STRMfrmXMN's PSU Whitelist (No longer updated)

Ok then. If there won't be big changes in the PSU game I'll get this one. Thanks for your help!

AMD FX-6100 @4.2GHz / Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 8GB / Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 / Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz 8GB / Adata S510 128GB / Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB / Alpenföhn Brocken ECO /  EVGA GQ 650 / Fractal Design Core 2500 / Fractal Design Venturi HF Fans / 

"It's like a fish with no internet" -Linus Sebastian, 2016

OMG, on Newegg this thing is (converted from $ to €) 65€ :o. Thats 25€ less than in Germany:$

AMD FX-6100 @4.2GHz / Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 8GB / Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 / Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz 8GB / Adata S510 128GB / Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB / Alpenföhn Brocken ECO /  EVGA GQ 650 / Fractal Design Core 2500 / Fractal Design Venturi HF Fans / 

"It's like a fish with no internet" -Linus Sebastian, 2016

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Do you take c7 state into account?

A bit vague here. Do you mean if I check for Haswell compatibility for each PSU? I mean no, not personally. Most PSUs can handle a low amount of power on the 3.3 and 5V rails so they're Haswell compatible.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

10 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A bit vague here. Do you mean if I check for Haswell compatibility for each PSU? I mean no, not personally. Most PSUs can handle a low amount of power on the 3.3 and 5V rails so they're Haswell compatible.

You could think about checking all the psu's on your list. Many psu's listed in pcparticker do not support c7 state, yet this forum advices intel processors 90% of the time that can use c7 state functionality. There are many well known brands and psu's that actually do not support c7 state. Imho a intelrig without a c7 state psu in 2016 is a bit foolish. It also opens up a tiny window for amd-rigs to differentiate with on psu-level.

4 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

You could think about checking all the psu's on your list. Many psu's listed in pcparticker do not support c7 state, yet this forum advices intel processors 90% of the time that can use c7 state functionality. There are many well known brands and psu's that actually do not support c7 state. Imho a intelrig without a c7 state psu in 2016 is a bit foolish. It also opens up a tiny window for amd-rigs to differentiate with on psu-level.

Well why not just use the C5 sleep state or whatever then? It'll save you pennies on your power bill...

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well why not just use the C5 sleep state or whatever then? It'll save you pennies on your power bill...

Haswell’s C6/C7 states requires a minimum load of 0.05 amps on the 12V2 line. Power supplies that are older or budget models simply aren’t capable of delivering such a small amount of juice. As a result, users with incompatible power supplies may experience stability problems or worse, the system may shut down completely if the PSU’s under- or over-voltage protection kicks in. Yes, you can shut off c6/c7 state in bios, but then you need to know that (most will not know or understand). When you are buying a new rig with a new psu, you could atleast address this issue by being sure that your list does not advice psu's that can not handle c6/c7 state (as >90% of pcpartpicker rigs have intel processors in them). That is why i made my remark, i did not want to step on your dick or somtin (if i touched it i am truly sorry ofcourse).

Good luck with your list.

2 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Haswell’s C6/C7 states requires a minimum load of 0.05 amps on the 12V2 line. Power supplies that are older or budget models simply aren’t capable of delivering such a small amount of juice. As a result, users with incompatible power supplies may experience stability problems or worse, the system may shut down completely if the PSU’s under- or over-voltage protection kicks in. Yes, you can shut off c6/c7 state in bios, but then you need to know that (most will not know or understand). When you are buying a new rig with a new psu, you could atleast address this issue by being sure that your list does not advice psu's that can not handle c6/c7 state (as >90% of pcpartpicker rigs have intel processors in them). That is why i made my remark, i did not want to step on your dick or somtin (if i touched it i am truly sorry ofcourse).

Good luck with your list.

I gotcha, and no, I'm not offended. Some people were born with this gene that allows them to be offended by facts and stuff. I'm not.

I get what you're saying with all of this although adding Haswell compatiblity checks to everything is nearly pointless as most manufacturers get a free pass on Haswell compatibility (to label as a "check" on the packaging) and never go through proper testing for it as what covers Haswell compatiblity is rather broad and vague. The Bitfenix Fury is labeled as being Haswell compatible but isn't (I did point that out in there awhile back). It's rather time consuming to check every manufacturer's description of each PSU when they could just be lying and not really even know it.

A Haswell incompatibility PSU list wouldn't be a bad idea though.

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 B 80+ BRONZE, 750W Semi Modular 

is this a good PSU ?

13 hours ago, eddy22m said:

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 B 80+ BRONZE, 750W Semi Modular 

is this a good PSU ?

Not when the EVGA B2 is the same amount of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a similar list for recommended PSU? i want to replace my Silver power SP-5650M (rated to 650w) with something as silent as humanly possible. And modular.. Been living with the thing for 5 years or so? and now im suddenly going crazy.. I think i became affected by Linus and his focus on noise level after i started binge watching LTT and NCXI? videos on YT..

It would be preferable if the suction side is on the bottom or inside the cabinet, as the "dust filter on the Corsair 600T" is in the bottom side. so.. now it just traps the dust...

37 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

Is there a similar list for recommended PSU? i want to replace my Silver power SP-5650M (rated to 650w) with something as silent as humanly possible. And modular.. Been living with the thing for 5 years or so? and now im suddenly going crazy.. I think i became affected by Linus and his focus on noise level after i started binge watching LTT and NCXI? videos on YT..

It would be preferable if the suction side is on the bottom or inside the cabinet, as the "dust filter on the Corsair 600T" is in the bottom side. so.. now it just traps the dust...

I'm a bit confused. This is a list of recommended PSUs...

Anyways, the EVGA GQ/GS or Corsair RMx/RMi sound like your best bet.

39 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

Is there a similar list for recommended PSU?

I believe that's what this list is.

If you mean the best PSU specific to your needs, post your query in the 'Cases and Power Supplies' subforum along with your computer specs. Someone will probably come along and help you out.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'm a bit confused. This is a list of recommended PSUs...

Anyways, the EVGA GQ/GS or Corsair RMx/RMi sound like your best bet.

oh.. my bad. Having a look at your suggestions now. And the HXi..

I guess a RMx would be enough as the link thingy is not needed/probably won't be used and it is still leaps ahead of what i have. A review also stated the components to be upgraded to the HXi in some areas. so i have basically bought it allready... RM750x.. Thank you. that was all i needed. :)

• 2 weeks later...

no FSP? they are very common here in SE asia

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

That's because they make so many freaking PSUs and I can't be bothered to find the time to look through every unit they make to write up a "good" list of them.

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

This list is more of a cheat-sheet, and even with @STRMfrmXMN's educated references, you're still better off reviewing individual models even if they're whitelisted.

An example of this is the Hydrance by SeaSonic/XFX XT power supplies that are now the exception to the 'SafeSonic' or 'Anything XFX rule'- the former of which I created a thread about a month or two ago, and the latter of which has the same terrible SKU.

13 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

This list is more of a cheat-sheet, and even with @STRMfrmXMN's educated references, you're still better off reviewing individual models even if they're whitelisted.

An example of this is the Hydrance by SeaSonic/XFX XT power supplies that are now the exception to the 'SafeSonic' or 'Anything XFX rule'- the former of which I created a thread about a month or two ago, and the latter of which has the same terrible SKU.

Oh yeah, gotta add that in there now. Sad :/

5 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Oh yeah, gotta add that in there now. Sad :/

I'm not particularly fond of the 'Irredeemable once tarnished' philosophy, but it makes it harder to just recommend a brand and know that everything they make is perfectly safe. I suppose even titans cut corners to slash prices.

Just a question i would like to ask. In the UK I buy from a store called novatech and they re-brand some products for example the OCZ Mod-Xtreme. However I came across this PSU and have no idea if it is any good or not as there are no reviews at all, or if there are any better PSU's for the same or less price.

Link:http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/451wto650w/nov-600gld.html

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

3 hours ago, Mattboxer2000 said:

Just a question i would like to ask. In the UK I buy from a store called novatech and they re-brand some products for example the OCZ Mod-Xtreme. However I came across this PSU and have no idea if it is any good or not as there are no reviews at all, or if there are any better PSU's for the same or less price.

Link:http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/451wto650w/nov-600gld.html

I can't find information on it literally anywhere. I'd skip it for now.

3 hours ago, DEcobra11 said:

Just a side note. (sorry for necro :P)

It's not old, still selling, still being sold as 80+ Silver and still blowing PCs

Here, select tacens and 80+ silver

Reveal hidden contents

RraaL6f.png

Here is being sold because "reviewers" recommend them and I'll make you a summary: they show the box, the outside of the PSU and +12V, +5V and +3,3V values (by this I mean, for example "oh, this PSU outputs 11,8V, nah, it's OK, still less than 3%"). Imagine the chart if they even took a single ripple test...

It'd be fun to test if it even has OVP...

So TLDR I probably won't be recommending an Silver rated units anytime soon :P

14 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I can't find information on it literally anywhere. I'd skip it for now.

Do you know any PSU's that are pretty good that would fit my price range (£50~). The only thing is that the UK does not have a very good selection of PSU's unless you want to pay upwards of £70 ~ $100 on one.

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |