water damage 2x 980 ti reference cards

Go to solution Solved by Br3tt96,

It's not damaged hard and the pcb looks like it always has, do you think a dehydrator is a good idea?

No, just let nature dry it out. I wouldn't risk a $650 gpu just because I'm too anxious to wait.

Hi Ltt

so I've been trying to water cool my rig and long story short both of my reference 980 ti cards got some splashes of ek pastel cooling liquid on them (I know I'm a d%@ckhead)

When they were splashed the system was completely disconnected from power (had been for about 3 hours) and since they got wet they haven't been powered at all. I took them apart (down to bare pcb) and paper towel dried the drops (about 4 per card) and then used q tips on the smaller spaces that were wet. And that's where I am now.

I'd like some advice for my next move, there is still some orange puddle residue on the boards, how do I go about cleaning that? And since I work in an industrial kitchen I have access to a graphic card sized food dehydrator, is this a good way to dry them? ( it's an open box that blows air from 30 to 90 degrees C onto a shelf)

Help me Linus tech tips, you are my only hope

Use some isopropyl alcohol to get rid of the residue.

Then just let it dry for a day or so, it should be perfectly fine.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Use some isoproply alcohol to get rid of the residue.

Then just let it dry for a day or so, it should be perfectly fine.

isopropyl

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Give them more than a day to be safe 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

It's not damaged hard and the pcb looks like it always has, do you think a dehydrator is a good idea?

No, just let nature dry it out. I wouldn't risk a $650 gpu just because I'm too anxious to wait.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Hey guys, good news!!! After cleaning the cards and 5 nights of natural air drying, both cards work and my system is ready to rock and roll.

Thank you all for the help

I have driped coolance once over my harddrives, while the System was running.
And with dripped i mean it was quite a bit, not just 4 dripes.
It was aqua Computer Double Protect Ultra.

I just turned off the system and dried it with towles. (not waiting after that at all) 
The drives are running fine, without any problems.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-