PSU ranking and tiers

Aniallation

Rebrands

Some PSUs are rebrands of another or based on very similar platforms. Between PSUs of the same platform you can expect very similar build quality, internal components, and electrical performance. Features and warranty may vary by brands, often with the rebranded version offering more features like modularity, hybrid fan mode, and/or software monitoring on top of the original PSU.

Seasonic Platinum

Corsair AX

Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P10 850

EVGA PS

Seasonic X

XFX XTR/ProSeries Gold 1050/1250

Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P10 1000/1200

XFX Pro Gold, Pro Black Edition

Seasonic G/S12G

Antec EDGE, TruePower Classic

Cooler Master V-series (fully modular)

EVGA GS

XFX TS Gold, Pro XXX, XTR

Seasonic S12II/M12II

Antec High Current Gamer, Neo ECO

XFX TS Bronze, ProSeries Bronze, Core

Super Flower Golden Green/King

EVGA B2

Rosewill Capstone, Lightning, Tachyon, Silent Night

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III

Super Flower Leadex

EVGA G2, P2, T2

FSP Raider

EVGA NEX Bronze

Fractal Integra

FSP Aurum Gold

EVGA NEX Gold "G1" 650/750

NZXT HALE90 V2

ThermalTake ToughPower Gold

FSP Aurum Pro

EVGA NEX 1000G

CWT

Honestly too confusing to have a list of. Basically their bronze models are similar, and gold models for the most part are similar, with the exception of the quite darn good HXi and RMi from Corsair. Note that the CX750 is a different platform then the rest of the CX. It is based on the GS platform.

To be continued

"Rawr XD"

Bookmarked, good guide lad ^_^

But wheres the love for the HX (non-i) series???

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Bookmarked, good guide lad ^_^

But wheres the love for the HX (non-i) series???

I think they're discontinued but the line regarding that is quite blurry... no official confirmation from Corsair but their site as well as resellers seem to be killing them off O.o

"Rawr XD"

I think they're discontinued but the line regarding that is quite blurry... no official confirmation from Corsair but their site as well as resellers seem to be killing them off O.o

WELL RATE IT

<3

But people could be buying off of eBay looking for a good deal, so even if the PSU is older, its still good to add older ones to see if theyre getting a good PSU for whatever they may be paying for one.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

You don't have Cougar on the list. 

They don't make anything special but I'll see what I can dig up. Thanks

"Rawr XD"

snip

Lol I have a thermaltake TR2, What is so bad about them ? It's nice I like it

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

WELL RATE IT

<3

To be brutally honest with you it's not as great as I expected when looking it up

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/HX850_V2/1.html

Even the CS outperforms it in voltage regulation, but because of it's slightly better internal components and noticeably better ripple suppression I'll be nice and put it up there with the RM.

"Rawr XD"

Lol I have a thermaltake TR2, What is so bad about them ? It's nice I like it

Either it's made by FSP or HEC, neither of which made that good of TR2s

Voltage reguation is within nominal values but barely

Ripple suppression is pretty bad

Pretty high failure rate

For a personal debrief ask @thekeemo 

"Rawr XD"

I would name the outlier EVGAs by model name if it were me :) (the sh*t tier)

EDIT: Does it even have a name beyond "EVGA 400W Power Supply"?

I would also outline good OEMs and then explain something about "FSP and CWT are here and there"

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I would name the outlier EVGAs by model name if it were me :) (the sh*t tier)

EDIT: Does it even have a name beyond "EVGA 400W Power Supply"?

lol not that I know of, if it did I would have put it

I would also outline good OEMs and then explain something about "FSP and CWT are here and there"

coming soon :)

"Rawr XD"

are they in any order (aside from tiers) or are they more or less equally as good/bad if they're paired in the same tier

lol not that I know of, if it did I would have put it

coming soon :)

*Eagerly awaits*

You can use my list if ya want, though the PSUs in that list are just ones that won't blow up your system. Nothing about any being better than the other aside from mentions of Seasonic and Super Flower.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

are they in any order (aside from tiers) or are they more or less equally as good/bad if they're paired in the same tier

Well all the ones in the top tier are near-perfect meaning that voltage is solid, power delivery won't set your house on fire, they are probably modular, they are usually quiet - basically these features dwindle down bit-by-bit per tier.

Well all the ones in the top tier are near-perfect meaning that voltage is solid, power delivery won't set your house on fire, they are probably modular, they are usually quiet - basically these features dwindle down bit-by-bit per tier.

I got that much, but I meant is the hxi better then the V-series, or is it on par and the items in the tier are in no particular order.

I got that much, but I meant is the hxi better then the V-series, or is it on par and the items in the tier are in no particular order.

They're both pretty good but the V-series uses a good OEM so I would personally buy that over the Corsair.

Either it's made by FSP or HEC, neither of which made that good of TR2s

Voltage reguation is within nominal values but barely

Ripple suppression is pretty bad

Pretty high failure rate

For a personal debrief ask @thekeemo 

He got offline T~T I don't see what is wrong about them tho. It seems like a fine PSU to me

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

They're similar quality within one tier. The tiers are in order, the higher the tier (lower the number) the better.

HXi and V-Series (fully modular) are both solid units and while you won't really notice the difference between quality under regular usage I'd go for the V-Series because as stated above it's made by a more reputable OEM (Seasonic) compared to the HXi (CWT). The HXi gives you Corsair Link, though. 

Again this is comparing the fully-modular Seasonic-made V, not the semi-modular Enhance-made VSM.

"Rawr XD"

To be brutally honest with you it's not as great as I expected when looking it up

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/HX850_V2/1.html

Even the CS outperforms it in voltage regulation, but because of it's slightly better internal components and noticeably better ripple suppression I'll be nice and put it up there with the RM.

Im confused lol

40465ffd594a9d49092c9a05bd998739.png

I'd suggest setting the Smart SE to "meh" rather than dangerous or at least make another barely pass category since I've used it before and while the PSU itself was "fine" as in it worked and it was stable, it had coil whine so I replaced it. I also think the S12G from seasonic might not be absolute best but maybe that's just me getting a slightly noise fan (it makes a ticking noise whenever it feels like it, I am positive it's the fan, it spins down with PC going in sleep mode and spins up when booting - the noise I mean). I have tried pushing the center of the fan and while that seems to have gotten the lubricant unstuck or whatever, I am not 100% sure yet. Will give it a day or so at least. As for others I have experience with, you could add the CM Elite series 1 to the "meh" list. While it's not great quality, my old one is still going after 4 years of continuous use.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I'd suggest setting the Smart SE to "meh" rather than dangerous or at least make another barely pass category since I've used it before and while the PSU itself was "fine" as in it worked and it was stable, it had coil whine so I replaced it. I also think the S12G from seasonic might not be absolute best but maybe that's just me getting a slightly noise fan (it makes a ticking noise whenever it feels like it, I am positive it's the fan, it spins down with PC going in sleep mode and spins up when booting - the noise I mean). I have tried pushing the center of the fan and while that seems to have gotten the lubricant unstuck or whatever, I am not 100% sure yet. Will give it a day or so at least. As for others I have experience with, you could add the CM Elite series 1 to the "meh" list. While it's not great quality, my old one is still going after 4 years of continuous use.

This is based on internal component quality like capacitors and line filtering more then it is the fan, because that's not really something that determines actual PSU quality. Neither does coil whine, even the top-of-the-life AXi has had it's fair share of coil whine issues. 

But I definitely will take a look into the Smart SE and Elite 1, thanks.

"Rawr XD"

This is based on internal component quality like capacitors and line filtering more then it is the fan, because that's not really something that determines actual PSU quality. Neither does coil whine, even the top-of-the-life AXi has had it's fair share of coil whine issues. 

But I definitely will take a look into the Smart SE and Elite 1, thanks.

Okay, will keep in mind :)

I also forgot to mention, a friend of mine has a Terminal Power 350W PSU. It's a very no-name one but has been running for close to 7 years now without any real issues. That I guess does fit the "meh" description but considering it's old, might not be made anymore.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6