What does new generation like "Ivy Bridge" "Haswell" "Broadwell" etc. bring? Does it help in Gaming Performance?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

Basicaly. CPU performance stagnates prety much for quite some time. If you have unlocked Sandy Bridge CPU now there is no reason for you to upgrade if you are gaming. It would have no benefits at all.

Intel is mainly focusing on iGPU and power efficiency mostly right now so most benefits go for mobile devices and not for desktop. Only thing that makes sense over Sandy Bridge is the Haswell X99 platform if you are a lot into editing and such.

I want to know what are the advantages of paying heavily, just for a new generation of CPUs, new chipsets, etc. for those who want just gaming performance?

Basicaly. CPU performance stagnates prety much for quite some time. If you have unlocked Sandy Bridge CPU now there is no reason for you to upgrade if you are gaming. It would have no benefits at all.

Intel is mainly focusing on iGPU and power efficiency mostly right now so most benefits go for mobile devices and not for desktop. Only thing that makes sense over Sandy Bridge is the Haswell X99 platform if you are a lot into editing and such.

Certain benefits can be gained, but between Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell, it's lower power draw, slightly higher IPC, and higher performing integrated graphics.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It really depends. Think of gaming performance like this:

Your CPU limits you to X FPS

Your GPU limits you to Y FPS

You get whichever of the two is lower

There's WAY WAY more to it than that, and there's some interaction going on as well. This is just a gross oversimplification. Not to mention most of the time different frames, even in the same second, result in different loads on the CPU and these things rapidly change.

Bottomline: getting a new CPU is only beneficial if you have the GPU hardware necessary to drive it. If your current CPU isn't a limiting factor, it will do absolutely jack shit for you to get a new one.

However, for 144hz monitors, getting that highly overclocked, super strong single-threaded CPU is super important because it's really easy for a GPU to just turn settings/resolution down, but a CPU's load is unaffected by resolution or settings. It's really tough for CPUs to hit 144 FPS in many demanding games.

Pretty much 5-10% improvement over each generation. Per clock of course, clock rate also varies per gen

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

New generation means a newer chipset as well... For example, you're not going to have a lot of fun trying to run Intel 750 inside a Sandy Bridge machine. A few games are CPU bottlenecked but those are becoming less and less common I think.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Gaming wise, you should not have to worry as AMD is holding back the market at the moment. So until AMD improves their IPC so that developers can move somewhat forward utilizing CPU performance from both sides, as long as its called i5 from Sandy Bridge and up, that's all anyone really needs

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

Certain benefits can be gained, but between Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell, it's lower power draw, slightly higher IPC, and higher performing integrated graphics.

ok.

An does X99 and DDR4 RAM help gaming performance.

BTW, I do not do any editing/rendering..etc.

It's not that it helps, we all buy current CPUs, the question is when an upgrade makes sense, for now, people with a sandy bridge or newer will get a marginal imprevement at the price of a new CPU. It's more likely a person (specially gamers) will change their GPU 2 or 3 times before even considering a new CPU, and basically, why fix it if it ain't broken. When upgrade? when you need to, simple as that.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

ok.

X99 itself does not. Neither does DDR4. The Haswell-E CPUs might bring additional performance, but the sweet spot right now is using a CPU with four cores.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It really depends. Think of gaming performance like this:

Your CPU limits you to X FPS

Your GPU limits you to Y FPS

You get whichever of the two is lower

There's WAY WAY more to it than that, and there's some interaction going on as well. This is just a gross oversimplification. Not to mention most of the time different frames, even in the same second, result in different loads on the CPU and these things rapidly change.

Bottomline: getting a new CPU is only beneficial if you have the GPU hardware necessary to drive it. If your current CPU isn't a limiting factor, it will do absolutely jack shit for you to get a new one.

However, for 144hz monitors, getting that highly overclocked, super strong single-threaded CPU is super important because it's really easy for a GPU to just turn settings/resolution down, but a CPU's load is unaffected by resolution or settings. It's really tough for CPUs to hit 144 FPS in many demanding games.

Do I need to get anything more than an i5-4690K, as I am building a new PC, for gaming. I will be getting a GTX 970 now and will upgrade later. I might overclock if need be.

ok.

In simple terms, no, benchmarks show the same FPS for an I5 upwards, games are not using more than 4 threads at the moment and we have no sign they are going to start doing so

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

In simple terms, no, benchmarks show the same FPS for an I5 upwards, games are not using more than 4 threads at the moment and we have no sign they are going to start doing so

Some engines do use 4+ threads, such as Battlefield 4 and Far Cry 4. As a result, the 4770K does gain additional performance over a 4670K.

Do I need to get anything more than an i5-4690K, as I am building a new PC, for gaming. I will be getting a GTX 970 now and will upgrade later. I might overclock if need be.

For only gaming, an I5 is more than enough.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Some engines do use 4+ threads, such as Battlefield 4 and Far Cry 4. As a result, the 4770K does gain additional performance over a 4670K.

But if you compare that performance increase with the performance you gain putting that money on the GPU, it's a VERY expensive increase and in practice barely noticeble

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

The gain you're going to get with those extra cores is very small compared to what you're going to get with the money put into the graphics card, so it doesn't make sense. A game that is CPU bottlenecked is bottlenecked typically because it uses fewer cores in the first place, in which case having more cores hurts the performance because the more expensive CPU overclocks less well. Either way the difference is typically negligible. Typically.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

But if you compare that performance increase with the performance you gain putting that money on the GPU, it's a VERY expensive increase and in practice barely noticeble

Yes, we can agree there.

Thank You All! :)

My build is pretty much set:

i5-4690k

GTX 970

Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi ac and USB 3.1)

Samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd

I havent decided on the PSU yet? Would you recommend on the above build? I have no Idea how much Watts I need. And how to choose a Power Supply

And the cooler also? This is my first time building a PC, so I have no idea of choosing such parts