New Build : 4770K & GTX 780 inside - Code name : Expensive

Pringle
Welcome to my most recent PC build thread.

I'm going to start with a parts list. 

Case : Corsair C70 Black

Board : Asus Z87 Sabertooth 

RAM : Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB

CPU : Intel i7-4770K

Cooler : Corsair H100i Water Cooler

Graphics : EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC Edition

Power : Corsair HX650

Storage : 1x Samsung SSD 256GB & 1x WD Red HDD 2TB

Monitors : 2x Asus VX238

Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Mouse : Razer Taipan

==========================================

Purchased So Far!?

Build is complete!

Reasons? 

Well, there are several reasons as to why I would take on this build.

First, it's just that time. My last PC build was over 3 years ago, and while it may be still running it is becoming sluggish. 

Second, I do not want to have to do this again in 3 years. Most if not all of these components were chosen based on their ability to hold their place at the higher end of the market for years to come. Yes, there will always be new products coming out to top it. If you're always waiting, you're never building. 

Third, this kind of goes back onto the second reason, but I wanted to take on a build so far out of my comfort zone it was bizarre. The computer builds that I've had my hand in, in the past were on a middle ground of the spectrum and mostly AMD sourced parts. 

I wanted to steer clear of that this time around. If for no other reason then to find out what the parts are like. Do they feel any different on a day to day basis over AMD? Does Intel offer better performance for end user on similar clock speeds? Does GeForce offer better frame rates? 

Okay. Obviously that last one will be a significant change due to the 780 going into this build.. But whatever. 

Also, my family has always been an HDD family. Growing up, my father always used HDD's. In retrospect it was probably due to the lacking in capacity and outrageous price points. Moving on into my teen years when my older brother was helping me put together random builds, we always used HDD's. So I've never really been exposed to an SSD's speed and capabilities. Might as well give them a shot. 

So to break it down per component...

Case : Corsair C70 Black

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to attempt a similar build to what was originally in mind with the 600T. Going to try to make the case appear official Classified document holder of some sort. Should be fun. 

Board : Asus Z87 Sabertooth 

Mostly because of its aesthetics of the case once all of the covers have been installed. Plays into the overall theme of the PC very well. Also, it doesn't hurt that it has all of the same hyper threading support as the higher end 1150 chip boards. 

RAM : Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB

Again, mostly aesthetics on this one as well. I was taught at a younger age that you should go with whatever matches the build and has the capacity you're after and be done. So I've stuck with that philosophy. Be it right or wrong, that's what we're going with. 

CPU : Intel i7-4770K

I chose the 4770K over the 3770K and similar chips for mostly one reason. As far as I can tell it's at the top of the line. I'm not going for a crazy "OC" or Over Clocked build. I just want a PC that will last more than 3 years before being completely outdated and tossed to the side. 

Cooler : Corsair H100i Water Cooler

Corsair actually makes a fantastic pre-assembled water cooling loop. I'm currently using their H80i on my 3 year old build as a way to bring innovative new technologies into my old build. As well as the obvious temperature decrease. I went with the H100i on this build because I want to make sure that with the slight over clock that will be on the chip, we have enough cooling to not do any damage in day to day use. Corsair also includes Corsair Link which is a great way to monitor your temperatures on not only your CPU, but graphics cards as well. So that's always nice. 

Graphics : GeForce GTX 780 (Variant unknown)

I tossed around the idea of running multiple GTX cards in SLI for several months before finally deciding on a single card for a few reasons. First, I feel like with running a single 780 that I will get better frame rates during my somewhat simple and not hardcore gaming sprees. Maybe not over 2x760 in SLI or 2x660Ti in SLI, but that's what brings me to my next point. I can always add in another 780 later and bring my performance up that much higher, far more than you could expect from the aforementioned cards. 

Power : Corsair HX650

This was a difficult call as I do not know much in the way of power supplies. I buy them, plug them in, hide the wires and the PC turns on. This time I wanted to go a different route, so I started doing some research. I came to decide on 650 as it will be more than enough to run single GTX 780 for the time being, and it's mostly modular. Which means that the case interior can be made to look super sleek and stream lined with cable management. 

Storage : 1x Samsung SSD 256GB & 1x WD Red HDD 2TB

So, stay tuned to see what's to come. This should be a fun build. 

Pictures will be posted below, and as the parts come in. 

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment and criticize this build. 

-Jared

Lucky but I have to admit I get so bored of seeing ASUS and Corsair 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

They are a bit over done. I'm using them for their functionality and aesthetics. 

Theres a 680Ti? 

I believe I have misspoke. Lol. Working on 24 hours awake on 4 hours of sleep. I'm almost to the point of just going through the motions. I'll fix it.. 

Theres a 680Ti? 

What?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What?

He said he was thinking about 2x680Ti in SLI. pretty sure he meant 660Ti lol

He said he was thinking about 2x680Ti in SLI. pretty sure he meant 660Ti lol

Possibly. I was considering tons of cards. 

Possibly. I was considering tons of cards. 

Just get a 780. I bought 4, 2 for my rig and 2 for my brothers, They are beast.

That's what I'm counting on, and that is the route I'm going. Although, I'm only using single card dual monitor setup. 

That's what I'm counting on, and that is the route I'm going. Although, I'm only using single card dual monitor setup. 

What are the resolutions of the monitors?

Only thing I would recommend for you is to get a larger WD green, seagate barricade type of drive. A caviar black is waste of money for what your using it for. Its there top of the line consumer HDD and meant to be used for OSs and such. Just something I thought i would bring up.

What are the resolutions of the monitors?

Monitors are in the works. Looking for a larger display than my current 2x20" setup. Possibly 24" or 27". 

Only thing I would recommend for you is to get a larger WD green, seagate barricade type of drive. A caviar black is waste of money for what your using it for. Its there top of the line consumer HDD and meant to be used for OSs and such. Just something I thought i would bring up.

I will have to look into that as well. 

Have you already ordered the SSD's?

I have not.

And to be perfectly honest. I found a build similar to this one will look just tonight. I have started to rethink my case options.

Not sure.

Monitors are in the works. Looking for a larger display than my current 2x20" setup. Possibly 24" or 27". 

Screen size isn't resolution. Are you looking for 1080p monitors? 2.5k?4k?

i just got Samsung 840 250gb ssd from amazon for $184 usd.

it was a good deal (i think) . I'm really enjoying it. I would suggest getting that but if you want raid 0 then get the 128gb 840s. You should be able to find a good deal.

Also great selection of parts. 

I built a lga2011 build about an year ago and wanted to get the 600T white, Its such a beautiful case. But it did not have an internal USB 3.0 front header, only a pass through that should be routed to the back of the mobo. So i didnt get it. I got the antec 1100 instead cause it got everything right. But man i wanted the 600T, its beautiful.

Hope to see a good build and enjoy building it.  :D

CPU: i7 3820 4.0GHz  CPU Cooler: Corsair H80  RAM: 16GB 1600MHz  MotherBoard: ASUS Sabertooth x79  GPU: EVGA 780 ti  PSU: Cougar GX1050 80plus gold  CASE: Antec 1100

Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeH6RheyXBWjRGRcF0ZTilA

We need more quality PCs made with nameless parts!

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

good looking build so far. like it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'd suggest not putting the SSDs into RAID and look at the Samsung EVO drives. Maybe you could get a 512gb if your budget allows for it

I've considered it. I heard somewhere that running 2 decent SSD's would combine performance in RAID 0 vs running one larger capacity. I'm not sure tho. Maybe someone can shed some light on that topic. 

Small update. Decided not to go with this case based on this build. - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/DOx

I think I've found a new case to use. A few ideas. Will update once I have made a decision. 

can I be your brother too?

Still waiting on those pics :P

I had a few posted, decided to take them down since I changed my mind on the case pictured. I'll upload new pictures in the next few days when I pick up the new case. 

• 2 weeks later...
Updated OP. Build is up and running.. Pictures coming soon. 

I really wish I would have taken more pictures, but I got carried away in the excitement of putting it together. :( Basically it's a pile of parts, then a computer. XD No in between.