Joining the Military [USA]

Hi guys,

I believe we have a few soldiers here, and if not that, people who know the answers to my questions. I will be brief, or try to be I mean:

Question 1) What are the requirements to join the army as a female with a GED (no college credits)? Like what do I need to bring or have beyond the GED, ID and birth certificate?

Question 2) What health issues will get you rejected beyond the most obvious? Will having a disorder like dyslexia get you rejected?

Question 3) What is MOS, MEPS, ASVAB, AFQT, and TAPAS? What is a tier II applicant?

Question 4) what should be some things I should ask the recruiter? What are some things I should read to help me learn more?

Question 5) people say to know what you want out of the military; what does this mean exactly?

Question 6) what should I expect at the physical examination? To do and or provide for them? Will being 4’11 be an automatic disqualification?
*more questions may arise with answers.

I am seriously considering joining the military for various reasons. I am very sick of staying in one place. I want to see other countries, I want to help people, I want to go to college to make something out of myself (I want to be a qualified Linguist!) and I want to serve my country like my father, grandfathers, brothers and uncles have. I have been watching a lot of Army videos and it has been increasing my desire to join with each video, especially when I saw the video on Linguists and their roles in the military.

If anyone with far more knowledge of this can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

*the reason I ask here and not a recruitment office is because I don't live anywhere close to one. The closest one is like four hours away and I think knowing before I go may improve my chances! :)

mod edit, alpenwasser
Guys, this thread is about OP's question, not about whether or not the US military is a global
murder racket, please keep things on point. Thanks. :)

Edited by Albatross
Title change as well as main edits

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Seriously, if you aren't bad at taking tests, and if you are moderately intelligent; join the Air force. I'll answer your questions in an edit.

Question 1) What are the requirements to join the army as a female with a GED (no college credits)? Like what do I need to bring or have beyond the GED, ID and birth certificate?

There are no requirements other than a GED. College credits, depending on how many can get you an extra pay grade.

Question 2) What health issues will get you rejected beyond the most obvious? Will having a disorder like dyslexia get you rejected?

Anything mental health related (I can elaborate on specifics, but I know I'm making a blanket statement), like ever being instituted to a mental health clinic. Any major surgeries (not sure on the specifics, but I know some are subject to disqualification)

As for dyslexia, Yes, but if you just 'happen' to realize 'after' you join; it wouldn't matter because you got diagnosed after the fact, so it isn't disqualification/dischargeable. 

Question 3) What is MOS, MEPS, ASVAB, AFQT, and TAPAS? What is a tier II applicant?

A simple google search can answer those questions for you. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=MOS%2C+MEPS%2C+ASVAB%2C+AFQT%2C+and+TAPAS&oq=MOS%2C+MEPS%2C+ASVAB%2C+AFQT%2C+and+TAPAS&aqs=chrome..69i57.343j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Once you have looked them up I can answer questions about specifics. 

Question 4) what should be some things I should ask the recruiter? What are some things I should read to help me learn more?

-Depending on the job you want, I would ask what is the frequency of getting the specific job you want. 

-Ask how long is the average wait time when in the DEP (delayed entry program) for the job you want.

-What are the height to weight requirements for you. (this can be subject for disqualification)

Ask me as if I was the recruiter, I know a hefty amount, but I don't know everything, since I'm no recruiter, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Question 5) people say to know what you want out of the military; what does this mean exactly?

What they mean when they say, "Know what you want out of the military" is what you want to accomplish whilst in the military during your 4-6 year enlistment. This can be from, getting your college associates, to having a stable paying job, to exploring the world. It is dependent on what you want from the military, and what you are willing to put forth to get it. 

Question 6) what should I expect at the physical examination? To do and or provide for them? Will being 4’11 be an automatic disqualification?

No 4' 8" is the cut off height for all of the military, except for special jobs, like a pilot.

My Edit: I took up a lot of space with big text because she said she was dyslexic. 

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

Hi guys,

I believe we have a few soldiers here, and if not that, people who know the answers to my questions. I will be brief, or try to be I mean:

I am seriously considering joining the military for various reasons. I am very sick of staying in one place. I want to see other countries, I want to help people, I want to go to college to make something out of myself (I want to be a qualified Linguist!) and I want to serve my country like my father, grandfathers, brothers and uncles have. I have been watching a lot of Army videos and it has been increasing my desire to join with each video, especially when I saw the video on Linguists and their roles in the military.

If anyone with far more knowledge of this can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

*the reason I ask here and not a recruitment office is because I don't live anywhere close to one. The closest one is like four hours away and I think knowing before I go may improve my chances! :)

This might help http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/join-the-military-basic-eligibility.html and http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/disqualifiers-medical-conditions.html?comp=7000023452387&rank=3.

Edit: Here are some height requirements: http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/army-weight-rules.html

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

@thekeemo

What are you talking about?

@Realist Peter Pan

Mention me whenever you have finished with your answers and I will read through them/etc etc. (I will check back either way to see edits of course haha)

And thank you! :)

@MaximusX

I just passed the required height then...by an inch. I really am short. Thank you for the links! I'm digging through them now, especially the medical one. So much is there I fear I may have something on the list that will reject me. haha

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I don't know when you plan to join, but I'm gonna go ahead and thank you for your service in advance :) 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

@thekeemo

What are you talking about?

@Realist Peter Pan

Mention me whenever you have finished with your answers and I will read through them/etc etc. (I will check back either way to see edits of course haha)

And thank you! :)

@MaximusX

I just passed the required height then...by an inch. I really am short. Thank you for the links! I'm digging through them now, especially the medical one. So much is there I fear I may have something on the list that will reject me. haha

I have finished as per the questions asked. I also emphasized 'happen', and 'after' for a reason. You can message me if you have more specific questions you don't want in a public forum. 

I don't know when you plan to join, but I'm gonna go ahead and thank you for your service in advance :)

Still find this perplexing :P it only happens in America I suppose....

(as in, in Other countries it's a job, you don't get thanked there, it's just another occupation)

(as in, in Other countries it's a job, you don't get thanked there, it's just another occupation)

It's exclusive in some sense for the US.

Well if I can get accepted, I plan on joining as quickly as I can.

Because they sacrifice themselves to secure our freedom and safety, so that I and any other American can enjoy the life the country has to offer. So to us it isn't another "job". :)

Still find this perplexing [emoji14] it only happens in America I suppose....

Don't see why one wouldn't be thankful to another for potentially putting their lives on the line for their country.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

These men and women lay their lives down so I can still wake up and enjoy life every day. I have great respect for that. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

I have finished as per the questions asked. I also emphasized 'happen', and 'after' for a reason. You can message me if you have more specific questions you don't want in a public forum. 

Sweet! I'm reading over it now, and thank you for the offer as well! :)

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Hello, I was thinking about joining a while ago. I have some questions for you. Are you going active duty, reserves or the national guard?

1. Each branch of the Service has different requirements. Minimum entrance-age requirements are 17 with parental consent or 18 without parental consent. Because of the varying physical demands on service members in each branch, physical requirements vary greatly. These differences can vary even within each branch of the Service. Generally speaking, potential service members should be in good physical condition, of appropriate weight and able to pass a standard physical screening prior to entry. For more specific information, please contact a recruiter. Educational Requirements

Success in any branch of the Military depends on a good education, and a high school diploma is most desirable. Candidates with a GED (General Education Development certificate) can enlist, but some Services may limit opportunities. It is very difficult to be considered a serious candidate without either a high school diploma or accepted alternative credential. In any case, staying in school is important for entering the Military.

Citizenship Requirements

U.S. citizens or Permanent Resident Aliens (people who have an INS I-151/I-551 "Green Card") may join the U.S. Military. For more information about citizenship, visit the U.S. Immigration and Nationalization (INS) website.

Properly documented non-citizens may enlist. However, opportunities may be limited. Contact a recruiter for more advice on a specific situation.

For enlistment purposes, the United States includes Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands and Palau.

Are there special considerations for women enlisting in the Military?

On average, across the Services, more than 80 percent of all jobs in the Military are open to women. The percentage of women serving on active duty in the Military has more than doubled since 1978. Clearly, women play a very important role in today's Military. Each Service has physical requirements specific to female enlistees.

2. Can certain health problems prevent a candidate from serving?

As part of the entrance process for any service, prior to boot camp, new recruits will receive a physical exam. During that exam, they will be asked about their overall health. A recruit's input and the result of the exam will determine his or her ability to meet the health and physical fitness standards for military service. Because of the very particular and personal nature of this discussion, contact a recruiter for more specific information.

3. Mos? A United States military occupation code, or a Military Occupational Specialty code (MOS code), is a code used in the United States Army and United States Marines to identify a specific job.

MEPS? YOUR VISIT TO MEPS. Military Entrance Processing Station is a Department of Defense joint-service organization staffed with military and civilian professionals. MEPS determines applicant's physical qualifications, aptitude and moral standards as set by each branch of military service.

ASVAB? If you're serious about joining the military, then get serious about the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). If you're serious about joining the military, then get serious about theArmed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)

The ASVAB is a timed multi-aptitude test, which is given at over 14,000 schools and Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS) nationwide and is developed and maintained by the Department of Defense.

Start now by taking our practice ASVAB tests. These tests will give you an idea of how you'll score, and identify areas that need improvement. Then use our suggested resources and ASVAB study guides to learn how to prepare for the ASVAB test.

How important is the ASVAB test?

Your scores in four critical areas -- Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension and Mathematics Knowledge (see below) -- count towards your Armed Forces Qualifying Test (AFQT) score. The AFQT score determines whether you're qualified to enlist in the U.S. military.

Your scores in the other areas of the ASVAB will determine how qualified you are for certain military occupational specialties and Enlistment Bonuses. A high score will improve your chances of getting the specialty/job and signing bonus you want.

Scoring high on the ASVAB will require study and concentration. Don't skimp on preparing for this test. It's your future. Get the most out of it.

AFQT? See above ^

TAPAS? The Tailored Adaptive Personality Assessment System, or TAPAS, is being administered at Military Entrance Processing Stations to some candidates. This "non-cognitive" screening can identify whether the values and characteristics of potential recruits are compatible with the values of the Army. Over the past year, TAPAS has been used to "screen out" some candidates who might not have strong personal characteristics, but Batschelet said it could also be used to "screen in" candidates who are adaptive, resilient and have dedication, but perhaps scored only marginally on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, known as the ASVAB.

Tier II applicants?

Tier II includes GEDs, home study (in some states), Certificate of Attendance, Alternative/Continuation High School, Correspondence School Diplomas, and Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). The services limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year. The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT.

4. http://www.army.mil/faq/ and http://todaysmilitary.com/faq. https://armyhistory.org/army-history-center/?gclid=CMWA24KuycYCFc4WHwodjJUAOQ and I suggest you become an officer http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/become-an-officer.html

5. Know What You Are Committing To

Joining the military is a big commitment - by both you and the military. This commitment is not to be taken lightly. Most first-term enlistments require a commitment to four years active and two years inactive (IRR). But the services also offer programs with two-, three- and six-year active duty or reserve enlistments. It depends upon the service and the job that you want.

1. Get it in writing. Upon enlisting you sign an enlistment contract. This contract determines your initial commitment, bonuses, job training guarantees and other incentives; make sure it's right.

2. Training commitments. The military offers a variety of advanced training programs. Some of these programs require additional service commitments. Some commitments run simultaneously with existing with commitments; some require additional active duty time.

3. Permanent Change of Station commitments. You will move in the military. It's part of military life. Moving a servicemember costs the government money. If you have served more than two years, a PCS move may require you to accept an additional service obligation.  This can usually be done through an extension to your current enlistment.

4. Re-enlistment. You will have plenty of opportunities to extend your stay in the military. Services offer an additional bonus to people who re-enlist with high-demand skills. The re-enlistment commitment will also vary with the size of the bonus.

5. Officer commitments. Like all other commitments, they vary. A standard commitment for service academy graduates who do not receive rated follow-on training is five years. Graduates who accept pilot training are committed to active duty for nine years. ROTC also generally requires a five-year payback while other active-duty commissioning programs usually require a minimum of three years.

6. Getting out of your commitment. Getting out of a contract is difficult. The amount of difficulty varies with the needs of the nation and the availability of talent in your chosen career field. Simply put - you should plan on fulfilling any commitment you make.

7. Commitment phobia. You can serve your country without making any full-time commitment and receive many of the same benefits. In the Reserves and National Guard, your obligation is generally one weekend a month, plus two weeks of active duty a year.

Bonus Tip. The one year trial plan. Both the Army Guard and Air National Guard offer the "Try-One" enlistment option to active duty veterans and all prior service individuals who are joining the Guard for the first time. This program lets you try the Guard for one year without additional commitment.

6. MEPS: Physical Exam(01:42)

Every individual who enlists in the Military must meet certain physical requirements. This is to make sure potential recruits can safely make it through Basic Training and meet the daily demands of service. Each applicant will meet with a physician for an exam, similar to a yearly checkup with a family doctor. It is important to disclose any prior health issues at this time: Remember, these won’t necessarily be grounds for disqualification, and answers are generally confidential. It’s essential to be honest because a false answer could result in health risks later.

Aside from the physical exam, applicants will undergo the following:

Height and weight measurements: Each Service has its own standards for height and weight, so it’s best to discuss this with your recruiter.

Hearing and vision examinations: Perfect hearing and vision are not required for enlistment, but may be required for certain career fields. A recruiter can explain prerequisites in detail.

Urine and blood tests: These include a test for HIV antibodies and a pregnancy test for female applicants, as well as drug and alcohol screening. Be honest with your recruiter and the MEPS physician about past substance use/abuse.

Muscle group and joint maneuvers: These simple flexibility and balance tests ensure you have proper ranges of motion.

Specialized tests, if required.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/army-weight-rules.html

You are fine at 4' 11".

Best of luck. Ask me any questions. My dad was in the Army for 20 years. Grandpa served in WW 2.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Don't see why one wouldn't be thankful to another for potentially putting their lives on the line for their country.

These men and women lay their lives down so I can still wake up and enjoy life every day. I have great respect for that.

Read the thread I linked. No such patriotism exists in other countries towards their military.

Wrong thread?

Nope, he is convinced that every single person in the US military is a murdering war criminal. 

He makes similar posts in every thread about the US military. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Nope, he is convinced that every single person in the US military is a murdering war criminal. 

He makes similar posts in every thread about the US military.

Wow.

I honestly don't want to read this whole thread, what do you want me to say?

Nothing lol. Just saying it still surprises me. Because that culture is not known to me.

Wow.

These people exist. Best to just ignore, and keep walking. 

Read the thread I linked. No such patriotism exists in other countries towards their military.

Ok? I find it sad that everyone else in the world has no respect for the men and women of their countries military. It's a big deal to me over here because of the blood that has been spilled to keep us from being invaded or some shit. Want an estimate? Around 1.1 million. That's a lot of people who have died to keep me safe. 

Nothing lol. Just saying it still surprises me. Because that culture is not known to me.

Yeah I remember reading a reddit thread about Germans, and military service during WW2. It was pretty interesting if you want to read it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3bnjve/serious_germans_of_reddit_in_what_ways_if_at_all/?ref=share&ref_source=link

Ok? I find it sad that everyone else in the world has no respect for the men and women of their countries military. It's a big deal to me over here because of the blood that has been spilled to keep us from being invaded or some shit. Want an estimate? Around 1.1 million. That's a lot of people who have died to keep me safe.

No, police keep you safe. Western countries have not been in wars that actually threatened their freedom lately.

Different cultural values when it comes to war/conflict. I mean what do you think the Swiss feel about it? They all have to serve so it is just normal for them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Switzerland . What about in the middle east? They could give less of a fuck if they die the next day (Generalization, but it is common place for terrorist activities, so it is normal for people living on a continent plagued with conflict)