Asus Fan Extension Card

This product has caused quite a lot of confusion for me. I cant find hardly any information anywhere and the manual barely touches on it. I have the Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard and I have all of the fan slots taken up by case fans. The CPU fan is connected to the H100i connector. So I just have the CPU_opt left. I have mounted the fan extension card. I connected the molex power, 2 DC fans, and the 5 pin connector that goes to the motherboard. When I turn the PC on, the fans connected to it will run but they don't show up in the fan settings in the bios and in AI Suite. My question is, am I supposed to connect the 4 pin-In connector to something like the CPU_opt to make it show up? Should I unplug the molex? I attached an image of it. Its just strange because they didn't include a 4 pin connector for it to go to the motherboard. Thanks!

post-198549-0-43496600-1436161377.jpg

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

There has been a thread about this thing. It's a bit old, but I think it has the information that you were looking for: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/226203-the-asus-fan-extension-card-i-may-be-slightly-confused/

EDIT: Actually, I'll just answer you here. I looked at the manual and it says to only connect the 5 pin header from the extension card to the motherboard, which is a bit silly. You also have to add a molex connection to it to give power to the extra fans. As for the 4-pin header right next to the 5-pin one, my guess would be that it was placed so that for whatever reason, you didn't want to have full control over the fans in the extension card or you are using this card without the motherboard and you can't use the 5-pin connection in both cases, the 4-pin header will then connect to one of your PWM headers on your motherboard and basically act as a PWM splitter.

Do a bit of trial and error and connect both the 4-pin and 5-pin and see what happens, but make sure to have the molex connection as it will feed power to the fans. The 5-pin connection should result in the extra 3 fans that are connected to the extension card to appear as individual fans that can be independently controlled through ASUS software/bios.

WHEW, THAT WAS A BIG WRITEUP!

Anyway, hope this helps.

There has been a thread about this thing. It's a bit old, but I think it has the information that you were looking for: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/226203-the-asus-fan-extension-card-i-may-be-slightly-confused/

EDIT: Actually, I'll just answer you here. I looked at the manual and it says to only connect the 5 pin header from the extension card to the motherboard, which is a bit silly. You also have to add a molex connection to it to give power to the extra fans. As for the 4-pin header right next to the 5-pin one, my guess would be that it was placed so that for whatever reason, you didn't want to have full control over the fans in the extension card or you are using this card without the motherboard and you can't use the 5-pin connection in both cases, the 4-pin header will then connect to one of your PWM headers on your motherboard and basically act as a PWM splitter.

Do a bit of trial and error and connect both the 4-pin and 5-pin and see what happens, but make sure to have the molex connection as it will feed power to the fans. The 5-pin connection should result in the extra 3 fans that are connected to the extension card to appear as individual fans that can be independently controlled through ASUS software/bios.

WHEW, THAT WAS A BIG WRITEUP!

Anyway, hope this helps.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Does the extension work fully with 3 pin fans? Wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

Thanks, I appreciate it. Does the extension work fully with 3 pin fans? Wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it.

The newer ASUS motherboards do support 3-pin fan control through voltage modulation, but the only way to make sure is to connect everything and try to control them. Now that you know which cables to connect and not blow up your system (lol, that's a joke, you can't blow up your system), you can go ahead and do some trial and error. Do update us with your findings!

The newer ASUS motherboards do support 3-pin fan control through voltage modulation, but the only way to make sure is to connect everything and try to control them. Now that you know which cables to connect and not blow up your system (lol, that's a joke, you can't blow up your system), you can go ahead and do some trial and error. Do update us with your findings!

Will do, thanks!