Looking for developers to help on my new project.

LeightonPC
Hi there,

I am looking for PHP developers and Windows Program developers for my next project. It is a large one, and is not going to be paid until we start getting either investors (unlikely) or it is finished and starts making money. This will put 95% of you off and I 100% understand that. But for those of you who are still interested this is my idea. Fully disclaimer, this is not an original idea... Just some stuff will be very different.

So, we all know steam, and the drama over it recently. My idea is for a non-affiliated company which means that we are not a game developing company ect making it so those games are prioritized and stuff like that. It will have a lower cut that we take which will make it appealing. Yes, I understand that this is hard but I believe that with the right crew this can be done. I am happy to pay for servers, web hosting and stuff like that when we need it but financial help would go a long way if it was available. If you would like more information and feel like you can help add me on Skype LeightonT_ and I will tell you more. I am not asking for an application, it will just be a few questions and I would want to see some stuff that you had done so that I know you can develop.

Thanks in advance,

Leighton

Edited by prolemur
fixed for dark theme

g2a, gog, steam, kinguin, origin, greenmangaming. please...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

There are enough game distribution platforms out there. We don't need one more

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

g2a, gog, steam, kinguin, origin, greenmangaming. please...

Yes, and I know that people were going to comment like this... But may I?

g2a - Store, not a launcher

gog - Publisher

steam - I know, i know and a Publisher

Kinquin - Store, not a launcher

greanmangaming - Store, not a launcher

My goal is to do something different, and I understand how people get mad when there are more than one game re-seller although my plan is different. I know it will be hard but I have the patience and support/sales/management experience to lead this. I have been backed by a hosting company and have been offered other partnerships that I am looking at. We need to try and combat the monopoly they call Steam and stop handing money to GabeN. Haters are going to hate but this is not going to stop me from trying.

I see where all of you are coming from, but steam isn't the best thing out there... Support = Shit, Policies = Shit and the list goes on.

We need to try and combat the monopoly they call Steam and stop handing money to GabeN. Haters are going to hate but this is not going to stop me from trying.

I see where all of you are coming from, but steam isn't the best thing out there... Support = Shit, Policies = Shit and the list goes on.

So wait you just want people to put their games on your platform and use them because you have a better launcher? Will you be selling those games? You also have to realise steam is not king because it's the best, it's king because it's reliable, many people have hundreds of games on steam and it's like a bank of games, could you provide service even close to steam in terms of its reliability?

Origin, run by a company that has millions of dollars actually tried that and at first it was SO BAD and I mean it was BAD.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

So wait you just want people to put their games on your platform and use them because you have a better launcher? Will you be selling those games? You also have to realise steam is not king because it's the best, it's king because it's reliable, many people have hundreds of games on steam and it's like a bank of games, could you provide service even close to steam in terms of its reliability?

Origin, run by a company that has millions of dollars actually tried that and at first it was SO BAD and I mean it was BAD.

Yes, I 101% understand where you are coming from... I will be offering game developers a better deal than steam and I do have contacts to get new game developers to come put there games with us... You have to understand that I know that it will not be instant. It will take time to get contacts in big game companies but that does not worry me. I can start at the bottom with indie games and work my way up to bigger games. The reliability is a large thing, and I can relate to what you said with the bank of games. I have invested thousands into it, and I dont expect that to come fast. Their reputation is a big part to their success. Again, time is on my side, I am not rushing this so if people just slowly start flowing in rather than rushing in it does not bother me. I am not going away any time soon! 

I know it will be hard but I have the patience and support/sales/management experience to lead this. I have been backed by a hosting company and have been offered other partnerships that I am looking at. 

...I have invested thousands into it...

Hang on, on your profile it states that you are 15. No offence but where and when have you possibly been able to accrue the 'support/sales/management experience' let alone the 'thousands' from exactly? Have you even left school yet?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Hang on, on your profile it states that you are 15. No offence but where and when have you possibly been able to accrue the 'support/sales/management experience' let alone the 'thousands' from exactly? Have you even left school yet?

Profile is right, and I am not lying about the experience either... In this day and age people of my age can get into businesses easy. I worked at a local store when I was 14 doing sales, and I have been in the hosting business a lot. I have also run my own development team which got quite successful. From all this I then had the money to spend what I did on steam.

It is illegal to leave school at my age in my country. They are all fair points that you have made, because most people my age dont have that under their belts. 

One technical question though:

Why do you want windows technologies, but use PHP? If you decide to develope on Windows (C#, C++ or whatever) isn't much more easier to use ASP.NET for the website?

My beast (PC):

• ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Black Edition, X79, LGA2011, AC4
  • 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Intel Core i7 4930K BOX (LGA 2011, 3.40GHz) OC @4.4GHz
  • Corsair H100i, CPU Cooler (240mm)
  • Samsung SSD 830 Series (512GB)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB
  • Western Digital 512GB HDD
  • TridentX 4x 8GB 2400MHz
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

Why do you want windows technologies, but use PHP? If you decide to develope on Windows (C#, C++ or whatever) isn't much more easier to use ASP.NET for the website?

I assume he's wanting PHP developers for the website and Windows devs for a stand alone client. 

Well I am sorry to say this, but I think you don't have enough experience to do such a huge project in my opinion.

I mean you really seem mature and may know what you are talking about (at least from what I can see from your post), but knowledge is not everything, you also need a lot of experience to pull something like this off, especially if you want to succesfully copete against those big companies like valve, EA, Ubisoft, ...

My beast (PC):

• 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

I think it would be a cool project but....

eXU3BR7.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

You have no idea what you are saying.

1. You do not have experience.

2. In commercial software development your supposed 'thousands' is peanuts.

3. you can't afford servers for any type of serious distribution.

4. Asking people to work for no pay is against the law in almost every developed country.

5. You likely aren't able to even register a company where you live at 15 without having an adult sign for you.

and the problems don't end there.

[...]

4. Asking people to work for no pay is against the law in almost every developed country.

[...]

Really? I dont know any country in europe where this is against the law, not even in the US this is against the law.

Every single charity or non-profit organisation would be game over with such a law...

My beast (PC):

• 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

Really? I dont know any country in europe where this is against the law, not even in the US this is against the law.

Every single charity or non-profit organisation would be game over with such a law...

They volunteer knowing they won't get money. If OP promises money to people in exchange for their work (which he has) then never delivers, he's in a ton of trouble. 

I think the biggest issue here is that you can't enter a contract with a minor, which this essentially would be.

What you are proposing is impossible for a person in your position.....notice I said in your position, even if you had all the resources, startup cash and talent it would still be improbable.

1. your basis on using PhP and Windows app development is incorrect. I'm assuming you have no experience with client server architecture, and if you were focused on a Microsoft stack you would be using ASP.net for both your client and website. If you don't know the technologies involved then you can't even get an effective team together.

2. There are legal ramifications for store fronts, you would need a lawyer every step of the way to make sure that you are operating your business within the bounds of the law

3. For stuff like a storefront you need the whole software suite of software architects, Programmers and QA, it needs to be secure for handing data transactions.

4. Software is expensive....I'm going to be blunt and its going to hurt, programmers and software engineers are paid top dollar in today's industry because there are simply not enough of them and the barrier to entry is a learning curve that dwarfs mount Everest. What if i told you that even the smallest app for a company is on the magnitude of $5,000+ to create it as the manhours in designing and programming it are that much. one programmer with a salary of $50,000 a year would be $26.00/hr, a small company app would run you about a month or $4166, now lets be real 50k is actually really low for alot of programmers when the average as of 2013 was $80,930. Even a small team of developers (5 people) costs $$$$$$$$$$$. With this in mind no one in there right mind does software for free.

$26.00/hr

Thats very optimistic. I already earn like 40$/hour with an age of 24 in the field of software development...

But well, this is a swiss salary, maybe we get payed more, don't know...

My beast (PC):

• 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

Thats very optimistic. I already earn like 40$/hour with an age of 24 in the field of software development...

But well, this is a swiss salary, maybe we get payed more, don't know...

Thats why I said $50,000 was really low, I just picked the number as it still seems like alot of money compared to other fields.

(im 22, 1 college semester left and have been programming since high school. I have had job offers on the table since the middle of junior year and am already looking at 3 offers with each of them in the range of $90,000 - $130,000)

Thats why I said $50,000 was really low, I just picked the number as it still seems like alot of money compared to other fields.

(im 22, 1 college semester left and have been programming since high school. I have had job offers on the table since the middle of junior year and am already looking at 3 offers with each of them in the range of $90,000 - $130,000)

And a freelance wage can be several times that again.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Having used both C#, PHP, and tried ASP.NET C#, I really am not personally convinced that C# is ideal for use as a hypertext preprocessor.

Those were however my first impressions, being someone who's used PHP for almost 5 years now. For example, with PHP, I can call an echo ""; statement anywhere. The basic equivalent of that in C# would be Console.WriteLine(""); and I'm used to seeing that within a function. Using Console.WriteLine(); outside a function would seem slightly unusual. And besides that, C# also has a Web namespace for use with online applications, which in my opinion could confuse someone migrating from another preprocessor language such as PHP.

On the flipside though, if someone had experience in C# and even less in PHP they would most likely find it much easier to use C# on the web.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Having used both C#, PHP, and tried ASP.NET C#, I really am not personally convinced that C# is ideal for use as a hypertext preprocessor.

Those were however my first impressions, being someone who's used PHP for almost 5 years now. For example, with PHP, I can call an echo ""; statement anywhere. The basic equivalent of that in C# would be Console.WriteLine(""); and I'm used to seeing that within a function. Using Console.WriteLine(); outside a function would seem slightly unusual. And besides that, C# also has a Web namespace for use with online applications, which in my opinion could confuse someone migrating from another preprocessor language such as PHP.

On the flipside though, if someone had experience in C# and even less in PHP they would most likely find it much easier to use C# on the web.

Seriosuly?

Okay I am having a hard time taking you seriously over here. Trying to "bash" a language, when you don't even know what "Console" means?

You are arguing like a religious person saying "The sun goes up everytime, therefor god". You have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't even know where to start...

For first: Console.WriteLine() writes to the CONSOLE, not to an HTML output. Due to this statement I can safely asume you never actually done anything in ASP.NET

Second: The only point where PHP has an advantage are costs (in terms of licensing) and that it is open source. Other than that I don't see any advantages over ASP.NET.

Third: You are clearly a PHP fan, which I have absolutly no problem with. But bashing a technology when not even understanding the MOST BASIC of it (looking at your Console.WriteLine() statement), is just wrong on so many levels.

I have programmed with both PHP and ASP.NET for a decade. There are so many reasons why ASP.NET is better for a large scale project as this one.

My beast (PC):

• 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

Oh now this just took a sudden turn from the...

n3WzGEc.jpg

To the...

ekGNpdy.jpg

I guess I just asked the wrong forum...

A lot of what you guys say is true, but other parts are not. I won't be stopped from trying, and it might not work but that doesn't bother me.