Old-school gaming

Recently I managed to get my filthy, undeserving hands on Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 for PC.

I am currently having issues.

Audio, specifically cutscene, is advancing ahead of the associated animations, and making the whole thing look and feel disjointed.

Workarounds to this mentioned emulating Win95/98/XP in a 'virtual environment'.

I have no idea how to do this.

If anyone would know of another workaround, or be able to 'idiot-proof' the Win/95/98/XP solution, I would be very grateful.

DOSBox is one way to emulate DOS environment. Its not idiot proof but with documentation and tutorials you should get something out of it. The visualization means running another OS in Virtual Machine (VM) with dedicated software. It takes prosessing power from PC and requires working cdkey.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If I do run Virtual Machine, do I need the CD key? I want to run this in Win98/XP. I hear that I can run the OS in Virtual Machine for 30 days without the key. Can I just re-do the VM setup if I don't have a key?

I do have a key, but it's for Vista, and I don't think the games will be able to run on Vista.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

I clicked on the *.exe file for the game, and clicked 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'.

It detects 'WinXP, SP2' compatibility.

I try to run the program through that, and I get an error message about inserting a cd-rom.

Second question(s):

Can I use the downloaded files to make the cd-rom?

Is there anything special I should know before I start?

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

I clicked on the 'setup.exe' in the folder.

It installed to my PC.

It runs without the CD.

Back to my original issue: the audio in cut scenes, is slower than the video. looks like about a second of lag.

The audio issue is something you have to live with. It uses so old codec which isn't really supported anymore. I've had similiar issues with Settlers III cd version intro and later with Jazz Jackrabbit overall, even when running it with DOSBox.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv