Project Evolv

SuperShires

Hey people, for a long time Ive been powering along with a trusty setup built around one sole purpose, to be overkill for my needs, and thats what it started out as a few years ago. It served me well but one thing kept bugging me about my computer. I really dont like the look of it at all. Now living in the UK this setup (check my signature) cost me an arm and a leg to build at the time but I loved it, I loved the experience I gained from it. So time passed by and I thought to myself, lets make this thing really really nice looking. So I waited and waited for a case of my liking that would give all the features I wanted in a case and finally after a very long period of time found one: the Phanteks Evolv ATX!

Now this case isnt out yet so this will be a thread from start to finish, ordering parts (actually I have most parts now which I will show in further posts) Now dont get me wrong, this to most people would be a waste of money because I get barely any performance benefit from the parts Im replacing to how much they cost.

So lets take a look of the system that will be getting a visual improvement:

Starting with the outside (sorry for not the best quality) - 

wO1gQbU.jpg

And the inside -

ESU90fz.jpg

9G6RfIE.jpg

Now the updated parts will include:

Phanteks Evolv ATX Gun Metal Grey case (pre-order)

Corsair H110i GT

Asus Z97 Maximus VII Hero motherboard

CableMod AXi Red / Black sleeved cables with the 24 pin for AX non i PSUs

3X Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 fans

2X Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 fans

1X Fractal Design Venturi HF-14 fan

3X Silverstone CP07 SATA cables

As you can tell Im going for a red/black theme here and hopefully will look amazing.

Follow up posts coming shortly, thanks for reading!

So Im going to start off with the sleeved cables, I have to give a massive thanks to CableMod for providing me with a free 24 pin as I dont own a AXi power supply. You guys are amazing!

xoMRT16.jpg

ZGnbfrg.jpg

Next up is the AIO -

The reason I am replacing the Noctua heatsink is that I find it too bulky and ugly and wanted something more sleek, when I started this build I was originally going for an AIO but my friend talked me out of it, but I just cant help thinking the H110i GT is sexy AF.

U3QJQya.jpg

The Silverstone SATA cables - 

I decided to replace the SATA cables that come with the motherboard because they have white connectors and I didnt like that, though I dont think you would have seen them with my graphics cards installed but never mind.

8UpvpF4.jpg

All the fans -

Ahh the fans, oh what a pain in the arse they have been, finding good looking fans in both 120mm and 140mm variants while also being quiet and with great performance was almost impossible, in the end I settled for Venturi fans, and I have to say these look amazing! I hope they are great, should be anyways over the many corsair fans that are in my current system.

These fans were very very hard to get a hold of in the UK.

pKeLJQL.jpg

Motherboard -

And last but not least, the motherboard. Mainly bought for the looks but it will also provide better thermals for the overclock I will do on the CPU, also gives me a M.2 slot if I ever update the storage.

Also for some reason it arrived without an antistatic bag, could this have been used as a display model?

i44EXvS.jpg

Holy smokes Batman, there is a lot of empty room on that board

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

this to most people would be a waste of money because I get barely any performance benefit from the parts Im replacing to how much they cost.

Starting with the outside (sorry for not the best quality) - 

this is the whole point of modding, you do it for yourself, to make something your own. Some people do it to show off and that's fine too. some people do it purely for performance.

I don't think anyone modded their Hardware because they were doing for someone else. You never hear: "I modded my case for Steve in Accounting, because he wanted me to" 

as for your Pictures. dont worry about it. not all of us have $5k Digi 22MP DSLR's to take flawless photos with. and the sad part is those are the Logs that get all the Attention. even if its a shit build. to me its nice seeing people who are not "Pros"

this is the whole point of modding, you do it for yourself, to make something your own. Some people do it to show off and that's fine too. some people do it purely for performance.

I don't think anyone modded their Hardware because they were doing for someone else. You never hear: "I modded my case for Steve in Accounting, because he wanted me to" 

as for your Pictures. dont worry about it. not all of us have $5k Digi 22MP DSLR's to take flawless photos with. and the sad part is those are the Logs that get all the Attention. even if its a shit build. to me its nice seeing people who are not "Pros"

Haha thanks man, yeah the HTC One M8 doesnt have the best of cameras sadly. I cant wait to finally build it, been waiting far too long for this case, I was annoyed when it got delayed :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well look what arrived today! Haha its like Christmas to me right now. Build log coming as soon as I build in it :)

mIAmCSN.jpg