"Futureproofing", Efficiency and Noise.

Speakerator

Okay, I got a feeling that my current PSU isn't doing the trick anymore (severe fan noise, even in idle, see here), I tried to get my stuff together and look for a new one.

Since I have barely any knowledge about power supplies anymore TBH, I just jumped at known vendors. Various random calculators told me ~ 450W for my system config (2500 non k, 970, 1 SSD, 2 HDD, 2 more PCIe). My criteria are silent, (semi)modular, efficient (Gold or above) and around 100 bucks, but there is a ton of vendors out there - I honestly don't know what happened since the last time I shopped for a PSU.

I looked into a BeQuiet Straight Power 10 CM, 600 which 'd kind of suit my needs.  Can I go wrong with that? Or is 600W way over the top? Will probably change for skylake in 2016 if my trusted 2500 is finally overpowered and wouldn't like to get a new one again. I was also thinking about 970 SLI as an option instead of a new grafics card when the single doesn't suffice, but as I've read in various topics here, 600W won't suffice for that. So following this, a beefier PSU is probably a bad idea anywaySo - since PSU's are more efficient under full load anyway, wouldn't it be better to get a 500 / 550 W instead of 600 / 650W, and have it run "more efficiently" under full load? Or is that nonsense?

Any insight?

And, yes I do feel kinda sorry, since this is probably the million-and-first thread with "Should-I-buy-this-PSU", but I read a few threads on here and sincerely couldn't make my mind up a bit^^

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Okay, I got a feeling that my current PSU isn't doing the trick anymore (severe fan noise, even in idle, see here), I tried to get my stuff together and look for a new one.

Since I have barely any knowledge about power supplies anymore TBH, I just jumped at known vendors. Various random calculators told me ~ 450W for my system config (2500 non k, 970, 1 SSD, 2 HDD, 2 more PCIe). My criteria are silent, (semi)modular, efficient (Gold or above) and around 100 bucks, but there is a ton of vendors out there - I honestly don't know what happened since the last time I shopped for a PSU.

I looked into a BeQuiet Straight Power 10 CM, 600 which 'd kind of suit my needs.  Can I go wrong with that? Or is 600W way over the top? Will probably change for skylake in 2016 if my trusted 2500 is finally overpowered and wouldn't like to get a new one again. I was also thinking about 970 SLI as an option instead of a new grafics card when the single doesn't suffice, but as I've read in various topics here, 600W won't suffice for that. So following this, a beefier PSU is probably a bad idea anywaySo - since PSU's are more efficient under full load anyway, wouldn't it be better to get a 500 / 550 W instead of 600 / 650W, and have it run "more efficiently" under full load? Or is that nonsense?

Any insight?

And, yes I do feel kinda sorry, since this is probably the million-and-first thread with "Should-I-buy-this-PSU", but I read a few threads on here and sincerely couldn't make my mind up a bit^^

EVGA 550W GS will solve all of your problems.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Futureproofing........ugh that word

To be honest, I really just put it in there so people would open the thread, anticipate the bashing and eventually help  :P

It's kind of dumb when talking about a PSU^^

€:just looked it up on amazon, don't know why, but the 550W is EUR 100,64 and the 650W is EUR 100,98....^^ Amazon Germany is weird...

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302