Motherboard for custom build pc question.

So I am currently on a dilemma, I don´t have much knowledge when it comes to motherboards.

At the beginning for my pc build I choose the msi z97 gaming 5 motherboard, however I was wondering if there is any motherboard as good and cheaper for my needs.

No overclock as well.

My build:

- NZXT H440;
- MSI GTX 970;
- Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4gb 1866MHz;
- EVGA G2 650 Watts;
- Kingston 120GB SSD;
- WD Caviar Blue 1TB;
- i5-4690k;

And I was also thinking to buy 2x140mm fans for the top of the case but not a must.

If anyone can give some knowledge to a noob help is appreciated.

What do you need in a motherboard? The essential? Any extra features?

If your not overclocking you dont need the K cpu and can save a little by getting a cheaper one. 

<p>CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0 GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: 500GB | Case: Corsair SPEC-02 Red |PSU: Corsair 750W | OS: Windows 7 64-Bit | Mouse: Corsair M65 (Black) | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Black w/ Brown Switches)

Well just the basic on motherboard but yeah essential I guess and for now I don´t intend to overclock but like 5-6months after I might consider it.

Ahh, well Ausu motherboards have a bios that really help with overclocking but they are more expensive. 

<p>CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0 GHz | GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: 500GB | Case: Corsair SPEC-02 Red |PSU: Corsair 750W | OS: Windows 7 64-Bit | Mouse: Corsair M65 (Black) | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (Black w/ Brown Switches)

I agree with Darth.

I recommend the MSI H97 Gaming 3 (only support DDR3-1600Mhz) or do you need a cheaper mobo?

Hmm I think it should do, but is there any difference from the H97 to Z97?

H87 Gaming 3, just supports crossfire and DDR3-1600Mhz.

Brob are good too. That Asus Z97-E is great.

Might consider the Asus Z97-E than and the price seems to be good as well.

Well I would prefer to be 120euros maximum for the motherboard.
Also the asus z97- E although its quite cheap on usa went searching amazon uk and es and even some shops in portugal and ends same price as the msi z97 gaming 5 x_x

I mean for the whole build.

By the way were are you going to buy it?

I mean for the whole build.

By the way were are you going to buy it?

Ah for whole build around 1200euros including shipping, vat ,etc.

I had to change from Amazon UK to Amazon Spain and that alone saved me 250euros.

If you for any change buy anything from portugal, buy it from PCdiga they are awesome.

Good luck.

Well I would prefer to be 120euros maximum for the motherboard.

Also the asus z97- E although its quite cheap on usa went searching amazon uk and es and even some shops in portugal and ends same price as the msi z97 gaming 5 x_x

Check pricing on the Asus Z97 Pro Gamer.

I have been looking at Z97 motherboards that support SLI. If there is no need to allow for a second Nvidia gpu, then take a look at the pricing for ASUS Z97-P, Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3, Asus Z97-K, and MSI Z97X Gaming 3.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Check pricing on the Asus Z97 Pro Gamer.

I have been looking at Z97 motherboards that support SLI. If there is no need to allow for a second Nvidia gpu, then take a look at the pricing for ASUS Z97-P, Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3, Asus Z97-K, and MSI Z97X Gaming 3.

Yeah for me a dual gpu doesn´t have much use and only one gtx 970 is enough for 1080p gaming and rendering, also going for the gigabyte g1 gtx 970 instead of the msi gtx 970 changing that mostly because of the higher clock it got and the backplate since I dont want to overclock the graphic card more.

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 is around 103euros.

Asus Z97-P is around 96euros.

Asus Z97-K is around 116euros.

MSI Z97X Gaming 3 is around 128euros.

I am probably considering the Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 that you mentioned so I have two Gigabyte components and if something happens can always e-mail Gigabyte plus I end saving alot more money.

Have to change the RAM to 1600MHz although since it doesn´t support 1866MHz.

Yeah for me a dual gpu doesn´t have much use and only one gtx 970 is enough for 1080p gaming and rendering, also going for the gigabyte g1 gtx 970 instead of the msi gtx 970 changing that mostly because of the higher clock it got and the backplate since I dont want to overclock the graphic card more.

I am probably considering the Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 that you mentioned so I have two Gigabyte components and if something happens can always e-mail Gigabyte plus I end saving alot more money.

The Gigabyte board supports 1866MHz ram.

The Gigabyte board supports 1866MHz ram.

Hmmm on Amazon Spain it said only up to 1600MHz but when checking google and some foruns it shows it can go to higher.

Missleading Amazon =x

If the memory kit supports XMP (most do), there is no need to change the memory selection.

Hmmm on Amazon Spain it said only up to 1600MHz but when checking google and some foruns it shows it can go to higher.

Missleading Amazon =x

Technically anything over DDR3-1600 is overclocking.

Z97 motherboards support XMP memory profiles. Intel certifies memory XMP profiles for memory speeds higher than DDR3-1600.

Gigabyte specs say that the GA-Z97-HD3 will support memory speeds up to DDR3-3100.

Make sure that any memory kit you buy supports XMP. After installing the memory kit, go into the motherboard BIOS and select an XMP profile (there may only be one). The motherboard will then run the memory at the selected speed and timings. Doesn't matter if that speed is 1333, 1600, 1866, or anything up to 3100.

My build so far looks like this:

- NZXT H440;
- Gigabyte G1 GTX 970;
- i5-4690k;
- EVGA G2 650Watts;
- Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3;
- Kingston 120GB SSD;
- WD Caviar Blue 1TB;
- HyperX Fury 2x4GB 1866MHz;

I assume the HyperX Fury should be ok for the motherboard?

- NZXT H440;

- Gigabyte G1 GTX 970;

- i5-4690k;

- EVGA G2 650Watts;

- Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3;

- Kingston 120GB SSD;

- WD Caviar Blue 1TB;

Yes, the motherboard should have no issues with the HyperX memory.

- NZXT H440;

- Gigabyte G1 GTX 970;

- i5-4690k;

- EVGA G2 650Watts;

- Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3;

- Kingston 120GB SSD;

- WD Caviar Blue 1TB;

Yes it will be fine. Swap that SSD though for a Crucial BX100/MX100/MX200 or Samsung 850 EVO depending which is cheapest. The Kingston V300 is slow.

Swapped for the samsung 850 evo ends cheaper than crucial ones by around 10euros.