Custom Desk Build (Project Yellow Panther)

PeggersXtreme

Hi, how is everyone?

I thought it would be a good time to start my new build log a lot of you may remember my original desk build that didn't end well after it got damaged whilst the paint work was drying unfortunately I was unable to save that desk so I have started building version 2.0 with a whole different design to your typical desk build.

Why Project Yellow Panther? Well my build is going to be yellow and black themed and Panthers are awesome so why not lol

any way here's the google sketch up plans I have come up with to show the idea I have cut a lot of the wood ready so it should be built very soon :)

post-179175-0-56573000-1437170038_thumb.

post-179175-0-86736000-1437170039_thumb.

post-179175-0-64055400-1437170040_thumb.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Some of the parts arrived today plus I have painted the fan rings ready :D

post-179175-0-10909600-1437170081_thumb.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

i do not like pegging, much less extremely.

but i do like where this is going.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Oh yeah I forgot Spec :P

This is a Workstation for rendering, graphics and video editing as well as gaming

CPU: intel 5960X

GPU: Titan X 2-way SLI

Ram: 64gb Vengeance

SSD: Samsung 256gb SM951 M.2

HDD: Toshiba 4TB Intenso, 2x 2TB WD Black

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300watt G2

and water-cooling but that is still to come in the build log :P

I have a second SSD but not sure whether to put it in its a Sand Disk 128gb X110 enterprise

Custom PC:

Very cool!  

Desk building is very difficult.  I am curious to see how this goes!  Good luck!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Very cool!  

Desk building is very difficult.  I am curious to see how this goes!  Good luck!

Cheers, it seems to be going fairly well so far I will keep this log updated :)

Custom PC:

Glad you were able to get that motherboard you wanted! Hopefully everything from here on out goes smoothly for you!

Glad you were able to get that motherboard you wanted! Hopefully everything from here on out goes smoothly for you!

Yeah the store I was originally getting all the parts from said it could take up to 6 weeks before they would have it back in stock so I cancelled the motherboard order with them and got it from Amazon. I can't wait another 6 weeks to start building this lol.

I will keep the build log up dated as I progress with the build :D

Custom PC:

Oh yeah I forgot Spec :P

This is a Workstation for rendering, graphics and video editing as well as gaming

CPU: intel 5960X

GPU: Titan X 2-way SLI

Ram: 64gb Vengeance

SSD: Samsung 256gb SM951 M.2

HDD: Toshiba 4TB Intenso, 2x 2TB WD Black

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300watt G2

and water-cooling but that is still to come in the build log :P

I have a second SSD but not sure whether to put it in its a Sand Disk 128gb X110 enterprise

wait a Toshiba HDD your kidding right...

oh god should have gotten a Western Digital/Hitachi even Seagate would be better :U oh well, your choice

but je-jesus 2 Titan X's O.o how much did all this cost?

wait a Toshiba HDD your kidding right...

oh god should have gotten a Western Digital/Hitachi even Seagate would be better :U oh well, your choice

but je-jesus 2 Titan X's O.o how much did all this cost?

The Toshiba Intenso Drives are pretty good now they are practically made by WD as WD owns Hitachi and Toshiba now, for what I want it will be fine, which is chucking raw files and video files on they wont be kept there I have a WD 4tb my cloud for permanent storage the Toshiba is like the stop before it gets edited then the finished products get put on a more secure reliable drive if you get what I mean :) And it cost a lot lol but it's going to be 100% worth it to get more rendering and photo editing done quicker than I use to with my FX8320e Media PC or  i7 3770k (No longer have this machine sold it and put the money into this one)

Custom PC:

Who would have ever guessed Hockey Pucks can come in handy when building a custom desk. Using them as props to hold the legs up a bit higher whilst I work on the back of the desk :P

Custom PC:

Build log videos will be uploaded here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiUq7v2X7QNQbJ3KdC3JSYw :D

Custom PC:

PeggersXtreme,

I like your enthusiasm in undertaking what one would only assume to be a fairly in depth project, and I love the fact your rendered out a mock up, but to me it looks like every computer desk made during the mid 1990's.  Not saying that's a bad thing just looks pretty standard.

PeggersXtreme,

I like your enthusiasm in undertaking what one would only assume to be a fairly in depth project, and I love the fact your rendered out a mock up, but to me it looks like every computer desk made during the mid 1990's.  Not saying that's a bad thing just looks pretty standard.

The computers were built in the display part of the desk in the 1990s? I understood pc's built into desks was a new thing that started last year with the red harbinger crossdesk I may be wrong though

Custom PC:

The computers were built in the display part of the desk in the 1990s? I understood pc's built into desks was a new thing that started last year with the red harbinger crossdesk I may be wrong though

PeggersXtreme,

On second look I see the window which I didn't notice originally which is definitely a nice touch.  The 90's aspect for me was the side pockets which frames the monitor were common for holding CD pockets and floppy disks in some cases.  Should be interesting, one of my favorite what I call PC art is in the link below.  Let us know how it goes.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1424387/gallery-build-log-ultimate-wall-mount-rig-maxxplanck-v2-completed

PeggersXtreme,

On second look I see the window which I didn't notice originally which is definitely a nice touch.  The 90's aspect for me was the side pockets which frames the monitor were common for holding CD pockets and floppy disks in some cases.  Should be interesting, one of my favorite what I call PC art is in the link below.  Let us know how it goes.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1424387/gallery-build-log-ultimate-wall-mount-rig-maxxplanck-v2-completed

yep I will keep the build log updated, I'm going to use the side pockets for storing my mic and camera stuff and I might put the few CD's I have in it lol but these days I just use Spotify :P That PC in the link is similar to the idea I'm aiming for but I wanted it in a like cabinet thing to stop it getting as dusty as one that is outside a case on the wall

Custom PC:

Excuse the Mess guys been working on a fair few projects lately :)

Here's the top of the desk nearly complete.

The Motherboard in the background is a dummy board that no longer works but works great for test fitting lol :P

post-179175-0-10101700-1437335548_thumb.

post-179175-0-10101700-1437335548_thumb.

Custom PC:

Made a slight change to the build. I have decided to go Hardline tubing instead of flex tubing purely for asthetics and because I find flex tubing goes cloudy fairly quickly at least in my last build it did not sure if thats is a common problem.

So watercooling parts are:

EK HDC Nickel fittings

EK HD Acrylic tubing

2 x EK PE 480mm Rads

2 x EK PE 360mm Rads

2 x Alphacool D5 pumps

2 x Phobya Balancer 450 Reservoirs

Mayhems Pastel Sunset Yellow Coolant

EK Nickel Supremacy EVO CPU block

14 Corsair SP 120's with custom yellow rings

EK FC 3 slot Terminal

2 x EK Nickel Full Cover Acetal Titan X GPU blocks

2 x EK Black Titan X Backplates

2 x EK D5 X-top Pump Tops

:D

Custom PC:

Made a slight change to the build. I have decided to go Hardline tubing instead of flex tubing purely for aesthetics and because I find flex tubing goes cloudy fairly quickly at least in my last build it did not sure if thats is a common problem.

So watercooling parts are:

EK HDC Nickel fittings

EK HD Acrylic tubing

2 x EK PE 480mm Rads

2 x EK PE 360mm Rads

2 x Alphacool D5 pumps

2 x Phobya Balancer 450 Reservoirs

Mayhems Pastel Sunset Yellow Coolant

EK Nickel Supremacy EVO CPU block

14 Corsair SP 120's with custom yellow rings

EK FC 3 slot Terminal

2 x EK Nickel Full Cover Acetal Titan X GPU blocks

2 x EK Black Titan X Backplates

2 x EK D5 X-top Pump Tops

:D

PeggersXtreme,

Looks good and I think the hard line will look great.  I was curious if you were planning on two loops (one for CPU and one for Graphics) and why the need for so many pumps?  Do you anticipate with that much radiator and the length of tubing you will have flow issues just using one?  Also where are you planning on mounting the radiators and what does the airflow plan look life for the rest of the components?  So many questions.

Edit:

I did have a suggestion of using the extra SSD as a scratch/storage disk for CAD.  Storing CAD projects on SSD's has been shown to be more beneficial then having the CAD software installed on an SSD.

PeggersXtreme,

Looks good and I think the hard line will look great.  I was curious if you were planning on two loops (one for CPU and one for Graphics) and why the need for so many pumps?  Do you anticipate with that much radiator and the length of tubing you will have flow issues just using one?  Also where are you planning on mounting the radiators and what does the airflow plan look life for the rest of the components?  So many questions.

Edit:

I did have a suggestion of using the extra SSD as a scratch/storage disk for CAD.  Storing CAD projects on SSD's has been shown to be more beneficial then having the CAD software installed on an SSD.

I plan on having two loops like you said one for cpu and one for gpu's each loop will have a 360mm and a 480mm each and 1 pump for each loop.  I will upload some pictures later of the air flow plan and for the SSD I was actually thinking of swapping the 240gb out of my media machine and putting the spare 120gb in there as the only thing installed on the SSD in the media machine is the OS so 120gb is more than enough and then swapping the 480gb I recently put in my MacBook with the 240gb because I store all my mac files on an external so again I only really need space for the OS and a few documents and then putting the 480gb in this rig as a media/graphics drive like you suggested accept this would have much more space :)

Custom PC:

PeggersXtreme,

Edit:

Here's the airflow diagram sorry bout the low detail of it but basically the purple arrows show intake from the bottom radiators but they have a little platform underneath that draws fresh air in from the back and then the red arrows show exhaust going through the 360mm rad on the back I thought the exhaust would be better higher up than the intake as hot air rises etc. hope that explains the airflow side of things :D

The rads wont be yellow that just so they stand out in the diagram lol

post-179175-0-02235600-1437425942_thumb.

Custom PC:

Here's the airflow diagram sorry bout the low detail of it but basically the purple arrows show exhaust from the bottom radiators but they have a little platform underneath that draws fresh air in from the back and then the red arrows show exhaust going through the 360mm rad on the back I thought the exhaust would be better higher up than the intake as hot air rises etc. hope that explains the airflow side of things :D

The rads wont be yellow that just so they stand out in the diagram lol

PeggersXtreme,

Looks solid, is there a reason you don't have them venting out of the top?  Might help keep the piping nice and clean between them and optimize air flow over the board for the VRM's.  Another option could be to use the side pockets so long as the side pockets are open in the back.  Not ideal for CD's but hey, CD's aren't ideal anyways.   :lol:

Another Quick update

It seems this build is delayed again as my order has been delayed again :(

The store said they had everything a couple week ago and were just waiting for backplates however today I recieved an email from them saying they no loner have the Titan X's instock or the Waterblocks or Backplates. They should have been holding it all until the rest came instock in my opinion anyway, this build has been a bumpy ride and starting to think if I will ever get my parts before the next gen cpu's are out lol

They are well and truly taking the biscuit now I have been waiting for these parts for 5 weeks now hoping it will start going to plan soon.

I will update as soon as I have more news and another build update.

Custom PC:

Parts are now officially on there way so I can finish this build :P

I have still got a little work to do but I need to wait for the parts so I can plan radiator positions.

The back board will be either painted or carbon wrapped.

and the bottom radiator stands are just placed there at the moment I haven't yet fixed them they will probably be positioned flat but I need to play around with it to get them to a suitable airflow position.

I have had to go with 4 x 360mm rads as the 480's would have been a tight fit and I know you might think the front usb 3.0 are in a odd place because they will probably be behind the monitor but there's actually a little cable hole in the base of my monitor which lines up quite well :) and I plan on upgrading to an ultra wide (I hope the stand lines up with the usb's like my current display :/) which will fill most the width of the bottom part of the cabinet :)

The hard drives have changed for this build as well instead of going with 2 WD blacks and a Toshiba Intenso I changed to just two 4tb WD blue SSHD drives

(little tip that I learnt the WD black drives are actually worse than the blue drives in terms of speed and I don't mean the blue sshd versions I mean the stardard WD blue drives.  :D)

post-179175-0-13279300-1437979327_thumb.

Custom PC:

Looks like Christmas on my desk today :P

The parts are finally here just got to wait for the fittings, cpu block and PETG tubing to arrive :)

post-179175-0-50766600-1438113962_thumb.

Custom PC: