Will underclocking a mobile GPU increase performance?

Well, the title might sound stupid, but given the fact that the only gaming pc i own is a laptop that i pretty much can't cool down any further than the original design allows me to, it's quite a theory for me right now; my GPU handles most of the games i tried on it pretty good, the ones i play the most are Skyrim and FIFA (not going to try GTA V or such in a long time), but still after few minutes it starts lagging and doing everything it shouldn't, performance decreases until it's hurtful to play, not only because of the bad graphics, but instead, 'cause it burns my fingers...

At this point i've accepted the fact that there's nothing i can do to cool the poor thing down other than using my handy cooling base since the design itself doesn't allow it to take the airflow it might need to stay cool, so the last resource that came to my mind is to underclock my GPU to a certain point where i can still get to play with nice FPS and detail, but not with such a great quality that demands a lot of horsepower to keep it running.

Does anybody know if this possible, and how to do it?

Thanks in advance...:D

My specs:

CPU: i5 2450m 2.50Ghz

GPU: HD Radeon 6750m 1Gb GDDR5

RAM: 8 Gb DDR3

Don't get mad, get even...

well  MSI Gigabyte and Asus use that grey hard thermal paste like apple. when it gets that bad the laptop can melt itself

Try replacing the tp with arctic silver 5 or something similar. Try cleaning out the vents. Try running the fans faster. I had a laTITude d630 (that old tit certainly had a 'tude) with an nvidia... something. Anway the freaking thing was constsntly thermally throttling even though I replaced the terrible thermal pad with a copper plate and thermal paste. I found a utility that allowed me to set the fan at full speed and that finally managed to keep temps at 80 degrees. No wonder the damn things suffered constant reflow/reball procedures...

I aint avin it!

If it doesn't drop the clock anymore and keeps it stable then it should, yes.

Then i'll give it a try, thanks.

well  MSI Gigabyte and Asus use that grey hard thermal paste like apple. when it gets that bad the laptop can melt itself

Mine is a Samsung, can it be that bad?

Try replacing the tp with arctic silver 5 or something similar. Try cleaning out the vents. Try running the fans faster. I had a laTITude d630 (that old tit certainly had a 'tude) with an nvidia... something. Anway the freaking thing was constsntly thermally throttling even though I replaced the terrible thermal pad with a copper plate and thermal paste. I found a utility that allowed me to set the fan at full speed and that finally managed to keep temps at 80 degrees. No wonder the damn things suffered constant reflow/reball procedures...

I aint avin it!

I'll certainly try this too, i'm kinda afraid of breaking something, but still, it may be worth the risk :D

(Sorry for the late response BTW)

Laptops can be sketchy at times, definitely try replacing the thermal paste if the problem still continues, try underclocking a bit.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Then i'll give it a try, thanks.

Mine is a Samsung, can it be that bad?

I'll certainly try this too, i'm kinda afraid of breaking something, but still, it may be worth the risk :D

(Sorry for the late response BTW)

there are samsung models that have bad cooling design, paired with clay :) :)

snip

You should take apart the laptop, re-apply thermal paste, and clean any dust and debris out of the fans.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Well, it worked, after playing Skyrim for like 3 1/2 hrs. my top temps got around 85°C for my CPU (it was normally 93°C) and a hot, still enjoyable 87°C for my GPU, i still have a lot of things to do with this, like reapplying thermal paste and cleaning the inside of my Laptop, but i'm quite happy with the current results, after all, there was some performance lost, and a bit of screen tearing from time to time, but still better than burning my fingers, BTW there wasn't any thermal throttling, just overall lower performance, which would be hard to notice to someone who didn't know how this machine worked before the underclocking. 

Thanks to all of you guys who commented on this thread, and feel free to post any suggestions you have or your own results if you happen to make the same experiment.

post-42167-0-40626500-1436637244_thumb.j