Mechanical keyboards

OrangeLemon

Are all mechanical keyboards different? To be specific is a das keyboard (cherry mx blue) any better for typing than a Razer blackwidow (also blue cherry mx).

Quality wise, yes, Key wise no. Also the Razer Blackwidow uses fake cherry mx blues, only the Pro or Ultimate (forgot what the upgraded version is) uses real mx blues.

Yes, sometimes some mechanical keyboards are built more better than other keyboards. The Das Keyboard uses Cherry MX blue switches while the Razer Blackwiddow uses fake Cherry MX keys, meaning that they use some other kind of key. Some times the keycaps could be different. Some keyboards use double-shot injection molding, dye sublimation, pad printing, or laser etching.

Information about the different types of keycaps and other info related to mechanical keyboards: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6018011

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Quality wise, yes, Key wise no. Also the Razer Blackwidow uses fake cherry mx blues, only the Pro or Ultimate (forgot what the upgraded version is) uses real mx blues.
I now have a Blackwidow expert 2013 does that have cherry mx blue keyswitches?? Especially since when I removed one of the keys it did say cherrycorp.

The keycap size and shape will also be a factor when it comes to the typing feeling. I've also heard the type of backplate can make a world of difference between two keyboards with the same switch...but don't quote me on that, its just what i have read in the past. I do know the K90 felt a little different compared to my Rosewill with reds. But only really tested the k90 in store so I don't have that much long term experience comparing the two.

Yes, sometimes some mechanical keyboards are built more better than other keyboards. The Das Keyboard uses Cherry MX blue switches while the Razer Blackwiddow uses fake Cherry MX keys, meaning that they use some other kind of key. Some times the keycaps could be different. Some keyboards use double-shot injection molding, dye sublimation, pad printing, or laser etching.

Information about the different types of keycaps and other info related to mechanical keyboards: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6018011

They certainly do not use another key. Where did you hear that?

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Linus mentioned it as a rumor. I'm guessing the switches could be a cherry clone similar to alps its many clones.

Yeah the expert has real ones.

@ NeoZeon, the low end Blackwidow does not use CHERRY keys.