Installing a operating system without an cd

Hi, i am going to build a pc without an cd/dvd drive. Now i am wondering how do i install annoperating system on my pc. Can i tjust buy a external dvd drive and plug it in and do it that way ? Or isnt it going to work..

You can use USB and create bootable USB out of it.

You can use Rufus.

Or use Command Prompt like in this video:

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Just use a USB flash drive and something like Rufus, no need to get an external dvd drive, unless you're going to use it for something more than installing the os

Lenovo Y50 (i7-4710HQ, 1TB SSHD, 16GB RAM, 860m 4GB), Nikon D3300 (lenses: 18-55mm kit, Tokina 70-210mm vintage)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english :/

Okaay so i can tjust plug en external drive in. And if this doesnt work how do i get windows8 on a thumbstick

I need an external drive anyway so

Then you can install the os from the external dvd drive. Pretty much all computers support it, some old motherboards from like <2004 might not support it but you're building new so it's going to work

Lenovo Y50 (i7-4710HQ, 1TB SSHD, 16GB RAM, 860m 4GB), Nikon D3300 (lenses: 18-55mm kit, Tokina 70-210mm vintage)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english :/

Rufus
WinInstallFromUSB

Windows USB Deployment tool

Boot Disc Creator on Linux etc.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

Rufus

WinInstallFromUSB

Windows USB Deployment tool

Boot Disc Creator on Linux etc.

Universal USB Installer

Hasn't let me down so far, used it to install Win7/8/8.1, ubuntu, kali and linux mint.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Hi, i am going to build a pc without an cd/dvd drive. Now i am wondering how do i install annoperating system on my pc. Can i tjust buy a external dvd drive and plug it in and do it that way ? Or isnt it going to work..

If you can get your hands on a DVD drive, just burn the image to a USB. If not, download an ISO of the OS you're going to install and use the product key you purchased (it's not illegal to download an ISO of the OS as long as you use a legally purchased product key).

Thank you i have created an boot usb drive. I allready have an pc with windows 8 so i used it to make the drive. When i boot my new pc and boot from the drive is the operating System auto transferd to my ssd or do i have to do it myself?