What is a computer engineer ?

AlanAlan

What does a computer engineer do? How much school is required? Examples of what companies would hire you for?

Quite literally all the companies would be looking for people like this, and a bachelors degree is pretty much what is expected of a engineer (of any kind).

As far as what you'll do, you'll do what they tell you to do.  It depends on what the company that hires you wants out of you.  Generally, a "computer engineer" will be doing things like designing a OEM machine.  But that degree could be used to get into just about anything, like software design.  Companies like Microsoft will need someone that knows something about computer design just so they can help their software team make tweaks.  A big example of this, is power profiles.  A computer engineer will know quite a bit about general computer hardware and be capable to help with the software engineers in areas that they aren't as familiar with.

Now, you can be more specific and be a "Software Engineer" or a "Hardware Engineer".  And even push even further and become more special and be a Operating System emphasis, or a microprocessor emphasis.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Another key factor to consider is that only about 33% of college grads have a job in their career field after (I cant remember) 7 years.  So don't worry so much about that.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Following up on @JefferyD90 , I plan to go into computer engineering with either an integrated systems or microprocessor focus. In general, computer engineering is a very broad topic, just like pretty much any other type of engineering. It's less of an actual subject than a broad category.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

What are the salary for a computer engineer?

Starting out, ~$50k-80k per year.  After 5 years and moving up/around in a company a little ~$100k a year.

Spoiler

someone who goes to collage for 5 years to rack up a ton of debt...just to end up getting a job doing what we do on this forum....fix computers....

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

What are the salary for a computer engineer?

Here is the official US government statistics for computer engineers, I don't know what country you're from but this is for US only.

76,360 people in the US are currently working as computer engineers.

Average hourly rate: $52.13 an hour

Average yearly salary: $108,430 

Most common industry: Computer Systems Design

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172061.htm

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

someone who goes to collage for 5 years to rack up a ton of debt...just to end up getting a job doing what we do on this forum....fix computers....

i have my life all planned out

1. Go to UC Berkley

2. Get my Bachelors Degree

3. then become a certified computer engineer

4. then move to the bay or north california

5. then get a job

I had a friend in the 1980's who was a computer engineer working for McDonnell Douglas, and she was part of a team developing a new flight simulator for a prototype Fighter.

Quite literally all the companies would be looking for people like this, and a bachelors degree is pretty much what is expected of a engineer (of any kind).

As far as what you'll do, you'll do what they tell you to do.  It depends on what the company that hires you wants out of you.  Generally, a "computer engineer" will be doing things like designing a OEM machine.  But that degree could be used to get into just about anything, like software design.  Companies like Microsoft will need someone that knows something about computer design just so they can help their software team make tweaks.  A big example of this, is power profiles.  A computer engineer will know quite a bit about general computer hardware and be capable to help with the software engineers in areas that they aren't as familiar with.

Now, you can be more specific and be a "Software Engineer" or a "Hardware Engineer".  And even push even further and become more special and be a Operating System emphasis, or a microprocessor emphasis.

^basically this^

But depending on where you take it, some might offer more niche specializations... like how we have a brainwave interface project and a realtime natural language processing.project in our university...

While most people can go to college for 4 years and not get a job, I assure you if you graduate with a engineering or computer science degree and at least a 3.0/4.0 scale, you will find a job. As long as ur college is accredited and you actually try a little. Obtaining an internship will further lock down the odds of you obtaining a job.

I'm a student currently attending the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, if you attend or around there please don't hesitate to contact me!

Mudkip: CPU: i5-4670k; Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo; Memory: 16GBs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD5H; GPU: ASUS DCUII 770 2GB @ 1254MHz; HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB; PSU: CX750M; Case: ThermalTake A31 Chaser Thunder

What does a computer engineer do? How much school is required? Examples of what companies would hire you for?

Computer engineers design chips and circuit boards.

It involves a lot of programming, as everything is passed through simulators as production cost is really high. Although, this might not be true for simple circuits.

Nearly all tech related companies will hire you. This means

-> automation companies (companies that build the machine and computer system for the manufacturing machines)

-> Computer field companies such as: Nvidia, Intel, AMD, RealTek, Qualcomm, Apple, Microsoft... basically anyone who builds a processor, or work with circuitry.

You need a Undergraduate Degree from University. Like all engineering fields: it requires lots of math, and science class. Based on your school system, the options of classes might vary (if choice is given between programs), but you essentially need everything. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Calculus 1, 2, Linear Algebra, etc, even if the course is not directly related to your engineering field.

do you guys think a computer engineer is a stable job? 

yes because of high demand and bots can't take the job anytime soon

I pretty much guarentee you'll always have a job.  I do not think that you'll get the job you want though.  If you get a degree in semiconductor engineering (making processors) then you have a huge advantage over someone with a "Software Engineering" degree when applying for a job with Intel.  On the otherhand, someone with 10 years of expierence and (virtually) a batchlors in Art will have a huge advantage over you!  So my point is, it will be harder to get a job in your field if you get a more specialized degree.  I personally, wouldnt specialize too much in my batchlors degree program.  Get a Software or Hardware engineering batchlors, and once you get into a field of work and you have decided what you want, then you can get a masters or PhD in a more specific field.  (Just so you guys know, thats what Lisa Su did {CEO of AMD})

Spoiler

Unless you want to teach or be a researcher, don't do a Master degree is what Jeffery is saying.

In engineering, experience in the work field is the most importing thing. Not really specialization, especially in technology sector, where things constantly change, making your specialization worthless the moment you are done, or a couple of years after. You can get a masters degree after doing a few years of experience in the field.

For engineering field (all), for finding your first job, personnel projects is important.

Also, I want to make this clear, while it pays well, don't do it for the money, but rather genuine passion. Why? Else you won't survive university, let alone work field.

A computer that engineers.

i have my life all planned out

1. Go to UC Berkley

2. Get my Bachelors Degree

3. then become a certified computer engineer

4. then move to the bay or north california

5. then get a job

you know dude, i have a very similar plan to you think, i wanna go to a university called "mcmaster" university up here in Canada, then get my degree in computer science, become and engineer and move to San Francisco or mountain view California to work at google :D