Horus build (Fractal Design Define S and custom EK-WB watercooling)

viakruzis

CGnhAVN.jpg

Actual build status:

XVzG623l.jpg

Hi guys,

I am going to replace my Aerocool Xpredator X1 build with the new case from Fractal Design, as the Aerocool one is limiting my watercooling project.

I think Aerocool cases are not sold in America, but it shares a lot with the Rosewill Thor...

Some pics of the donor:

piZBWGvl.jpg

cG5B8zQl.jpg

I am still gathering some bits, but the component list is the following:

PC Components:

-Fractal Design Define S (already shipped)
-Asus Maximus VII Hero
-Xeon e3 1275 V3 (replaced with a 4790K)
-Gigabyte 780Ti (replaced with a EVGA 980)
-Dominator platinum 1866 16 Gb
-Crucial M550 240 Gb
-WD Caviar Black 1 TB
-WD Green 2 TB
-Corsair AX750 (Maybe worth updating)
-Custom sleeving (Maybe)

Watercooling components:
- Laing D5 Pump
- X-RES for laing D5
- CPU waterblock EK Supremacy
- EK GPU waterblock and backplate for 780Ti Windforce 3X (980 one shipped)
- 240mm XTX EK Radiator
- 360 Radiator EK Coolstream PE
- Full chipset waterblock - Just thinking about it.
- 4 Corsair SP120 Low noise edition
- 2 Enermax 120 fans.
- Primochil LRT Tubing
- Mayhems blood red
- EK and Alphacool fittings and adapters

Misc:

- Razer Blackwidow keyboard

- Logitech G502 proteus

- Dell U2515H

- LG 24EB23

I have several designs I have made and 3d printed for the reservoir placement and other mods.

4IpZUJMm.jpg

Please guys, if you have any constructive idea about the components or the build itself, just let me know.

1st Update - The case has arrived!!

I have ordered it the July 5th on Amazon Spain, and it took it 10 days to arrive. I have been checking Amazon websites and it seems that this case is having a great acceptation and is a bit hard to get one atm.

I am going to share with you my first impressions about the case:

The packaging was good, everything arrived as it should, and no surprises. I think this case made a long trip from germany as per the shippment tracking, so it is a good thing to keep in mind.

yhdMoMAl.jpg

Design of components: In my opinion Fractal Design is one of the greatest case designers of the moment, as they are being the first ones to bet on some revolutionary changes.

I think they have taken the right step to avoid having any 5,25 and 3,5 bays inside the case, as nowadays almost nobody needs a cdrom drive, and the ssds can be placed anywhere due to the fact that they don´t have mechanical components.

0iy28wbl.jpg

About the materials: Good, but not great. Obviously with this price point you can´t ask for the same materials quality as a Lian Li case. I think the materials are good, and the case seems to be pretty rigid even for not having any pilar on the main space...

The any cons I can see on this first impressions is the window material, as it seems to be pretty delicate. Apart of that, some people is talking about the fact that the air filter on the bottom has to be removed from the rear, but I don´t have any issue with that at all.

kyg2BkJl.jpg

Here we can see a little comparison between both cases (Full tower vs mid tower)... We will see if size really matters or not haha

CVNU3esl.jpg

2nd Update - Measurements and Initial planning.

I wanted to check how the motherboard would fit on this case, and get an idea about how much space I will be able to work with, so I have installed my old rig, an Asus Crosshair Formula Z with a whooping AMD FX9590 (It has same size as my new mobo so it worked pretty well).

Hf7Cx0il.jpg

As I supposed, we have plenty of space to work with our watercooling loop. (Note the space that the GPU takes, it is a GTX 690, which is 30 cm long...) Pretty impressive.

I did check the space remaining for our radiators (I intend to put a 240 and a 360 there), and there is no problem if you are going to use 120cm fans radiators, as you have plenty space on the top.

It is important to know that if you are using a 360 on the top and it is wider than 55 mm, it is going to cover your motherboard. (In my opinion the perfect match for the top is a 360 with W30 mm, or even a 420 with the same width)

Important: As Fractal says on their webpage there is some limitation when placing a radiator on the top:

Top – 420, 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators. (A thickness limitation of 55mm for both radiator + fan applies on 420, 280 and 140 mm radiators)

If you use 140 mm based radiators, you have that limitation, as it will collide with the motherboard.

On the front we can compromise the fan filter and add a much wider radiator, so I am not concerned here. Nice point here for Fractal.

Another things I have noticed about the case:

-Lovely feature that says you where you have to put the mobo stand-offs for each kind of standard (ATX, Micro ATX or ITX.

kl2gDVCl.jpg

The rear panel includes a very good insulation panel that weights a lot actually. Very good material

Ex4Vqlzl.jpg

I know this one may be a non important thing to some of you, but I love this feature. Fixed thumbscrews!! I love not having to worry about them every time I make something on the case..

idhqbJQl.jpg

One of the best ways I' ve seen to solve the storage placement problem nowadays... Bravo!

w3KAqYul.jpg

3rd Update, surgery time!!

Finally I have decided to move all components from my old case to the brand new Define S.

-First step, getting the case naked, fans out. Here we can see the massive space we have to use with our rads.

tpvEdRal.jpg

Front pic. Since this is going to be a red/black theme, I thought about painting the PCIe covers, but I did have some replacements at hand.

it2wY9Ul.jpg

I gathered all bits in place in order to start the surgery process...

6DJtuKyl.jpg

This is how a EK XTX 240 gets on the front (65mm thick :D :D ) Keep in mind that using a radiator this thick will mean to use the fans on the outside part of the case (So, no front dust filter)

WdxMQhQl.jpg

Fans mounted on the rad

5hXPZf8l.jpg

While mounting the ssd and the HDDs, I have noticed that the holes to route the satas has a small slope. I discovered that 90 degrees sata cables are not suitable because of this.\

16GEvtzm.jpg

PSU mounted, as well as the PUMP+RES combo (I decided to use my Laing D5 with the EK X-RES, as it is pretty straightforward in this case) We didn' t need the fractal bracket, as the pump holes matched perfectly the ones in the backplate of the case.

Av5McdSl.jpg

hDWeWz1l.jpg

Getting almost there... Just finishing the cable management of the PSU and HDDs, and decided to add a third fan on the front, to improve the ariflow inside the case.

SULipcPl.jpg

Adding the fittings and watercooling loop.

I just wanted a clean loop with the less curved tubing as possible. Achieved this by using extenders, 90 degrees fittings and some 45s... Just filling it with distilled water to check if there was any leak. Note as well the placement of the draining port on the rad. (It is not an optimal placement but it will work well.)

jLBVwxhl.jpg

After 10 hours of leak testing with an external power supply, I drained the loop again and added the LED strip as well as the bloody liquid :D

pQszTmvl.jpg

UmzwxTIl.jpg

"FINAL" RESULT

u8YqffNl.jpg

Misc bits:

Has anybody tried to do PCIe covers to match the mod theme? :D :D :wacko: :unsure:

I did a 3d printed test haha

fhluWUNl.jpg

For the next update I want to add to the loop a 360 radiator on the top and change the PSU (maybe custome sleeving too). I have to think about those components atm.

4rd Update, Adding a EK Coolstream PE 360 radiator, EVGA GTX 980, i7 4790K

Hi guys, I have managed to get some replacement bits for my build. As the new skylake processor is being released at this moment, I decided that maybe was a good time to buy a I7 4790k.

WzGuQsrl.jpg

I have received as well the new radiator and the new GPU, but I am still awaiting for the gpu waterblock that is on its way now. :D

Rad
9iRSHs9l.jpg
GPU
euSZBohl.jpg

In order to replace those bits, I had to get all the cooling parts out. I will redo the loop so we can take advantage of the new massive 360 rad.

I made a tiny video of the draining process.I will change the draining plug placement as It does not drain the circuit as I desire

https://vimeo.com/135505737

And this is the actual status, as I am awaiting for the gpu block to arrive.
tjQ1HFAl.jpg

I totally advise to use 30mm thick radiators on the top of this case, I almost hit the memory dimms with this one.

5th Update, 980 watercooled and the new loop finished.

I have received the new waterblock for the 980 and I have it installed, here is a very very quick timelapse of the process.

All the loop has been redone, and I finally decided to use only the EK Coolstream PE 360, as it is more than enough for the components I want to keep cool. I don´t think having the 240 radiator on the loop as well would cause any huge difference on terms of heat dissipation.

By using this thinner radiator I have gained enough room on the front to put the fans on the inside part of the chassis, so we are able now to use the dust filter on their place.

HInkEjul.jpg

And some action!

CPU @ 4.8 Ghz on XTU stability test. Two days have passed with those settings and no crashes whatsoever
KZYAj7e.jpg

GPU during Unigine Valley bench
8428TRHl.jpg

I have to find some cool backplate for the 980, but I haven´t decided between the classic anodised black aluminium, and a nickel one. What do you think guys?

6th Update, hardline tubing FTW!, new backplate and some other mods to the loop design.

I have finally decided to change my loop to hardline tubing. It was a hard decision, as I have 30 different fittings for normal tube, that I cannot use anymore :( .

The chosen hardline fittings are the EK HDC Nickel 16mm OD.

EVGA 980 Nickel Back plate
m50HRtil.jpg

ESHXzJhl.jpg

Hard tubing loop build process

It took me around 4 hours to bend those puppies, measuring, cutting, cutting again, bending... total pita, but I think it is worthy.

I don't exactly know what happened to my liquid, since it was blood red, and it changed to a purple haze haha. I actually like it, and I will maybe paint the fans to match the liquid.

9p5wgaxl.jpg

olcIlUtl.jpg

b558MPOl.jpg

8yT5y2Xl.jpg

BNCbxP6l.jpg

I have finally replaced the PSU... with a flipping AX1200i!!

Not bad for not being sponsored at all haha

XVzG623l.jpg
To be continued!

Case has arrived!, I have updated the main post with pics and some impressions

2nd Update - Measurements and Initial planning.

(I criticise basically every build I come across, no matter how cool or well built, so don't be offended) Those fans in the front look incredibly restricted by the front panel. Is it a non-issue?

(I criticise basically every build I come across, no matter how cool or well built, so don't be offended) Those fans in the front look incredibly restricted by the front panel. Is it a non-issue?

Without the filter, it isn't too terribly restricted, but you still might get slightly better temps by cutting a hole in the front panel and putters some modders mesh in like Bill did!

I like good humans and good food

Hi guys, I have just made a test using Prime95, and the difference between the test with the frontal panel on and without it is only of 2 degrees celsius. Idle temp was 34º for both tests

First peak here was the test without front panel, that stopped at 56 degrees celsius.

zktyMY2.png

The second test peaked at 58º celsius..

pMFoMRA.png

I think it is important to say that I am using static pressure fans (SP120 Low noise) on the front, so if you are using airflow ones, this may change a little.

Update

I am replacing the 780ti for a brand new EVGA 980 ACX 2.0 and adding a huuuge EK Coolstream PE 360 radiator to the loop. I will add pics as soon as I finish it.

New bits arrived!!

euSZBohl.jpg

9iRSHs9l.jpg

The build will have to wait a bit, as I need a new Waterblock for this 980, and I am thinking about going Hard Tubing, so I will have to replace all the fittings...

Update:

GPU Waterblock for the EVGA 980 bought!! Plexi+Copper version (I prefer it personally to the one I have on the 780ti (Acetal), as it lets you see the coolant passing by.

I will add both 360 radiator and the 980 to the build as soon as I can :)

New update added to the main post

New I7 4790K, EK 360 radiator added, and still awaiting GPU waterblock.

New update with added watercooled EVGA 980, replaced radiator, some videos, and some temps added.

• 3 weeks later...

New bits arrived!

980 Nickel backplate (aaaawesome!), hardline tubing, tools for the tubing (heat gun, silicon inserts and a hacksaw), and new hardline fittings (EK HDC)

Sneak peak... :P

D8MJz2gl.jpg

New update, evga 980 nickel backplate added, hardline tubing, and new color :D

I have finally replaced the PSU... with a flipping AX1200i!!

Not bad for not being sponsored at all haha

XVzG623l.jpg

Hello could i ask you what kind of temps you get from a single 360. CPU and GPU in idle and in load please thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello could i ask you what kind of temps you get from a single 360. CPU and GPU in idle and in load please thanks!

Sure, 

Actually I have overclocked the CPU to 4,6 Ghz in a safe 1,25v and the temps are 33ºC in idle and 56 under prime, and the GPU stays at 30ºC in idle and 49ºC under load.

That is having the fans at 500rpm with 0 noise

Hope that helps