Windows 7 vs Windows 8/(8.1) for GAMING

HemilTV

Windows 7 vs Windows 8/(8.1) for GAMING? can anyone let me know if there is a difference between the three in terms of gaming performance, proof would be greatly appreciated. I feel as though I should get Windows 8 as it will have future support and there is a mod for the start menu which can be seen here: 

Once again Thank you LTT forums :)

corsair carbide 300r with corsair quiet af120 fans | i5 4670k OC Genie'd @ 4GHz coolermaster hyper 212 evo w corsair sp120 quiet fanasus gtx 670 2gb direct cu2 edition |

msi z87 gd65 gaming mobo | Corsair AX 760 | 128gb samsung 840 pro ssd Western Digital Caviar BLACK 1TB

Peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Logitech M705 | Razer Arctosa | Sennheiser HD 598 | Turtle Beach P11s round my neck (used as a mic)| Steelseries QCK Heavy | BenQ XL2430T

Windows 8 just performs better: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-4.html

It will probably get more optimized with time and be even better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Linus tested Windows 7 vs 8 Gaming performance and windows 8 performs better in games. Windows 8 will probably get optimized with software and applications in the future as this OS becomes more common.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Windows 8 performance is better. Also, it is the current OS so it will only get better...

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I could not use my mouse (Func MS-3) with my souncard (Asus Xonar D2X) because of some weird driver issues. Even considering the slight performance increase in Win8, I still use WIndows7 because its just the more mature, better functioning platform

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Gaming performance in 8 is better.

Start Screen is good, only if you know how to use it, which the video you posted moronically doesn't.

Windows 8.1 which will be free for Windows 8 users, has a long list of improvements throughout the OS, plus new features.

For the Start Screen improvement in Windows 8.1: it takes Windows 8 which was a bit too tablet optimized, and creates a better balance for PC's. This is clearly something that Microsoft will continue to work on and polish with every version of Windows, to create this perfect balance between different types of devices where Windows run.

I tried those Start Menu replacement and pretty much all are crap. Especially the free ones. While they work, they simply don't have any close to the polish of Windows 7 start menu, and doesn't fit in Windows 8 at all.

You are better off learning the Start Screen. Once you learn how to use it, you'll be comfortable with it, you'll never look back, especially in Windows 8.1

If you want to see my start screen (old picture, but the idea is there):

dss.png

As you can see from the above, I have my pinned folders.. I can pin any folders I want for easy access to them, something you simply could not do with Windows 7 Start Menu. And everything is organized for the most used item at the bottom left corner to the least used to the far right. As for my applications, the reason why they are on the far right, is because the most used ones are already pinned on the Task Bar, so why have both?

Another cool thing is the ability to pin your games all in 1 place. While the screen shot above shows few games (that's because it was taken while I was installing my games), in 1 click, you get to start your game. No need to Open Steam, and Origin, And Uplay, and try an figure out where your darn game you want to play is in which service, and even if you know, you need to pass through multiple clicks to access them.

If you are more gamer oriented, you can drop my News section and Productivity section and now you'll have your games closer to the rest, and more room without scrolling.

Basically, my layout follows Microsoft guidelines:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

It might seam bizarre a bit now, but once you are used to it, you won't enjoy the Start Menu anymore, as things wont' be quick access anymore.

windows 8 will have better average frames right now, but as newer games get more multi core support windows 8 will perform better with i7 and FX 8core CPUs with an i5 you wont see much of a difference

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Windows 8 gets small advantages in gaming in average as well as minimum fps. Also direct x 11.1 support (which is a very very very small factor).

Windows 8 is still annoying with start8/startisback. Even if you do get a boost in performance, I'll be swapping back very soon. 8.1 better just straight up fix everything wrong with 8 or I will be sticking with 7 for a while longer

Same here

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Windows 8 gets small advantages in gaming in average as well as minimum fps. Also direct x 11.1 support (which is a very very very small factor).

Windows 8 is still annoying with start8/startisback. Even if you do get a boost in performance, I'll be swapping back very soon. 8.1 better just straight up fix everything wrong with 8 or I will be sticking with 7 for a while longer

Directx 11.1s unified memory feature is arguably a very very very big factor so not so true :p

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball