Modding FAQ - Common Mods

GPU Painting

attachicon.gifGPU Painting Title.jpg

I don't remember you asking to use the photo of my painted GPU... but it's fine! :D

( link )

If you'd like more pictures for the category, I'll be painting my r9 290 Tri-x some time soon, and could compile the process into steps and pictures.

Loved the post, seemed very useful for modders just starting out, with enough information in varying topics. Maybe put up some cutting tool recommendations for the window mod? I know that would be helpful to somebody like me.

- Rumi

I don't remember you asking to use the photo of my painted GPU... but it's fine! :D

( link )

If you'd like more pictures for the category, I'll be painting my r9 290 Tri-x some time soon, and could compile the process into steps and pictures.

Loved the post, seemed very useful for modders just starting out, with enough information in varying topics. Maybe put up some cutting tool recommendations for the window mod? I know that would be helpful to somebody like me.

- Rumi

Ah noted I will add you as a reference for your work, sorry about that didn't know that was actually from the forums here. BTW looks great  :P

• 2 months later...

Looking into EL Wire...

Be warned by the coil whine!  :angry:

Unfortunately I just have some of that stuff sitting in a box as of right now, I'm possibly looking into double potting the inverter or finding unpotted 12V ones which I can try to pot myself with rubber or silicone to hopefully see if there is a difference I can make.

Be warned by the coil whine!  :angry:

Unfortunately I just have some of that stuff sitting in a box as of right now, I'm possibly looking into double potting the inverter or finding unpotted 12V ones which I can try to pot myself with rubber or silicone to hopefully see if there is a difference I can make.

Take a bucket, throw a 12V inverter in it, and fill it with shoe goo! I'll be looking to reducing the whine once I receive mine. If I find something, I'll post it here.

blackshades on

• 5 weeks later...

-snip-

Great work putting together this information! However, the labeling of the individual contacts (what you call "terminals") is a bit odd. What you have listed is the colloquial terms whereas identifying them by type i think would provide more clarity. (i.e. the "ATX Terminal" is really a 4.20mm Molex Mini-Fit socket contact)

Great work putting together this information! However, the labeling of the individual contacts (what you call "terminals") is a bit odd. What you have listed is the colloquial terms whereas identifying them by type i think would provide more clarity. (i.e. the "ATX Terminal" is really a 4.20mm Molex Mini-Fit socket contact)

Glad you enjoyed it, I was trying to keep things fairly simple for others who may be new to this stuff but I can add in the technical terms for those who may be sourcing them. I do plan to reformat some sections including the Terminals section with matching images of the proper connectors but will probably wait until after the new update to the forums.

• 3 weeks later...

Im from Europe and i cant find any ATX female/male 6,8,24 pin connectors to buy what to do now... 

Im from Europe and i cant find any ATX female/male 6,8,24 pin connectors to buy what to do now... 

Only thing missing from our store that you need is ATX male and female pins, which will be getting added later tonight.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

So I know this is like modding 101, but it's perhaps the easiest mods in existence, and people don't mention them much (given this is something literally everyone with/considering a Define R5/S complains about)...

Closing Unwanted Case Ventilation

Materials/Tools Required:

• Foam Board (highly recommended see below) or Equivalent
  • Paint (optional)
  • Scissors/Knife
  • Adhesive (Double-sided tape or glue)
  • Ruler (optional) 

Take black foam board (or the color of your case) like this 

BlackFoamCore250.jpg

1. Measure/make an outline of your desired shape ("Pro Tip": This material is super easy to work with so I'd recommend working a bit large to start and shaving off extra for final fit.)
  2. Score along outline on one side
  3. Snap foam-board over, and cut backside at seam
  4. Test fit inside case
  5. Correct shape (optionally this foam board is so easy to work with you can make a template roughly first then start with a finished shape later)
  6. Use favorite mounting method to secure foam board.

Example result:

post-225630-0-22696100-1452653913_thumb.

Voila the most hated part of the Define S is fixed with little to no hassle and the color IRL actually matches exactly! You can use textured paints to make things even more seamless.

Now why do I recommend foam-board so heavily?

1. It's super cheap.
  2. It's easy to work with and paint/glue.
  3. It has clean flat outer surfaces while being durable, and interally malleable (if you need to squeeze it in somewhere).
  4. As a layer of encapsulated foam, it provides shockingly good noise dampening properties in addition to its other uses.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

The Forum update broke your images.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

Just now, LittleCarrot said:

The Forum update broke your images.

Yeah everything broke, the forums is currently processing data so hopefully it will fix itself in due time, if not I was planning on reformatting it after the update so I guess that's a way to jump start it xD 

Just now, W-L said:

Yeah everything broke, the forums is currently processing data so hopefully it will fix itself in due time, if not I was planning on reformatting it after the update so I guess that's a way to jump start it xD 

I can make you some image headers. 

- Albert Einstein

Images have processed.

- Albert Einstein

On 2/1/2016 at 4:02 PM, W-L said:

@W-L forum has broken you're :angry: emoticon

Great post by the way enjoyed reading it through, and will look again in depth when my project reaches the next step in modification.

You could add perhaps, something that I wish to do as soon as I can find the tool. Which is to back-out my motherboard connector pins and cover the mustard and ketchup wiring with some coloured heat shrink.

Have been able to locate a molex pin tool (female) which is simply a tube that fits over the connector and pushes down the metal tabs. With a plastic post that slides down through the outer metal tube pushing the connector out through the plastic retainer clip.

The motherboard PSU plug has really small square shaped pins and even a thorough search online did not locate the same type of tool as the molex one.

Do you know if that tool to back out the PSU plug, is similar to the molex one or should my search be for a different tool altogether, and would you have a closeup picture of one please?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

5 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

-SNIP-

Haha well things are back to normal now, hoping to make some big changes soon though :) 

As for the tool your looking for it's normally known as a ATX pin remover:

http://www.amazon.com/Molex-Extractor-Extraction-11-03-0044-Connector/dp/B00GOIY1NE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1455199061&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/mod-smart-Full-Removal-Tool/dp/B001KQDS6G

426a5a77_Proper_Use_of_Molex_Tool_1_1024