Netgear WNDR34000v2 Won't Port Forward No Matter What I Try

eddylambo

I have tried everything that I could, but I could not get the router to port forward. Anyone have any suggestions?

Is that a router you got/rented from your ISP? If so it might be locked. I have had problems with this before.

I got this router the ISP did not provide it.

How good are your networking skills?

If I said you need to setup your PCs internal IP to a static IP would you know how to do that?

Heres a guide for your router however its for 7DTD but the process is the same for any app, just change the port.

Lastly in my experience of home setups its usually a software firewall causing port forwarding issues more than a hardware one. What AV/Security software are you using?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I got this router the ISP did not provide it.

Are you sure your using the right password?

Routers tend to let you into the BIOS's GUI after so many times of entering a password but when you try to edit something in the BIOS, it will then not accept the Edit. 

Do you remember to click save/submit button?

Something I myself often do is type in all my changes for a new in home NAS I am setting up that I can also access on the go, and I do not click save or submit and get to a place somewhere else, and try to connect to my home network to retreive some files and realise I didn't port forward all the way.

If you are not seeing Port Forwarding in your routers BIOS.

If this is the case, look up your exact router and how to port forward, and if it is possible on your router you should get results on where to find it.

Are you inserting the proper ipv4 address/is it a static address?

You have to insert the ipv4 of the computer you are opening the port on and it has to be static, meaning it does not change.

Are you port forwarding the firewall on the computer itself if it is a windows/mac machines?

To portforward the firewall on windows you will open your start menu search 'Firewall'  and click Windows Firewall with Advanced Security navigate to Inbound Rules  on the side bar to the left and click New Rule on the side bar to the right. Now do the same except going to OutBound Rules and clicking New Rule. Remember you have to fill out the rules properties according to the port you are forwarding and either if it is TCP, UDP, or Both.

Edit: forgot to answer the final question :P

over 9000 stream cores

How good are your networking skills?

If I said you need to setup your PCs internal IP to a static IP would you know how to do that?

Heres a guide for your router however its for 7DTD but the process is the same for any app, just change the port.

Lastly in my experience of home setups its usually a software firewall causing port forwarding issues more than a hardware one. What AV/Security software are you using?

I am currently not using any Antivirus and I've used that guide before but the port is always closed for some reason.

I am currently not using any Antivirus and I've used that guide before but the port is always closed for some reason.

and no I would not know how to do the IP thing

Are you sure your using the right password?

Routers tend to let you into the BIOS's GUI after so many times of entering a password but when you try to edit something in the BIOS, it will then not accept the Edit.

Do you remember to click save/submit button?

Something I myself often do is type in all my changes for a new in home NAS I am setting up that I can also access on the go, and I do not click save or submit and get to a place somewhere else, and try to connect to my home network to retreive some files and realise I didn't port forward all the way.

If you are not seeing Port Forwarding in your routers BIOS.

If this is the case, look up your exact router and how to port forward, and if it is possible on your router you should get results on where to find it.

Are you inserting the proper ipv4 address/is it a static address?

You have to insert the ipv4 of the computer you are opening the port on and it has to be static, meaning it does not change.

Are you port forwarding the firewall on the computer itself if it is a windows/mac machines?

To portforward the firewall on windows you will open your start menu search 'Firewall' and click Windows Firewall with Advanced Security navigate to Inbound Rules on the side bar to the left and click New Rule on the side bar to the right. Now do the same except going to OutBound Rules and clicking New Rule. Remember you have to fill out the rules properties according to the port you are forwarding and either if it is TCP, UDP, or Both.

Edit: forgot to answer the final question :P

my ip isn't static. is that the reason why it won't port forward

and no I would not know how to do the IP thing

Without a static IP address its likely your forwarding the port to the wrong internal IP address, in other words the port is open, just not for your PC.

Its very important you setup a static IP address as DHCP uses auto assignment and its possible your machine could be assigned a different address every time you turn it on (by your router).

Try this guide, its pretty decent. Instead of getting your DNS server address from your router just use the gateway IP as DNS1 and leave DNS2 blank.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

how do I make my IP static

First Open Networking and Sharing Center, go to change adapter settings, select the connection you are getting your internet from and right click and go to properties. Go to the part that says Internet Protocal Version 4 and open a CMD and do ipconfig /all locate your default gateway and insert this into the pop up you got when you hit properties for Internet Protocal Version 4 and the subnet mask and then choose an IP to be your static IP using the first 3 sections of your default gateway (Example: 192.168.1 are my first 3 sections) then the last section being what you want your static IP to be, I set mine to something like 20 but you can use the ipv4 address you find in the command prompt when you do ipconfig /all and it is a safe bet no other device on your network uses this one and for DNS I usually use the same DNS servers as I see in the prompt, but if you want you can use google's DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

over 9000 stream cores

Without a static IP address its likely your forwarding the port to the wrong internal IP address, in other words the port is open, just not for your PC.

Its very important you setup a static IP address as DHCP uses auto assignment and its possible your machine could be assigned a different address every time you turn it on (by your router).

Try this guide, its pretty decent. Instead of getting your DNS server address from your router just use the gateway IP as DNS1 and leave DNS2 blank.

People always seem to comment before me :( I over did that one comment with the bold and stuff :P

over 9000 stream cores

Thank you I was able to get my  IP to a static one, but i tried port forwarding with the internal IP and the port is still closed

I still need help I tried a static ip and Windows Firewall