CPU usage on a i5-4690k

Alphinon

I have never had any problems with the CPU, but recently I have been having problems with CPU usage. Even playing GTA:SA, I am getting 80-100% usage on the CPU, and it is bottle necking my PC to the extreme. I did a clean re-install of Windows (8), yet the same thing is happening, leading me to believe it is a problem with the actual CPU. Should I RMA it, and if so, how would I go about doing so?

Hello.
My rig;
CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.7GhzRAM: HyperX Fury 8GB vengeance @ 1600MhzGPU: MSI R9 270 2GB, MOBO: MSI Z-97 SLI, PSU: Corsair 750M semi-modular 

I have never had any problems with the CPU, but recently I have been having problems with CPU usage. Even playing GTA:SA, I am getting 80-100% usage on the CPU, and it is bottle necking my PC to the extreme. I did a clean re-install of Windows (8), yet the same thing is happening, leading me to believe it is a problem with the actual CPU. Should I RMA it, and if so, how would I go about doing so?

is it thermal throtteling? 

wow... pretty empty here...

Check your CPU temperatures to see if you need to reapply thermal paste or the cooler is not mounted right.

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

I am running at 35c, and it does not seem to be a problem. However, I have searched this problem and it seems very common with i5 - 4690Ks, however no-body seems to have a fix.

Hello.
My rig;
CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.7GhzRAM: HyperX Fury 8GB vengeance @ 1600MhzGPU: MSI R9 270 2GB, MOBO: MSI Z-97 SLI, PSU: Corsair 750M semi-modular 

Here is a picture of me playing DoTA 2, a game that should in no way be doing any damage to my CPU.

http://imgur.com/Pq3gX1a

Hello.
My rig;

The i5 4690k is a very hot running CPU, I recommend you switch out to an all in one cpu cooler from corsair, 240 or 120mm rad would do, you just need to get some better cooling on that sucker to stop it from thermal throttling.

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

The i5 4690k is a very hot running CPU, I recommend you switch out to an all in one cpu cooler from corsair, 240 or 120mm rad would do, you just need to get some better cooling on that sucker to stop it from thermal throttling.

I currently am running a H100i, it is in no way a thermal problem.

Hello.
My rig;

you are running 35 idle. what is the load temp? even with watercooling you can fuck up the mount :) 

you are running 35 idle. what is the load temp? even with watercooling you can fuck up the mount :)

It is running at 45c. There is no way that it is thermal throttling.

Hello.
My rig;

hmm.... and it is boosting to its maximum clock speed? that is very odd... do you have the chance to test out another mainboard or cpu?

hmm.... and it is boosting to its maximum clock speed? that is very odd... do you have the chance to test out another mainboard or cpu?

It is standing at 3.9ghz whilst playing, and it is not thermal throttling. I just has a huge CPU usage. I really want to get this fixed, but I cannot find anything anywhere.

Hello.
My rig;

It is standing at 3.9ghz whilst playing, and it is not thermal throttling. I just has a huge CPU usage. I really want to get this fixed, but I cannot find anything anywhere.

Remount it. You probably fucked up the mount so its not making good contact.

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Remount it. You probably fucked up the mount so its not making good contact.

Which is not making contact?

Hello.
My rig;

Here is a picture of me playing DoTA 2, a game that should in no way be doing any damage to my CPU.

http://imgur.com/Pq3gX1a

What ACTUAL PROCESS is causing the spikes.?

The Process list should be able to see this.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Well, what's your GPU?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Well, what's your GPU?

Sorry I missed it earlier, its a R9 270, MSI OC. It seems like it is not the GPU lagging out, however.

Hello.
My rig;

Sorry I missed it earlier, its a R9 270, MSI OC. It seems like it is not the GPU lagging out, however.

Umm... That sorta sounds like a GPU bottleneck. Instead of the CPU effecting the GPUs performance it's the other way around. Try running some games with the iGPU and see if the issue is still present.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

What ACTUAL PROCESS is causing the spikes.?

The Process list should be able to see this.

In the case of the games that I was playing, here seems to be some results;

GTA V is running at around 50 - 80%, with 80% causing 100% usage of my CPU. However, this is with the game running at 720p windowed, so 1080p results are different.

Adventure Capitalist is running at 40% CPU usage stable.

Shadow of Mordor is running at 60% usage stable.

However, all of these are with 720p, rather then 1080p, my native res.

Hello.
My rig;

Umm... That sorta sounds like a GPU bottleneck. Instead of the CPU effecting the GPUs performance it's the other way around. Try running some games with the iGPU and see if the issue is still present.

Upon furthur testing, the GPU is only reaching about 50% usage. As such, I have deduced that it must be a CPU related issue. This issue seems fairly common when I searched online for answers, however nobody seems to have found a fix!

Hello.
My rig;

Upon furthur testing, the GPU is only reaching about 50% usage. As such, I have deduced that it must be a CPU related issue. This issue seems fairly common when I searched online for answers, however nobody seems to have found a fix!

Did you take the card out and try playing Dota with the iGPU?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

What difference would that make.

He's explained what's happening and it's clearly a CPU related issue.

His GPU is not being stressed.

The CPU should not be at 100% usage in any of the above situations.

Using the iGPU wouldn't prove/disprove anything.

@Alphinon can you tell us what process is taking up all the CPU headroom using task manager?

No. Excuse me, but what would be the use of that, and what could that tell us?

Hello.
My rig;

No. Excuse me, but what would be the use of that, and what could that tell us?

Can help identify a bottleneck.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Can help identify a bottleneck.

DoTA 2 is not causing me any lag, however. 

can you tell us what process is taking up all the CPU headroom using task manager?

Sure. The headroom is being used by games. GTA V is running at around 50 - 80%, with 80% causing 100% usage of my CPU.  Adventure Capitalist is running at 40% CPU usage, and Shadow of Mordor is running at 60% usage.

Hello.
My rig;

The next question to ask from your OP..

I am getting 80-100% usage on the CPU, and it is bottle necking my PC to the extreme.

Elaborate on this more...

How?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz