed by Vessel for this video because of the integrated ads in it.

I`m paying for the service because of the no ads policy. If I go to the store and I pay for something and I do not receive that item for my money it`s not fair. This is not acceptable in a commercial situation it should not be accepted in this particular case either.I paid for this service I want to receive what I paid for.

You heard a cable? Pay a shit ton a month and watch pretty much only ads?

Theres lots of services that you pay for and still see ads

even vessel has preroll ads.

Not to mention the baked-in video annotations that you can't disable either in Vessel. Ironically, the like/dislike, 'i' in the corner, and subscribe buttons are that are plugged in every video in the past week don't even exist in Vessel.

Admoon, plis.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Nope, I distinctly remember seeing a review of the iWatch that was much more of a rant about the device in the last month. The vid was much more scathing than this one and basically dismissed the thing as a piece of junk that nobody should buy. Idk if he took it down and made a review that was much less rant-ish (for example, in the original he went on for a decent amount of time about how crap at controlling a music app the thing was while in this vid it was a quick mention)

Was on the WAN show, before he'd finished writing the review.

Was on the WAN show, before he'd finished writing the review.

It was, but the vid i'm talking about seems to be something that he has taken down.

Seems to be some kind of colour space issue. We are working with Vessel on it.

Probabally this. I'd wage its due to the way the video is processed by the site.

Some really great points there Linus. This product did seemed rushed and does feel like a placeholder for Apple in order for them to secure some of the market-share. Besides looking okay it does feel like a unfinished product that is inferior to a lot of other wearables out there.

Man, this was probably the most biased video I've seen come out of LTT.  People who bought it for its capabilities as a smartwatch/fitness tracker should "feel like an idiot?"  Geez Linus, you've just lost a good amount of credibility in my mind.  This review was almost an objective assessment of the product (outside of the objective untruths about "hey siri" not working, storage capacity, OG iPod nano only holding 50 songs, etc.)  It seems like you let your Apple rage get the best of you on this one, though.  Next time, maybe hold off on insulting people by saying they should feel like idiots, and maybe spend a little more time on finding out what the actual product is and does.

Man, this was probably the most biased video I've seen come out of LTT.  People who bought its capabilities as a smartwatch/fitness tracker should "feel like an idiot?"  Geez Linus, you've just lost a good amount of credibility in my mind.  This review was almost an objective assessment of the product (outside of the objective untruths about "hey siri" not working, storage capacity, OG iPod nano only holding 50 songs, etc.)  It seems like you let your Apple rage get the best of you on this one, though.  Next time, maybe hold off on insulting people by saying they should feel like idiots, and maybe spend a little more time on finding out what the actual product is and does.

Opinions...

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I have the 42 mm version of the watch Linus reviewed here and I can't seem to agree with literally anything he said. He was completely off point on almost all of the stuff he said.

Battery life on the watch easily lasts me a good day with around 25% remaining before midnight. The screen regularly comes on as soon as I so much as move my wrist or hand. The "Hey Siri" function is also rather flawless unless I'm in a very noisy environment. I can just keep going here...

My major issue with the watch (which incidentally he didn't even mention) is the slowness of the apps since they run on the iPhone instead of the watch. I'm waiting to see how Apple deals with this issue with the next version of watchOS. They claim all the apps will be run natively on the watch which would significantly improve performance but we will have to wait and see. I get the impression from watching Linus that he has an irrational hatred for Apple. I've seen this from a lot of people in tech circles since I started building my own PCs in the early 1990s. They hate anything that is Apple with a great deal of intensity and complete lack of objectivity. Ironically I also have some Apple fanboy friends who are the exact opposite. In their eyes Apple can do no wrong, which also kind of annoys the heck out of me.

In short Linus's experience is an exact opposite of mine thus far with the watch.

Enough said.

So basically it's great except the first gen issues, you know, what everyone else has said.

Actually this seemed like a balanced review in comparison to the rants, so, good job.

You need to work on your skills when dealing with time-burglars.

Battery life on the watch easily lasts me a good day with around 25% remaining before midnight. The screen regularly comes on as soon as I so much as move my wrist or hand.

They claim all the apps will be run natively on the watch which would significantly improve performance but we will have to wait and see.

I get the impression from watching Linus that he has an irrational hatred for Apple. I've seen this from a lot of people in tech circles since I started building my own PCs in the early 1990s. They hate anything that is Apple with a great deal of intensity and complete lack of objectivity. Ironically I also have some Apple fanboy friends who are the exact opposite. In their eyes Apple can do no wrong, which also kind of annoys the heck out of me.

I believe he said the the battery life doesn't last him past lunch, the second day after forgetting to charge. Basically your two experience line up there.

I don't think all apps will ever run natively. Sure more and more will, but they have to processing power and therefore battery life.

I don't know how much irrational hatred he has for Apple. I guess most of it stems from Apple constraining the use of their hardware, there are far worse people on this forum. I find he does get on irrational rants sometimes (not build quality though), but when he actually reviews a product he was ranting about, the review is far more favourable then the rants are. I found that in this review he comes across as far more rational then he has in the past ranting about the Apple watch. I guess it's just a difference of what we each saw in the video.

Early adopter products are rarely good or balanced...obviously

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

So basically it's great except the first gen issues, you know, what everyone else has said.

Actually this seemed like a balanced review in comparison to the rants, so, good job.

You need to work on your skills when dealing with time-burglars.

I believe he said the the battery life doesn't last him past lunch, the second day after forgetting to charge. Basically your two experience line up there.

I don't think all apps will ever run natively. Sure more and more will, but they have to processing power and therefore battery life.

I don't know how much irrational hatred he has for Apple. I guess most of it stems from Apple constraining the use of their hardware, there are far worse people on this forum. I find he does get on irrational rants sometimes (not build quality though), but when he actually reviews a product he was ranting about, the review is far more favourable then the rants are. I found that in this review he comes across as far more rational then he has in the past ranting about the Apple watch. I guess it's just a difference of what we each saw in the video.

Literally the only thing he didn't complain about was build quality. This was wholeheartedly a rant, no two ways about it.

The complaints about battery life are a little exaggerated, 36 hours for a battery half the size of most, if not all, Android Wear watches is pretty remarkable, and he has the 38mm version which has a smaller battery, almost 20% smaller. He might be able to hit at least dinner or even night time if he had a 42mm. (Also how he sings praise for his G Watch R for lasting him 2 full days vs. annihilating this product because it couldn't last 6 more hours...)

Some of his points were also just wrong, storage capacity, always listening (which it *does* have). I felt bad because it seemed like he was destroying a product for no good reason, other than to pander to his audience or to simply adhere to confirmation bias. 

This isn't enough for me to be an idiot fanboy and stop watching his videos, but I really wish he would take more time to examine what he's reviewing a little better and do some fact checking before ranting for 10 minutes about something that shouldn't be as bad as he's making it out to me.

Literally the only thing he didn't complain about was build quality. This was wholeheartedly a rant, no two ways about it.

The complaints about battery life are a little exaggerated, 36 hours for a battery half the size of most, if not all, Android Wear watches is pretty remarkable, and he has the 38mm version which has a smaller battery, almost 20% smaller. He might be able to hit at least dinner or even night time if he had a 42mm. (Also how he sings praise for his G Watch R for lasting him 2 full days vs. annihilating this product because it couldn't last 6 more hours...)

Some of his points were also just wrong, storage capacity, always listening (which it *does* have). I felt bad because it seemed like he was destroying a product for no good reason, other than to pander to his audience or to simply adhere to confirmation bias.

This isn't enough for me to be an idiot fanboy and stop watching his videos, but I really wish he would take more time to examine what he's reviewing a little better and do some fact checking before ranting for 10 minutes about something that shouldn't be as bad as he's making it out to me.

Problem is, if it doesn't work for him, it doesn't work for him. If he was just going to pander to the crowd, that video would have a far more negative tone. I think that his own biases against the Apple system does affect the review, as it should given that he is reviewing it not someone who uses the Apple ecosystem.

Also, if you consider that his rant, you clearly haven't seen him discuss the news of the product.

Basically my thoughts on this could be affected by low expectations of the review, much like your might be affected by high expectations.

Problem is, if it doesn't work for him, it doesn't work for him. If he was just going to pander to the crowd, that video would have a far more negative tone. I think that his own biases against the Apple system does affect the review, as it should given that he is reviewing it not someone who uses the Apple ecosystem.

Also, if you consider that his rant, you clearly haven't seen him discuss the news of the product.

Basically my thoughts on this could be affected by low expectations of the review, much like your might be affected by high expectations.

His point still stands it's not ready yet...a computer on your wrist as a watch used too much power to be always on like a watch.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

His point still stands it's not ready yet...a computer on your wrist as a watch used too much power to be always on like a watch.

Not sure why you directed this at me, I never said anything that contradicts this....

Not sure why you directed this at me, I never said anything that contradicts this....

Apologies I picked the last guy who I thought was relevant and made simplest most straightforward point

• 2 months later...

I get about 40 hours of battery life out of my Apple Watch on OS2. No idea why Linus thinks it's a problem. I charge my watch at night when I go to bed. Right on my watch stand next to my iPhone and Macbook. The only way there would be a problem would be if the watch didn't last all day. But it does. Easily. With another 5-7 hours of use when I wake up depending on how much I do from the watch. 

Apple did the watch right. It's something you wear on your wrist. You don't just want it to function like a smart watch. It needs to look good doing that. And that's what the watch does. Sapphire screen with the milanese loop or link bracelets look beautiful. Yeah they are expensive, but so is every other watch with a sapphire screen and metal bracelet. 

Linus didn't want to like the watch and went into it knowing that. Just a rant not an actual review and didn't even mention the actual negatives associated with it (3rd party apps that stream from the phone being borderline useless. Many apps being utter rubbish. App control quality is nowhere near where it should be. Some apps do literally nothing).